“Not too bad all things considered”

Golden Age Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Queanbeyan
Brisbane, Australia
“Not too bad all things considered”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here during the first week of August 2013, in winter, and winter isn't my favourite time of year to be travelling to Canberra.I must admit to not having any input into the choice of accommodation as this was chosen by my company.

The sign out the front indicates that the facilities have a four-star (4 star) rating, which I don't think is 100% accurate for the room that I stayed in, and advertised that they had Foxtel, which I couldn't find either on the television or in the in-room guide.

The bed was soft, but not saggy (there is a difference, and this was the soft-in-a-good-way kind), however for a traveler with a bad back this isn't always ideal. I didn't wake up the next day not being able to walk, so that is positive.

The room I was in (Rm 21) could do with a little updating - but from what I saw, I believe that this may be in the works (there was barricading on the verandah a little further down from my room, and it appeared that there was construction work going on), so this may be null and void very soon.

I was a little surprised to find a doona / duvet / quilt just heaped on the couch when I walked in, but the sheets had definitely been changed so that wasn't the end of the world. The floor was clean, the bed clean, the desk and coffee table clean, in fact the whole place was clean - that's a real must for me, and I was not disappointed. Thank you so much to the staff for that, because my OCD-tendencies won't let me sleep if I'm wondering how clean the room is.

The room was certainly quite large - there was a queen bed AND a couch, along with a desk (free wired internet available - pay a deposit if you need a cable and it is refunded when you return it) AND coffee table, so there is more than enough space for a single business traveler, couple, or even family with a small child or two.

I ordered room service, and this arrived in record time - which is quite impressive. The dinner was acceptable (I wasn't overly hungry), and the portion size was larger than expected.
Breakfast was included in the room rate that was booked, and the lady in the breakfast room (who had cooked and was recording room numbers) was friendly and approachable. A full buffet breakfast at the beginning of a long day is very welcome. The hot dishes were varied and still hot - the only suggestion I would make is perhaps a few more pairs of tongs to handle the bread to make toast. This wasn't an issue for me (I was the only person in the breakfast room on the day I was there), but I had to use the tongs placed for picking up sausages and bacon from the bain marie - if the breakfast room was busy, I could see this resulting in people using their hands (and again, this doesn't work with my OCD-tendencies).

The toiletries supplied were basic - soap, shower cap, shampoo/conditioner in a sachet - but I question the logic in leaving 3 x cotton buds bare (no wrapping, just sitting in with the shampoo sachet) and the 2 x home brand band-aids in among the toiletries - that had me a little confused, as I'm not sure if this was an attempt at providing "a little bit more" that missed the mark, or if these were left by the former occupant.

The place is situated on quite a busy road - there was no road noise in my room, but the walls are a little thin, and I could hear (loud enough to be confusing at first, but still low) the television from the room next door. It confused me at first as I thought a radio may have been on, but I was able to determine that it was the television next door.

The staff that I had dealings with were very happy, courteous and polite, so no trouble whatsoever in recommending this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ecnalubma
GoldenAgeQueanbeyan, Manager at Golden Age Motor Inn, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit at our motel.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the bed & meals at the motel.

Foxel is advertised as we have 10 foxel channels available. If you had any issues finding them, our reception staff are always available to help.

As you mentioned we are in the process of renovation the rooms at the Golden Age so I hope you will find the rooms more updated if staying in the future.

We always take on-board guest suggestions & ideas, and appreciate that you gave us your feedback.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Kind regards, Managment

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
queanbeyan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I am the Manager of QBN RSL Memorial Bowling Club and I would sincerly like to thank Golden Age for their considerate hospitality. Recently one of our young members sadly passed away and Golden Age was THAT wonderful they took in this members family during their greif whilst they had to come here to finalise matters. Golden Age was kind enough to give accomodation and breakfast on their behalf of which all the members and the board of QBN RSL Memorial Bowling Club truly appreciated. The owners are very friendly and passionate for the people. This was a truly thoughtful thing to offer to one of our members during a terrible period and one less cost that they had to worry about during this time.I would like everyone to know what sort of people run this hotel as it truely shows the heart that comes out from Golden Age Motor Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear QBN RSL Memorial Bowling Club.
Thank you for you lovely comment about our motel. We were terribly sorry to here about the family's loss. It was a pleasure to be able to accommodate them during such a tragic time. We wish them all the best and thank you again for you appreciation.
Kind regards, Golden Age Owners & Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We were in Queanbeyan for the birth of our grandchild and wanted a place with a bit more room and comfort than our small caravan in which we had traveled across the country. The Golden Age was a perfect choice for us, close to the new grandchild and the many sights around Canberra and big enough for us to stretch out and relax.
The room, although typical of motel rooms, was comfortable, clean, roomy and well serviced during our stay. We had a King sized bed, two comfortable recliner chairs and a large flat screen TV with Foxtel.
The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, and were quick to replace the kettle which failed during out time there.
The meals in the breakfast room and the restaurant were good value and quality.
Overall our experience was pleasant and we would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms at the eastern end and southern side of the motel are quieter and away from the main roads.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GoldenAgeQueanbeyan, Manager at Golden Age Motor Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Guests,

Thanks you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. We are glad that you had a great stay with us and you found the meals, service and rooms to your liking. We hope to see you again in the future when visiting your grandchild. Kind regards, Madelaine & Daniel
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was working in Canberra and needed somewhere reasonably priced to stay. Parliament was sitting so Canberra hotels were booked out - I turned to Queanbeyan with some trepidation.

What a great find at the Golden Age. Everything was just right. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and warm with all the nice little touches like decent cookies, plenty of tea bags and free internet and foxtel. There was a microwave and plates/cutlery if you wanted to prepare something quick and easy.

The cooked buffet breakfast was served in a very bright and pleasant breakfast room and there was a restaurant on site. Plenty of choice and all served hot which is always something I appreciate and don't always find.

The motor inn is actually on a busy road but I found my ground floor room to be really quiet and with the car parked outside my room it was ideal for loading things up for work.

I would certainly stay at the Golden Age again and would recommend it for people looking for a reasonably priced stay near Canberra.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
GoldenAgeQueanbeyan, Manager at Golden Age Motor Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comment. We are really pleased to hear that our service & facilities made your stay enjoyable. We appreciate that you took the time to comment, and hope to see you again in the near future. Kind regards Madelaine & Daniel
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

On a Saturday evening in the Canberra/Queanbeyan region we found ourselves in need of a room at the Inn quite last minute. After a drive along the main strip in Queanbeyan we found ourselves outside ‘The Golden Age Motor Inn’ and saw a ‘Vancancy’ sign and a ‘Foxtel’ sign underneath. Our salvation was at hand.

We parked outside and in the din of the streetlights we booked a room via ‘Lastminute.com.au’ for a good price.

We then drove in and rang the outside phone as Reception was unattended. The line was engaged. For a terrifying moment …all was lost.
I kept my head and called again and… A voice. Friendly and accommodating.

We were not able to check in right away because we were politely advised that the booking from ‘Lastminute.com.au’ takes a while to come through the Interwebz.
No matter. Across the road we wandered for some local take away.

We were politely checked in by the night manager who’s Saturday night Rugby was possibly being interrupted but.. he was super friendly and directed us to our room.
We were in an upstairs room and parked right below out balcony. The motel was very secure.

The room was more like a suite that a room. It was huge with a lovely little balcony. Very neat and clean and cosy. The bathroom was recently renovated and really nice. I had a bath.

The bed was dreamy and snuggly. Pillows from heaven.

The couch/coffee table was lovely. The desk was serviceable. The TV was great and the air conditioning was nice and warm.

The one downer was the toilet ran a little. It took some fiddling but it was manageable.

I have to mention the little porcelain style dolls that sat around the motel. One on a seat at the end of the hall and then one on a shelf in our room. Ummm A little creepy. But a fun memory.

We were so comfortable and happy with our room. We have such fond memories of that trip and especially our golden night and the Golden Age.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful comment. We are pleased to hear that you found your stay at our hotel to be so memorable. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Madelaine & Daniel
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Cheers to the Golden Age Motor Inn for a wonderful stay. The rooms were clean and roomy. The service was impeccable. Fabulous home made breakfast to finish our lovely stay. We would definitely recommend this motel and plan to stay here next time we visit.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for the great review on our Motel. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, rooms & our service, and are glad to hear that you plan on retuning to us next time you are in Queanbeyan. See you on your future stay.

Kind regards, Madelaine & Daniel
Worldwide
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Clean rooms, very comfortable beds, great location and great food. What more could you ask from a budget hotel?

Ambience....the place had a very homly feel to it that will remind you of the Golden ages

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased to hear that you loved our meals and that you had a great sleep in our new beds! Hope to see you again in the future. Kind regards, Madelaine & Daniel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queanbeyan
Comfort Inn Airport International
Mid City Motor Inn
Mid City Motor Inn
#4 of 13 in Queanbeyan
Quality Inn Country Plaza Queanbeyan

Been to Golden Age Motor Inn? Share your experiences!