“Excellent place to take the kids”

Science Centre and Planetarium
Ranked #9 of 60 things to do in Wollongong
Wollongong, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent place to take the kids”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I love taking my young ones to the Science Centre, we have a membership and every time we go the staff are always so friendly and courteous and my children have so much fun with the hands on exhibits. The Science Shop also has such a great range of items and I always find something to take home after each visit.
The free parking is great also!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ally S

• Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I took a group of TAFE students learning English and we particularly enjoyed the Dry Ice show. I know that we can heat objects to thousands of degrees but apparently the earth has a lower limit of absolute zero which is around -180 degrees. Even in a laboratory scientists can't even get to absolute zero ( so I'm told)..
We enjoyed seeing things reacting to the dry ice.
The planetarium is good if you have never been to one before.
The shop has a large range of , educational scientific items as well as some unusual items for sale. The prices seem reasonable for most items.
You could spend 2 hours here easily.
Also the Wollongong free bus stops across the road.

Visited May 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent family fun”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent over three hours here with our four year old and had an absolutely fantastic time. Lots and lots of fun interactive science experiments to try (without fear of breaking anything!). Great coal mining play area upstairs as well. My only advice would be eat first as the canteen has some random opening times that mainly coincide with school visits by the look of it. Otherwise BRILLIANT!!

Visited May 2014
East Coast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Unexpectedly wonderful--worth the trip!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Took my 4-year-old son for the day--I figured we'd spend an hour here, then have some lunch and a walk in the Royal National Park before heading home. Instead, we spent 3 and a half fantastic hours exploring the densely-packed two floors of this great discovery centre! The exhibits are all hands-on, with terrific (and accurate) scientific explanations that can appeal to youngsters as well as those young at heart. Plus, after the one school group left around 1 p.m., we had the entire place to ourselves! So much to explore. