“WIsh I lived here permanently”

Wollongong Keiraleagh Backpackers
Rockhampton, Australia
“WIsh I lived here permanently”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I spent an excellent 10 days here with a friend from school. I really loved the friendly laid back atmosphere. The back yard was beautiful. We had a huge communal BBQ feast together, which was amazing, The tables outside where a wonderful place to meet many interesting, friendly people.
Andrew G. was an inspirational entertainer who taught us how to twist balloons into dogs and taught us how to spin fire sticks which was an amazing experience. He also performed some awesome magic tricks for us.
Loved the party times we shared together on Friday and Saturday night. We could come and go at any time as there is no curfew time. Bathrooms and toilets where thoroughly cleaned daily. Bed was clean and comfortable in our 6 bed room near the common area outside. One thoughtless guest woke us several mornings with his wake-up alarm. Ear plugs may be useful in shared rooms. Some quests didn't know how to clean up after themselves in the kitchen but it only took a few seconds to clean up after them. The internet wi-fi wasn't very reliable or accessible from the back yard. I could only access it inside near the front door.
The owners where very friendly and helpful in repairing various broken items during my stay.
I loved my time spent here and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Golden, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here for about a week in one of the 6-bed dorms. Being winter it was cold at night, but they provided comforters. The room was clean and the beds comfy. The outside, common area was wonderful, fun place to hang, same goes for the tv room inside. The kitchen, while I was there, was cleaned everyday, and residents were good about doing and putting away the dishes. The outdoor shower/bathroom was a little sketchy, but there were three more perfectly good showers inside available for use. Overall I enjoyed my stay, only about 5 minutes from the beach and the shopping mall, great location! And the owners were great, very nice, friendly, and helpful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I so wish I had read Trip advisor before I booked, it was cheap, but the place was unkempt. The kitchen was piled full of dirty dishes,. Only slept there, and didn't want to risk taking a shower as bathrooms were so bad.
Also seemed to be full of semi permanent residents , so very of putting.

Don't risk it,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Wollongong hotels

Ferns, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

This hostel is one of the friendliest hostels I've ever stayed in run by a lovely family. I initially stayed in Keiraleagh for 2 weeks but it ended up being on and off stays for nearly 4 months. I met some fantastic people there including my current girlfriend :) The communal area is great rain or shine and excellent for a few drinks / occasional party.It is clean and well maintained. Comfortable beds and secure lockers for your belongings. Any time Im in Australia Keiraleagh will be on my list of places to visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank JMythen
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Was here for a few months. A great place to meet other travelers and much more welcoming than the large hostels (YHA and such) that exists. As a previous commenter had said, this is in a great location - near the beach, mall, and Woolie's. There is also a free bus route nearby; about one street away. In reference to the previous comments, when I was there a young lady doing maintenance worked hard at cleaning the place every day but with the amount of people that go through there it would not be possible for it to be spotless at every moment.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank C H
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed here while I was an exchange student in Wollongong and I couldn't have been happier! Extremely comfortable, welcoming and laid back. Large beer garden out back (BYO) is a breezy, beautiful common area. Other tenants were friendly & fun, and the family that runs the place is helpful and accommodating. The house is right downtown - beach, clubs/bars, rugby stadium, shopping, and a good local brewery are all within a few blocks. Scenic, 20 minute bus commute to the university & Mt Keira.

Room Tip: Front side/upstairs of the house is quieter, downstairs/back rooms closer to the party