“Dog friendly fantastic”
Review of Koala Tree Motel

Koala Tree Motel
Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We wish these owners success! Dog friendly and people friendly place. Clean stylish rooms. Wish they were located all over the country! Will stay again happily. They even have a veterinary nurse avail 24/7.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 22 March 2014

My partner and I found this motel simply because we were looking for pet friendly accommodation on our return from a holiday. We only stayed for a night, but what a pleasant surprise. Don't be put off by the exterior. It's obvious the owners are working to upgrade the property. Not only do they welcome pets but we found our room to be well appointed and most importantly, a fantastically comfortable bed with crisp linen (so important on a long drive). On our way up to Noosa we'd stayed at another pet friendly motel in Coff Harbour because we wanted to get a bit further along in our journey. There's no comparison. Believe me, next time up we'll be taking the shorter option and returning to the Koala Tree.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We arrived late in the evening only to find our booking which had been fully paid for was not booked, we were told to go off and come back in 25 min so the room could be prepared with no apology. Once in, the room was quite nice but had no milk or face washes and only one small soap, no soap dish in the shower and no hooks to hang towels. I thought this poor for the $149per night price tag. We had the disability suite and the tiles in the bathroom were very very slippery and no drop down shower seat as i have had in other disability suites. The exterior of the hotel is very untidy with a dead palm at each entrance to great you! We will not be staying here again. On a positive note we were glad our dogs were welcome.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 6 March 2014

After a very long drive in the heat, it was a delight to find the Koala tree Motel to not only have comfortable, updated rooms but also all new tea/coffee / microwave/ TV and toaster at our disposal. Comfy bed, pleasant outlokk and super friendly staff. We will be back as our dog misses the spoiling he received... ! Lovely owners, a young couple running the motel to try and exceed everyones expectations. We booked extra nights and enjoyed our stay very much. recommended highly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here on our move up to Lennox Head, and I must give credit to how friendly and accommodating the staff were. They also allow for dogs to stay which is a huge bonus. The rooms are clean and tidy with everything you'd need. Again, huge credit to the staff as they really took the time to have a chat and show us around. Highly recommend this place to anyone looking to stay in Port Macquarie. Thanks again guys - Tristan & Micalea Xx

Room Tip: Get a room on the high side as it's easy to drive in and out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Being senior travellers, two ladies, we found the motel in such a mess, firstly given wrong directions to the room, very fancy and up-to-date key, but the beds slid around from side to side on the wooden floors, with one of us falling to the floor - the little extras were not available and then when ordering continental breakfast, we said we would pick up about 8.30 pm, but as we were closer to nine on our return, we decided to wait until the morning rather than disturb - rang reception at 7.30 am, phone rang and rang and rang, eventually a very tired and grumpy man answered - we had woken him (oh dear!) then we asked for our ordered breakfast and he said it wasn't there and the staff didn't come in until 8.30 am - well what are we to do? Don't worry thank you, we will get something down the street - he rang back about half an hour later to say 'as I can't get back to sleep now, I can bring your breakfast down', - how nice of him !!! Never an ounce of apology either for the breakfast fiasco nor the fact that the whole area was under repairs and maintenance and it was most inconvenient for us to manhandle our bags such a long distance to our room - all in all A TERRIBLE TWO DAY STAY - DON'T GO THERE !!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Rama35
JamesDanton, General Manager at Koala Tree Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

This one boggles the mind.

Firstly, we know where are rooms are located. I think I know after sixteen years where they might be. I'll let the reader figure out whether I was the victim of a Vulcan mind wipe or if these 'senior travellers' just didn't listen. Secondly, our beds have bed stoppers, they don't move unless they are lifted out of the stoppers but as usual, I didn't hear about this problem which could have been fixed in about five seconds... over a two day stay.

Moving right along... what little extras? What does that mean? Were you recreating a scene from the Hobbit? We only heard from you twice over your two days stay. The first was to order a continental breakfast which is standard procedure to bring to you once ordered so that you keep it in your room until you'd like to have it the next morning.

Instead of that, you told us you would be around at about eight thirty to pick it up from reception, in fact, you made a big deal out of it not being brought down and that you would pick it up even though reception was open most of the night. As mentioned, you didn't do that. Instead, you made the second phone call of your stay and woke me up just after seven a.m. on a Sunday morning after I had gotten precious little sleep (after consoling my girlfriend for half the night after having one of my cats run over by a car) to have me walk your breakfast down to you after you didn't pick it up and didn't let us take it down to you. Oh dear? When am I allowed to sleep, can you tell me in advance? Another thing, I called you back THIRTY SECONDS after I hung up the first time (I know as I had just enough time to turn to my girlfriend, who was groaning having been woken up also, and exclaim, 'Well, I'm awake now!' and redial) and offered to bring your breakfast down to you (as we wanted to last night but were told NOT TO, BY YOU) and you said no, we're going down the street to get breakfast. Why would you even still be there a half hour later if you were looking to get breakfast right then? It doesn't even make sense.

So, in summary, you didn't tell us you had a problem with the bed moving around, you told us you would come and get your own breakfast from us and didn't. Then you woke me up first thing on a Sunday morning to have me bring it to you when we could have the night before, you labled the mess that YOU created a fiasco and then decided to tell the whole world what a jerk you were by waking me up, not giving a fig and then giving me a bad review... and you want ME to apologise to you? Bwuuuuuaaaahhh? It hurts to think of the crazy moon logic by which you must exist, it really does.

I also have a photo of your car in it, one taken while our new concrete was being put down (in response to other reviews that complained about the gravel noise...I knew that when I got rid of the gravel there would be SOMEONE complaining about the concrete for SOME reason) you had the grand voyage of about TEN METRES to walk from where your car was to your room. Even so, had you asked, we would have been happy to help you with your luggage but you didn't. So there!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

After a long day driving we were glad to get to the motel. No one was at the desk but after calling the mobile number on the door we were quickly given access to our room.

It was good value for money, the room was clean and fairly modern. Lovely little couch to relax on while we watched the decent sized TV and a nice looking room service menu. Pool also looked great but we didn't get a chance to use it. We stayed by the road and we didn't hear any road noise which we were grateful for after a long drive.

The bed was comfortable, although a bed with wheels on a wooden floor tends to slide around but nothing a pair of thongs couldn't fix.The shower head had a few issues and as much water ended up on the tiles as in the shower but motel showers always need some getting used to!!

The only negative was the people before us had set the alarm clock to go off at midnight on the loudest beeping you have ever heard. Good thing to always remember to check the alarm clock before you go to bed!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple