“A Plesant Surprise”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located at Sails Resort
Reviewed 14 November 2013

It has been some years since I last dined here (not a very happy experience) and obviously the change to Rydges has been of great benefit.

The service was excellent and the food was very good. We shared a "starter" of grilled haloumi. For mains I had a grilled steak which was cooked exactly as requested and my wife had the Barramundi which she said was as good as any she has tasted. The setting is first class being on the water at the Marina. The pianist played well but not so loud as to make conversation difficult.

Full marks to the staff and management for very enjoyable night out.

During daylight saving ask for a table at the window to enjoy the view.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

$37 for a couple of small prawns, same of oysters, pieces of calamari and fish with a salad comprising rocket and the odd tomato and slice of onion seemed a tad expensive. Meal cooked well though. Difficult to eat served in a bowl unless using fingers or a spoon! The wine same..re expensive and three day old white wine at $8 a glass?? No table cloths or place mats. Very ordinary!!!!

Breakfast was also expensive at $25 a head regardless of hot or cold.... only one hot and one cold but same price. Nuts salty. Large choice of Items. Won't be eating there again! Overall stay 5/10!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

As locals my wife and I have dined here on several occasions. The dining experience always leaves us with wonderful memories. Dining here last Monday night was no exception. Quiet attentive friendly service, wonderful food, expertly cooked. We both ordered the MSA graded eye fillet. One of the best steak meals we have ever eaten, no wonder we keep coming back. Congratulations to our Australian farmers for producing such wonderful beef.
Special mention goes to our waitress, Liz who is very friendly and attentive and who certainly added to the enjoyment of the night. Will be back.

Highly recommended to PMQ visitors and lovers of Australian beef.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Had an absolutely lovely couple meals here recently and there is always a very high standard of service and food. Bit pricey at times but you get what you pay for! Will be back

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I've been coming to this restaurant for YEARS and I recommend it to all of my clients, being in hospitality myself I even had my wedding reception here (I had to clean the brass railings and lamps myself the day before because, despite asking for it to be done no-one had bothered and also, during the dinner, a piece of the ceiling plaster fell into the dinner of my Grandmother in-law!)! This evening I took my girlfriend there for a nice night out after a busy day. At first we went to the Port Macquarie Panthers club, inquiring after a fine dining experience only to find what resembled a nursing home cafeteria, complete with harsh bright lighting, plastic tables and chairs, food wrapped in Glad and enough beige, overweight septegenarians to keep Honda in business forever. Plenty of pokies though, little slice of Vegas, really. We walked across the road to Sails Resort and Spinnakers, and sure enough, we got a good meal. Not having looked at prices as I ordered and not really caring, we ordered a half dozen natural oysters, a seafood basket (consisting of two small pieces of battered fish, two more oysters, two fresh prawns, two battered prawns and two pieces of calamari and some chips with a small, overly oily side salad) a serve of six small crab cakes and two beers. This came to a $104! Wow, oh well. Towards the end of the meal the waitress, who I had recognised as having worked there for some time and who probably remembered me came across specifically to mention that there is now a 3.5% surcharge on ALL credit cards sequel to the property being acquired by the Rydges corporation. No. There is no way after paying $9 for a Corona that you will DARE to add 3.5% on top. I don't mind paying an extortionate amount for what is nothing more than fish and chips but the gall of then charging people to use a credit card of any stripe? I know how it works, I'm in business myself, there IS a higher fee to be paid on Amex and Diners cards. I don't charge any more, you know why? I don't like offending my customers! Hey, owners of Sails Resort, you know how it's done? Either say, 'You know, I just can't let go of the, on average, 1.79% of the $9 Corona he just had to American Express. So we can keep his business, I think we should make the Coronas $9.20, factoring it into the price so as to not irritate people with a fee for daring to pay for a $100+ meal with a credit card' or 'Gee, you know what, we already make about six dollars on every bottle we sell, we could simply absorb that $0.17 cost so the customer is happy to come back and we can continue to look magnanimous for not affronting the customer with a hitherto unannounced surcharge when really we already make a fortune on our sale.' Sorry, you've lost me folks. After years of returning, I was quite content to keep coming back again and again but your intolerable penny pinching tonight was too much and you'll not see me or my Amex, Visa or Mastercard there again. A note for all who visit, nice place, good service, good food (if expensive and a little less imaginative than it has been in previous years) but take cash or your savings card, everything else gets 3.5% on top... for some reason.

2  Thank JamesDant0n