“Disappointing”

Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sails resort from Thursday 17th April till Saturday 19th of April. I booked this accommodation because they were offering a special deal for Easter. Also if I joined the priority guests we would get more discounts. While deciding whether to book or not online a pop up box appeared and offered me a room upgrade if I proceeded. I booked and requested a room with a waterview. We were given room 244. It was a very spacious room with a separate bedroom. It had a waterview however we had to look accross the top of a tin roof. It had a large private balcony. There was a kitchenette however the microwave had no plate in it.
The bed was dreamy as advertised however the pillows weren't.
There was a spa bath which we weren't expecting. Small but still a spa bath. The bathroom door had water damage on the bottom of it. The blockout curtain in the bedroom was disconnected on one end so the sun blasted in.
This room is normally $199.00 per night. We got the room for $135.00 per night as a priority guest with a buffett breakfast. This was also part of the Easter special deal.
The people in the next door stayed up late the first night till at least 1am playing a loud computer game that vibrated through the wall and there was also a humming noise like a motor that cut in and out all night. We had very poor sleep our first night because of these things.
We spoke to reception about the noisy neighbours. We were told to ring security if it happens again. I asked reception if they were going to speak to the people themselves. They were reluctant as these people were staying longer than us. We were eventually told that they would speak to the manager about talking to the noisy neighbours. No one did because it started again the next night. This time the receptionist on duty rang the neighbours and asked them to turn the noise down which they did. Unfortunately the humming engine cutting in and out type noise continued all night. Again we had poor sleep. We told reception about this humming noise and we were told well you got that room for $135.00 and it's usually $200. That's beside the point. We came here for two days to relax and rest. You had a special deal on. That doesn't mean you give your customers poor service. If you offer a special deal you should still give the same service. If you offer an upgrade it should be an upgrade. Also if one guest is staying longer it doesn't mean they should be treated better than the guest staying for a shorter period.

Room Tip: Don't choose or accept room 244.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

I agree, that is beside the point, and you shouldn't be treated differently to any other guest...! In fact, you should have been treated better as a Priority Guest Member. I am embarrassed.
I am embarrassed that this is the kind of service you received and extremely disappointed in the way the hotel staff handled this situation. If you know the name of the staff member you dealt with I would really like to discuss this with them.
I have the hotel's Maintenance Manager looking into this "humming" noise now, it is strange and not something I have heard of before.
I am please however that you were able to book the Priority Guest Rewards Easter Special online. A great special offering for this Easter that many guests were able to book, and something we may reproduce next year.
Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay. I apologies for the lack of attention you received during your stay and by my standards is inexcusable. If you are able to recall the staff member I would appreciate you being able to let me know.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Was put in a room on bottom floor next to 2 rooms being renovated, after check in at 16.30 a tradesman opened adjoining door and walked into our room. He apologised as he didn't know the room was occupied, the next morning (Good Friday) at 9am another tradesman barged through the door waking my wife and I and giving us an almighty fright, after a lot of hassle with front desk we were offered a different room. Was asked could we 'stick it out' for another night in the renovation room. This room should not have been for sale, it was money making at its worst. No care for guests at all. Poor.

• Stayed: April 2014

I am terribly sorry that these tradesmen entered your room whilst you were in there, it is extremely unacceptable. I have spoken with the painters responsible who would also like to pass on their apologies. Thanks to your feedback I have implemented a new procedure to ensure this does not happen to future guests.
Thank you again for your feedback and again, my sincere apologies for this disruption during your stay.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just stayed at Sails over this past weekend with our three children aged 12, 9 and 7 and had a fabulous relaxing weekend. We arrived Friday night and had a booking for Spinnakers restaurant. The service was wonderful with our children well catered for and our seafood meals were excellent. Our room a water studio was spacious enough for the five of us, the beds were comfortable and we had a beautiful view over the pool and to the Hastings river beyond. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the staff very attentive. Special mention of Lily who was there both mornings and was very kind and lovely to our children. The buffet was kept well stocked with fresh hot food e.g. pancakes, hash browns, eggs etc. We enjoyed the pool and spa on Sat afternoon and Sun morning. It was clean and inviting. Included in our package was a family ticket to Billabongs Wildlife Park which we all enjoyed. Breakfast was also included in our package. I am really glad Rydges has bought this property and are giving it a facelift. It is such a beautiful location and unique design. We stayed here about 10 years ago when our eldest was about 2 years old and thought our children would enjoy it and they did.
There was a wedding in the atrium and restaurant on Saturday afternoon and evening but this didn't bother us as we dined at Quay Lime nearby and the music stopped around 10.30pm. There are lots of dining and entertainment options in close walking distance with the marina, shopping centre and clubs nearby.My children thought it was fantastic that McDonalds was across the road and we had a quick lunch there on Saturday. Overall our stay at Sails was very good and the service was excellent. We will come back again.

Room Tip: Upstairs with a water view is very relaxing and quiet. No lift to the first floor if you can't m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words and wonderful feedback. I hear a lot of comments about guests that have stayed a long time ago and starting to come back and discover Sails Resort again. It is a pleasure to know that the hotel has so much meaning and history to previous travellers. Rydges is very excited to have added this property to its portfolio of hotels and is excited to get the refurbishment underway. Mock up rooms have already begun and are looking amazing. The hotel will get some photos online once they are finished.
Thank you again for your wonderful feedback, Lily was especially grateful. I hope to welcome you back to Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed just one night to break up the gold coast to Sydney drive. Rooms are quite dated, but I understand Rydges will be refurbishing. I hope they redo the bathrooms too, they are not too functional, with shower over bath and toilet in one room, and vanity and basin outside of that. Our bathroom did not have a working exhaust fan, so we had to leave the door open a bit while showering.

Only real disappointment was the beds, horribly hard and uncomfortable, with easily felt springs in the bigger bed. We booked a water deluxe studio because the Sails website said this room had Rydges Dream beds, and after a 7 hr drive all we wanted to do was sleep in comfy beds. But no, apparently only the rooms with king sz beds have dream beds. Best fix the website then.

We didn't get to try Spinnakers evening meals, as there was a wedding reception on, so the restaurant was closed. However we did have breakfast in the morning, and the food was really good. We have stayed at Sails before, and the breakfast has improved since then. In fact, as we said to the staff, it is better than the buffets at SeaWorld Resort, where we had just been for 6 nights. Well done to the chef.

Pool area is quite nice, not huge like big resorts, but i really like the stone around it, and the outlook on the river is gorgeous, lovely location. I hope that Rydges just renovates Sails and doesn't expand it. Part of the charm is the smaller size and friendliness. Good location too, opposite a shopping mall that has Woolies, Big W, etc, plus a McDonalds, petrol station, and a Panthers club. In saying that, you don't hear any noise from any of that, as it is not in the main part of the town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to pass on some feedback regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I was pleased to read that your overall enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I have passed on your feedback about the Rydges Rise breakfast to the Executive Chef who thanks you for your comments. I was also pleased that you enjoyed the hotels location and the pool area. I agree with you, the pool does have a certain charm that is hard to replicate.
You are right in saying that the hotel will be undergoing a full refurbishment, in fact, it has already begun. Mock up rooms are currently underway and after 30 years the hotel will finally be getting a proper make over thanks to the new Rydges Management.
Thank you also for pointing out the Rydges Dream Beds being advertised online, I have updated this now. Every room will have a Rydges Dream Bed once the refurbishments are complete.
Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you had a lovely Easter and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We are a mature retired couple, we apprciate quality at an affordable price. This is exactly what we got ar Rydges (Sails resort) at Port Macquarie. The staff were excellent & I was very warmly greeted by Cheryl on arrival.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and will pass on my personal thanks to Cheryl at Reception.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Regards

Reviewed 22 March 2014

This resort runs events on the weekend where the music and bass continue until 11.3o pm. If you wish to sleep before 11.30 pm, this is not the place for you. Try somewhere else. During an event (eg wedding, party, celebration) restaurant will be closed and noise and loud speaker of MC continuous until 11.30 pm. What more can One say...avoid!! Staff seem powerless to help!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kath r

Thank you for your feedback Kath, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and were inconvenienced by the noise from the wedding in the restaurant. The restaurant does occasionally get booked for functions and we do our best to ensure the music is stopped early and guests not attending the function are allocated away from the noise. It appears we may not have been able to do this on your stay.
Again, I apologise for any inconvenience, I hope we can welcome you back to Sails Resort for a future stay.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed between 28th Feb and 3rd March and stayed in a water view king room and LOVED IT SO MUCH we're planing on going again in either september or october.

The resort has everything, pool, indoor spa and outdoor spa.

Only thing I can say I was bit saddened by was no sink or room to cook our breakfast only a small cube to prep your food maybe an extra bench would be better but thats the only thing.

The bedding was amazing, so Confortable, amazing views, Couldn't ask for anything better.

I think the sauna was out of action or geting re-modeled but would love to see it up and working on our next trip..

The staff was AMAZING the food was AMAZING could not say a bad word about it.. And plus there doing remodels of every room cant wait to see u soon Sails!!!!!

5 stars on service
5 stars on food
5 stars on room

Room Tip: Was in room 220 and loved it!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

It really makes my day reading such positive feedback :). I am so glad that you had such an enjoyable stay and am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. I would recommend booking a Water Deluxe Studio on your next time up, these rooms have the same views as the one you stayed but also have a little kitchenette.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.