“Quite Nice”

Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Sydney, Australia
“Quite Nice”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

After a long day driving we were glad to get to the motel. No one was at the desk but after calling the mobile number on the door we were quickly given access to our room.

It was good value for money, the room was clean and fairly modern. Lovely little couch to relax on while we watched the decent sized TV and a nice looking room service menu. Pool also looked great but we didn't get a chance to use it. We stayed by the road and we didn't hear any road noise which we were grateful for after a long drive.

The bed was comfortable, although a bed with wheels on a wooden floor tends to slide around but nothing a pair of thongs couldn't fix.The shower head had a few issues and as much water ended up on the tiles as in the shower but motel showers always need some getting used to!!

The only negative was the people before us had set the alarm clock to go off at midnight on the loudest beeping you have ever heard. Good thing to always remember to check the alarm clock before you go to bed!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie_22382

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The room smelt really bad and the beds didnt have cups on them to stop them from moving all over the place spent all night chasing the bed around.....air conditioning didnt work properly it was horrible I cried knowing we had to stay here as we had dogs with us we were limited to where we could stay.....Never again avoid.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Maree H
Cessnock, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We booked last minute accommodation and by the reviews and photos it looked quiet nice. We were absolutely disgusted just driving into the accommodation with leaves piled in the driveway, and it looked like the garden hadnt been weeded in years. We opened the door with a keypad lock, which was the most expensive piece in the place, and there was a broken sofa bed in the lounge room with the mattress leaning against the wall, so you couldn't sit down to watch television. The toilet seat was broken, the airconditioner leaked and the shower needed a good scrub. There were no washes or bathmats for the bathroom and dust was everywhere. DISGUSTING

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Lisa E
JamesDanton, General Manager at Koala Tree Motel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Lisa, I'm sorry that you found some weeds in the garden outside and that there were also some leaves in the driveway..... aaaand that's where my sorrow stops.

Can I point out a few things that may have just slipped your mind surrounding the events the occured when writing this review? Thankyou!

For a start, let me remind you that you did let us know about the couch. It was the 1st of January, 2014 and apparently the guests the night before had destroyed the couch folding mechanism by jumping on it and so when you tried to pull it out, it seized and wouldn't go back in. That was fine but it left me with a problem to solve. Usually I would just go out and spend a thousand dollars and buy another new couch to replace the three month old one destroyed by morons but being the 1st of January all of the stores were closed and we had no spare ones to give you. I was determined to help, as so often I am and so I took MY OWN COUCH out of my house, loaded it into the back of my van and delivered it to you within fifteen minutes of your call. You were so grateful for the effort we put in that you didn't even say thankyou, once. And I got to spend the rest of the season sitting on our dining chairs. Want proof? Stay at apartment no.1 at our Koala Tree Apartments, you will see a suspiciously expensive brown leather couch there.

You just forgot to mention any of this, didn't you? Or that once there we fixed the slightly loose toilet seat but once again your memory had failed you and we weren't told about the six month old air conditioner (which for some reason hasn't leaked before or since, just on that one day, mysteriously and not while we were there for ten minutes) or you lack of washes(?) or a bathmat, so we couldn't help you.

Folks, I do go out of my way to help. I bend over backwards to help, I just think it stinks that when I do I get stabbed in the back with a cliched movie reference that probably hurt these people to think up for a title and a review that omits any kind of attempts I make to solve any issues encountered.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at the Koala Tree Motel on two separate nights whilst driving from Melbourne to the Gold Coast. We were travelling with a toddler and a dog and picked the Koala Tree Motel based on its pet-friendly status and good reviews online.

We were very disappointed with our experience. On checking in on our first night we were given our keys but on arrival in the room found there was no cot for our son. He had been missed off our booking but the way that management handled the situation was borderline insulting - their position was 100% that we hadn't included him in the booking. Even when I insisted I had - and could recall *very specific* details of the conversation - I was continually told that I hadn't. I don't believe that the customer is always right, but there was absolutely ZERO space in this guy's attitude to concede that they might have been the one in error. The cot was delivered quickly but was dumped in the rooom for us to assemble ourselves.

The rest of our first night was uneventful, but the stay was overall still disappointing. There were some positives: there is a little dog run to give the pooches some space to stretch their legs, the bed was comfortable with good quality linen and some effort has been made with bathroom renovations and mod cons (flat screen tv and electronic touchpad locks) to lift this away from its 70s motel vibe, but overall it was still not a pleasant stay. The aircon made the room smell musty, other furniture was old and blinds are old fashioned verticals that left us feeling a bit exposed to people walking on both verandas on either side of the room.

On our second night we arrived mid-afternoon (approx 3.30pm on a Friday ) to find the office closed with a note on the door to ring a mobile number. We did, reached the management who were clearly offsite, and were given a code to access our room. We got into the room with no issue but once again...no cot. We rang back and once again got the manager who actually asked "And how am I going to get one to you?". With NO other comment I was handed over to his colleague who apologised, gave me directions to the laundry room, the code to get in and where to find the linen. The cot was stored on a dusty bottom shelf with no cover (and when we set it up, found it very stained, which I understand happens with babies, but was still a bit offputting) but was told to just grab some adult bed linen instead when there was no cot linen left. Whilst this is fine for our toddler, it would be a serious issue for someone travelling with a newborn or infant where a tight fitting bottom sheet is critical for safe sleeping practice.

By the time I finished fishing the bits out of the laundry room I had been found by another guest who thought I was staff asking where his rooms were!

The rest of our visit passed without incident but when we headed into town at about 4.30pm (still within office hours and on a peak-season Friday) there were two other groups of people checking in who apparently couldn't get the management on the phone (one approached us to ask how we had gotten in to our room) and the office still wasn't open.

