“Great location”

Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We came here for an overnight trip to see The Beards at Panthers and it did the trick just nicely. Not overly modern or fancy, but it's pleasant and convenient with beautiful views of the marina.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. And the wifi is free and easy to access.
The only issue was the bed, being a bit soft. I like my beds supportive. Not a disaster though.

Stayed: July 2014
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thanks you for supplying some feedback from your recent stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotels location and the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have stayed at Sails a few times in the past (more years ago now than I like to remember....or even can!) and was aware of the facilities. However I was very disappointed to find that the sauna - one of the main reasons I booked this place, was not only not working, it was non-existent and not going to be reopened. I thought this was a bit poor since it is still on their description through Wotif which is where I booked. I recognize that this may be the fault of Wotif rather than Rydges, but then again it may not and one would think that it constitutes false advertising. The fact that there is still a big sign pointing the way to the ‘Pool, Spa and Sauna’ may indeed say something in itself about who is not actively advertising exactly what is available rather than being offered. Why would a resort take away a feature that people would use as a differentiation point when booking?
Anyway I built a bridge and got over the fact that there was no sauna. I comforted myself with the fact that the spa/hot-tub/Jacuzzi was still there and looked forward with anticipation to sinking into the enveloping warmth of the sudsy, bubbly blissful bath. Sadly, again I was bitterly disappointed when I realized it was stone cold. I thought that it would warm up, however after three cycles of the pump (it turns off after about 8 or so minutes) I realized that it was not going to heat up. Given that the outside temperature was about 15 degrees I didn't want to use it, and 'hot tub' was not really an accurate description of what confronted me.
Anyway I went back to my room disillusioned and despondent. I usually book properties based on what they say they are offering and in this case they were inaccurate on two counts. They were not core promises but if they said to me we no longer have a sauna and the spa will be cold, then I would have booked elsewhere, where those essential features (to me) were offered.
Having said all that, if I had booked elsewhere I would have missed out on a great room overlooking the water, a really, really comfortable king bed and a breakfast that can only be described as wonderful, especially since it was included in the price of the room. The location and staff were both great, but I have to admit I probably won’t be returning because the ‘creature comforts’ that I am after and which they promised were just not there.

Room Tip: Waterfronts are worth the extra $20
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shaby S

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I apologise if you felt the hotel had been untruthful. The hotel sauna had broken down and unfortunately the price to repair it was unreasonable or affordable for the hotel at the time. I have been onto this website and removed any notation of a Sauna to ensure there is no confusion for future guests. I personally update all the websites once the Sauna broke down and it appears I missed this one.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotels location and surroundings near the Port Macquarie Marina. You may be interested to know that the hotel is about to undergo a full renovation with every room and public facilities getting a massive overhaul.
I hope you are able to look past this error and join us at Sails Resort Port Macquarie for a future stay.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just had 2 night stay at Sails, in a water view king room and it was very enjoyable. Sure the hotel is showing its age but I understand it will soon be renovated so that should transform it into a high quality resort. The location and perspective overlooking the river, marina and town is excellent and even though it was a little cold still pleasant. The breakfast is excellent with a wide range of offerings and a wonderful outlook. Staff were all polite, rooms very clean so all in all a very nice stay. Over the road is a very large and diverse shopping centre which includes a large licensed club, Panthers Port Macquarie, so great location.

Room Tip: Water view king rooms are great, Exec suite excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the hotels facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

With no reservation we called in and were warmly welcomed and once checked in luggage was out of the car and to the rooms by the helpful staff.
Nothing was a problem with very clean rooms that were quiet and a restful atmosphere. A perfect stopover for a night or a week.
Walking tracks lead from the resort and lead to many places around Port Macquarie.
Car parking was secure.
Staff advised that there was an event in the complex and made an effort to ensure that guests not associated with it were accommodated away from the noise, a very kind gesture.
Rates were very reasonable, restaurant looked very inviting but we didn't get a chance to sample the produce.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the marina are very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank N1770FAalex

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding you stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I was pleased to see that the hotel staff were extremely inviting and helpful after what sounded like a long day on the road.
I hope you had a safe journey back to Hobart and I hope to welcome you back to Sails Resort Port Macquarie again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed early june 2014 booked online with Priorlty guest rewards and got the room for only $100 a night, which is very good for a 4star property, It is free to join and you get a few benifits like a free drink to be had in the bar/resteraunt plus other discounts.
the room was great with balcony, the pool area was also great with a indoor and outdoor spa.
If you choose to not have your room services every day you get $10 credit to be used in the bar/resteraunt. staff were great.

Room Tip: join the rydges Priority guest rewards club.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and everything the hotel rewards program had to offer. I hope to see you again for a future stay.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed for a few nights during school holidays and it worked out great. Upon check in I did ask to be moved as we were located on the bottom floor in a room right by the pool gate and given it was school holidays i guessed it would be a high traffic area early in the morning. The room also smelled a little damp and musty.

We were moved without much of a problem, and the new room on the floor above was much better. Both rooms had a bathtub which is a bonus when travelling with kids. the pool area is lovely and looks out to the water for spectacular views. If your kids are older you can sit on the balcony and watch them in the pool, a nice break for parents. The spa area seemed closed. I could be wrong on that one but the door seemed locked when we tried it. There is advertised a putt putt course. Don't put too much stock in that advertisement, it was pretty ghetto and we wouldn't touch it. There is also tennis courts (we did not use). Canoe rental is free and it was fun to give it a go as a family.

We had friends in town and they met us at the hotel for dinner and with our 20% Priority Membership it was a great deal and the food was good. We were within walking distance to Quaylime, another great restaurant close by. Mcdonalds is within walking distance (cheap breakfast for the kids!) as is a shopping centre with a grocery store.

All in all we would stay again as a family. I know they are renovating so it will be nice to see how it finishes up. The location really is the highlight of the hotel. A fantastic spot.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to supply some feedback regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I am glad the hotel staff were able to find you a room that was more suited to your needs without the smell. That area of the hotel is lovely with the view over the pool and up the Hastings River.
I was disappointed to see you didn’t try your hand at the Putt Putt Golf. The course is designed to make it nice and easy for children to have some fun. This course, especially over school holidays, is full with kids knocking balls around and climbing over the course. It is great that you were able to dine one night at Spinnakers Restaurant and enjoy your membership discount.
Thank you again for your feedback. The hotel renovations are due to start soon and be completed next year. I hope to welcome you back to Sails Resort for a future stay.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just came back from 2 nights at Sails and it was great! the position across from the club/shopping centre was so convenient and also a nice walk along the waters edge to the main town. The outdoor spa was great and when the pump stops you can just reach out, press the button and start it again! ( some you have to get out of the tub in the freezing cold to turn it on again). The room was clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable for us and the breakfast had everything for all tastes and appetites. The staff were all lovely and yes I would stay again, maybe spend the extra to have water views but then we were very happy with what we had.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I am, in particular, pleased that you enjoyed the Rydges "Rise" breakfast. This breakfast was put in place to change guest’s conception about normal hotel breakfasts. The "Rise" Breakfast is full of fresh fruit, homemade juices, fresh cereals and mueslis, good cuts of bacon, fresh free range eggs and more. It is truly delicious.
Thank you again for your wonderful feedback. I hope to see you again soon for another stay.