“Truly Fantastic!”

Ranked #3 of 78 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: US$56 - US$163
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Muse has become renowned for not only its food but also for its professional and friendly service. Offering a season driven Contemporary Australian menu, the food is fresh and exciting without overcomplicating the ingredients. Using quality produce, sourcing locally whenever possible, the dishes show technique, restraint and respect.
Reviewed 16 September 2017

A couple of friends from Sydney told us about this restaurant plus all the excellent reviews, we had to come for lunch and the experience was truly fantastic.

Every dish was creatively prepared and presented starting with a serving of warm charcoal bread. We had a party of 12 so we went for the 2-3 courses sets and tried as many different dishes as we could. We couldn't find fault with any. The menu changes with season but i believe they keep the Coconut for desert, gotta try that!

Given the size of our party, we did our reservation like 1 month ahead but unfortunately there was some confusion so we had to wait for a while. The manager was very apologetic and tried to make good. Great Job and service by other staff were excellent.

1  Thank Gary Y
Write a ReviewReviews (1,137)

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We've been visiting Muse a couple of times a year for a few years now. In my previous reviews I advised one and all, it was the BEST in Pokolbin. Sadly it is no more.

$105 for four courses, the price isn't the problem.. the food is.

The little extras from the chef used to be DIVINE. this time, the black pumpkin fritter was amazing but the others were a single potato chip and a dry cracker .... sure they had a topping... but that's what they were.

First course, no option... cauliflower and yogurt.... definitely making a good profit on that one.

Second course, I had the potato and abalone.... it tasted like raw spiralised potato with a lukewarm chicken broth. My husband had the chicken... it was thigh made into a terrine.... another good profit being made and we're halfway through the menu.

Main course was Murray River cod, quail or Hunter beef. Being in the Hunter, the beef was the most popular option... they sting you for an extra $5 there. Not much you say, greedy I say as the courses used to be all the same price on a prix fixe menu.... not anymore... in the past we had the sous vide beef which was melt in your mouth tender so one did not need a steak knife. This time it was fatty and tough, cutting it with a butter knife shook the whole table. Very disappointing.

The verjuice granita has stayed the same for a long time.... I've never been a fan of frozen wine with chopped raisins.

Dessert.... the Muse coconut .... reason enough to dine at Muse..... but the waitress mixed up the order and served my husband the wrong dish .... (our order was simple.... no special requests, different for the first course and the same for the other two... we were early, it wasn't busy....) she did offer to change it but with our ride waiting there was no time. She took off one $8 beer for her error... I daresay the Muse coconut would cost more than $8 on an a la carte menu. My husband said the dessert was DREADFUL - white chocolate cream, kumquat, spiced bread.... it certainly wasn't visually appealing. The Muse coconut, on the other hand, was as divine as ever.

No delectable macarons.... no visually impressive nitrogen frozen wasabi on paper thin sashimi... no melt in your mouth beef... as you can see, our love affair with Muse came to an abrupt end last night.

$338 for dinner and wine for two.... with only the black pumpkin fritter and Muse coconut being of the standard we've come to expect here. There are better choices in the Hunter...

4  Thank Stazza G
Reviewed 14 September 2017

This restaurant is located in the Pokolbin region in Hunter Valley. The restaurant is very elegant both inside and out. We tried the tasting menu which has 4 courses. You can add a cheese course if you'd like and include wine pairings as well. The presentation of every dish was elegant, almost too pretty to eat. The service throughout dinner was impeccable. I never had to ask for anything. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the region and looking to relax with some great food and wine.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Heard about this restaurant online, so decided to take my wife here to celebrate her birthday. Located just off Broke road, just a couple of minutes from Hunter Valley Gardens, it was very easy to find. They also have plenty of parking up front for their customers.

Service was impeccable with all our meals well spaced out, fully described when served, and nothing was too much trouble for our waitress Linda. We arrived just before our booking time, and we were seated very promptly. They gave us some table water to cool us down while we looked through the menu, We opted for the 3 course menu, with my wife & I ordering different dishes for each course so we can try more options.

Our lunch started with some Rye Sourdough bread served with what we think is macadamia butter. It was soft & creamy, and so tasty. This was followed by a very tasty charcoal looking corn puree to cleanse our palate before our entree was served. My wife had the daily special Turnip Gyoza, while I had the Jervis Bay Squid (with king brown mushroom, miso and sake cream, citrus kosho and coastal herbs), both of which were beautifully presented and taste divine.

The 2nd palate cleanser, a Chardonnay Granita, was even better than the first. Both of us wanted more before our mains arrived. My wife had the Steamed Murray Cod with white shitake, eggplant, baby bok choy and dulse seaweed, while I had the Armidale Lamb with roast onion, cavolo nero, goat's curd and black garlic togarashi. Have to make a special mention about the white shitake mushroom on my wife's dish because it was the best we have tasted. The flavor was absolutely divine, indescribably yummy.

However, the best was still to come in the form of the desserts. I had the famous Muse Coconut, while my wife had the Strawberries and cream, shiso sorbet and meringues. Both were extremely good, but my wife & I both agreed the Muse Coconut deserved its reputation. One of the best desserts we have ever had.

Our only criticism we had was the heat, as either they didn't have air-con or it wasn't working very well. The fans above did very little to generate a breeze, and we had to rely on our cold drinks to not overheat. This was the only blip on our otherwise perfect experience. We will definitely be returning to have the coconut dessert again at the very least.

1  Thank Tomme T
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

We had the pleasure in celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary at Muse for dinner and what an experience it was!!! The food was absolutely sensational and pairing wine with each course was something we will always treasure always. Thank you to the Muse Staff for a culinary experience to remember !!!

1  Thank Scott T