I have stayed at Golden Door Elysia 3 times now and after reading some of the negative reviews, I thought it best to dispell some misconceptions.
First and foremost, Golden Door is a HEALTH retreat - not a busy, cocktails by the pool, martinis in the bar kind of place. It's a place of peace, quiet, and reflection - and a lot of fun.
Yes, there is no meat.. big surprise. What else would you expect from a health retreat? You aren't forced to eat tofu and mungbeans all day - there is plenty of delicious health cuisine including lots of seafood. I think tofu was served in two meals during the 7 days I was there on my last visit. (2 out of 21 meals total ain't bad). There are plenty of fruit and nuts for snacks throughout the day too!
Health retreat = no meat, no sugar, no caffeine, no salt or pepper, no bread, no chocolates, no alcohol... just good quality, health foods!
The accomodation is excellent - the rooms are large and airy, have great views, excellently appointed, and yes, there are a few spiders along with the kangaroos.. you are in a bush setting after all. And it would seem kind of odd to run around killing every other living insect at health retreat...
ps - the spiders there are all small and non-venomous and more scared of you!
There aren't lots of staff running around because this isn't a traditional hotel. But between the front desk and the Wellness Centre, you can always get hold of someone to help you.. The Wellness Centre will make all your bookings in the Day Spa for you and the girls there are always more than happy to help
The trainers on site are all fantastic - some of the best in the industry - and they have all been there over the 3 years I have been going.
You choose what you want to do - pamper in the day spa, be active and particpate in activities, or just sit in the lobby lounge.. it's all about what you make of it
Golden Door is a Health Retreat. Before going, have a look at their website and know what you are signing up for - all the information is there - then it won't be such a surprise and you might understand why they serve no meat, why they don't need hundreds of staff standing around, and you may just get something more out of it.
That "something more" is the life-changing part of Golden Door
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover wellness, balance and vitality, reach new peaks, feel inspired to make lasting health choices and unveil a new more balanced you. The Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia is a place where tired souls can be restored, new goals set and a wealth of knowledge gained to unveil a healthier, happier and more motivated you. All in the peaceful and serene surroundings of the Hunter Valley’s rolling hills, two hours north of Sydney. Whilst our facilities, accommodation and dining are remarkable, it’s the quality and warmth of our staff that keeps our guests coming back time and again. Our all inclusive health and wellness programs, provided under the guidance of our professional team, have been developed to motivate change and provide lasting results when continued back in everyday life. A holistic blend of exercise, nutritious cuisine, health education, relaxation and spa indulgence will allow you to discover new sources of energy and vitality. Located in the beautiful NSW Hunter Valley, The Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia offers magnificent views of vineyards and the Brokenback mountain range and the opportunity to breathe fresh country air each day. Featuring 74 stylish villas with one, two or three bedrooms, this exceptional property is the only purpose built Destination Health Retreat in Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia Hotel Pokolbin
- Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia