“Had to stay elsewhere”

Wollongong Keiraleagh Backpackers
Lismore, Australia
“Had to stay elsewhere”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I highly recommend anyone who expects a hostel to be of living standard to reconsider booking here. I stayed here (or was to stay here) in January '14.
Here are the reasons I STRONGLY advise you to reconsider:

-The backyard area is where everyone drinks and plays music at night time, the problem is, the rooms are closely SURROUNDING this area, making sleep impossible.

-The kitchen had cockroaches crawling all through it

-The place is incredibly run down. There are holes in the roof; the shower lights don't work at all (so enjoy having a shower in the dark); the showers leak, making a safety hazard as the water puddles on to tiles that are not slip proof; there is no ventilation in the showers and the toilets, leaving mould and germs to prosper.

-The bunk beds are very unstable. They are so close to being on the verge to collapsing.

-The rooms smell like rotten B.O, the kind that has been there for months.

I was honestly so desperate to get out of this place that I had contacted all 24-hour reception hotels in the Wollongong area to take me out.

Please, if you have decent living standards then please reconsider booking this hostel as you will regret it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My friend and I, we booked 3 nights but extended our stay up to one week. We loved the relaxing atmosphere and the people at the hostel became a family to us.
The outside area was our favorite place to hang out. We used to have a great dinner together with the other guest which was always a lot of fun. All in all, the hostel became one of our favorites because of the relaxing family atmosphere! Book now!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I spent an excellent 10 days here with a friend from school. I really loved the friendly laid back atmosphere. The back yard was beautiful. We had a huge communal BBQ feast together, which was amazing, The tables outside where a wonderful place to meet many interesting, friendly people.
Andrew G. was an inspirational entertainer who taught us how to twist balloons into dogs and taught us how to spin fire sticks which was an amazing experience. He also performed some awesome magic tricks for us.
Loved the party times we shared together on Friday and Saturday night. We could come and go at any time as there is no curfew time. Bathrooms and toilets where thoroughly cleaned daily. Bed was clean and comfortable in our 6 bed room near the common area outside. One thoughtless guest woke us several mornings with his wake-up alarm. Ear plugs may be useful in shared rooms. Some quests didn't know how to clean up after themselves in the kitchen but it only took a few seconds to clean up after them. The internet wi-fi wasn't very reliable or accessible from the back yard. I could only access it inside near the front door.
The owners where very friendly and helpful in repairing various broken items during my stay.
I loved my time spent here and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Golden, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here for about a week in one of the 6-bed dorms. Being winter it was cold at night, but they provided comforters. The room was clean and the beds comfy. The outside, common area was wonderful, fun place to hang, same goes for the tv room inside. The kitchen, while I was there, was cleaned everyday, and residents were good about doing and putting away the dishes. The outdoor shower/bathroom was a little sketchy, but there were three more perfectly good showers inside available for use. Overall I enjoyed my stay, only about 5 minutes from the beach and the shopping mall, great location! And the owners were great, very nice, friendly, and helpful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I so wish I had read Trip advisor before I booked, it was cheap, but the place was unkempt. The kitchen was piled full of dirty dishes,. Only slept there, and didn't want to risk taking a shower as bathrooms were so bad.
Also seemed to be full of semi permanent residents , so very of putting.

Don't risk it,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Wollongong hotels

Ferns, Ireland
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This hostel is one of the friendliest hostels I've ever stayed in run by a lovely family. I initially stayed in Keiraleagh for 2 weeks but it ended up being on and off stays for nearly 4 months. I met some fantastic people there including my current girlfriend :) The communal area is great rain or shine and excellent for a few drinks / occasional party.It is clean and well maintained. Comfortable beds and secure lockers for your belongings. Any time Im in Australia Keiraleagh will be on my list of places to visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank JMythen
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Was here for a few months. A great place to meet other travelers and much more welcoming than the large hostels (YHA and such) that exists. As a previous commenter had said, this is in a great location - near the beach, mall, and Woolie's. There is also a free bus route nearby; about one street away. In reference to the previous comments, when I was there a young lady doing maintenance worked hard at cleaning the place every day but with the amount of people that go through there it would not be possible for it to be spotless at every moment.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank C H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wollongong
Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong
Sovereign Inn Wollongong
Best Western City Sands
Best Western City Sands
#5 of 15 in Wollongong

Been to Wollongong Keiraleagh Backpackers? Share your experiences!