There are no circumstances under which we would ever stay at the Koala Tree Motel again, and in fact in the intervening week we discussed whether we should just find somewhere else to stay, but given we had pre-paid (a detail of which we were also not advised of at booking - just an email with a receipt) we thought we would just ride it out.

The biggest issue with the Koala Tree Motel is management's attitude. Even reading other negative reviews, their patronising responses to potentially legitimate complaints are disgusting.

Never again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank marikacook
Hello Mrs. Cook,
I'm not sure why you thought you had booked a cot as when we sent you a booking confirmation and tax invoice, as you mentioned, it makes no mention of your child having been booked or needing a cot. I'm looking at it now. We ask that when you receive this information that you check it and contact us immediately if there are any issues. We won't arrange a cot ahead of time if you haven't booked one, obviously. I'm sorry but what you recall doesn't help us at all and it behoves me to say that we even *very specifically* ask that you check your booking details in the confirmation to make sure that everything is as you want it. When you don't, it may not be. And the reason we didn't set up a cot for you is because everyone has their own ideas on how their baby's sleep area should be setup and so we leave that up to you to avoid the difficulty of setting things up in a way that you may perceive to be dangerous.

I am sorry to say that on your second stay we had been very abruptly called out of town to attend to a rather serious and painful family matter and that that was indicated to you by the sign on the front door, I only mention this because you haven't. And we were able to have everything organised for your stay and everyone else's that day, based on your booked requirements and once again, the only reason you didn't have a cot set up in your room, is, well, you. And does it even sound like the truth to say that I stopped talking after one sentence? I think not. Sorry, we weren't there for once to easily help you out of the situation you created and even not being there we did the best we could under the circumstances to try and help.

Also, I don't patronise folks who have legitimate complaints, I help them as best I can.
Sydney
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I normally would not stay in this style of property but it was a desperate last minute booking that could fit 5 people.

Huge disappointment as we got an old apartment in a fibro asbestos house.

There was a mixup in apartments which was no big deal until....

The apartment was unclean as there is dust in all the cupboards and cobwebs on the ceilings. The cooktop had thick oil on it (not that we were going to use the kitchen).

I have slummed it before and wouldnt mind at all except the soap in the shower from the previous tenants was still there. No toilet paper. Remote for the tv was missing. Only soap and shampoo for two people. No tissues.

The apartment was very ill prepared.

The only consolation was the good service but the apartment we got was not only run down but ill prepared.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank ck74au
I remember you and I was very embarrassed but the state of the apartment that we gave you. It was one of our off-site apartments and the cleaning staff that we had on at that time has since been dismissed for gross incompetence.

You might remember me, I'm the fellow who came out and tried to right some of the issues you were having, so thankyou for letting me know about the problems you had.

I can guarantee that this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore and even then it was an exception situation.

Thankyou Again,
James Danton
Tyers 3844 Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Though showing numerous Tripadvisor awards in the office this hotel was very disappointing. Cockroaches were found in the room, no hot water for the morning shower and pools of water in the bathroom. Though the manager was friendly and helpful the room was basic and the thin walls didn't help when the dog next door was left by its owners to bark until the late hours. Next time in Port Macquarie we will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rob B
Hi Rob and thankyou for your review but may I ask a question? What did I say when you came to me with your issues? What's that? You didn't tell me about any of the troubles you had at any point during your stay? Oh... so you just wanted to complain about it after the fact? Give me no chance to help you out in anyway? Why not? You must not have wanted to enjoy your stay... no, that can't be it. You mention that I was friendly enough but for some reason not approachable? Sorry Rob, if you can't tell me what's amiss then I'm not going to know, am I? Nope. All you've got to do is pick up the phone and dial 9, I'm here at all hours. You just sat there and let a dog bark in the room next to you without telling anyone? Why would anyone do that?

Folks, if you're staying at my property, your problems are my problems. I'm serious. I've helped people with some really tough stuff in the past and I know that you're probably not used to someone giving a damn about you as a guest, but I do. Like I've said, many times, try me out before writing off your visit, you might be surprised.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here after noticing a flat tyre on the car and it was to late in the day to be fixed. bathroom was unclean and drains had an awful smell coming up from them, can hear all the traffic outside and the walls are paper thin. They spent more money on there door locks then on the rooms themselves.
After leaving the next day we noticed $40 had been charged to our account with no reference as to why, when we called and asked why management claimed we broke the small crappy $10 lamp on the side table WHICH WE DID NOT EVEN USE!!!!!!!!!! They offered no proof of a broken side lamp nor would they send the lamp that I had now payed triple the price for and claimed they didn't have to inform us of any charges made to our account!! Disgusting customer service will be telling everyone I know to never stay there!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Laura M
It sounds as if your bad luck is my bad luck! As per usual, this is another single review guest whose only motivation for posting is to get revenge for asking that if you break something in one of our rooms you have to pay for it. Sounds elementary, right? It seems that to some people it's just downright bad customer service to ask such a thing. Why the nerve of it? I can't destroy your property with impunity? How utterly ghastly... I know this because this is what this guest told me when I told her she would have to pay for the lamp. I'm not talking about a mug or wine glass but when you break one of our bedside touch lamps then, yes you do have to pay for it. What's wrong with that? She's also lying about not letting her have the broken lamp as this is standard procedure but then, I'm not surprised, all things considered.

And then, for some reason, despite the fantastically awful situations you mention, none of this came to me during your stay. It was so awful you just forgot to mention it, huh? Yeah, right. Careful, you're going to break your '!' key. You do realise you'll have to pay to get another one don't you? Oh, no, not another completely unbiased, fact filled bad review....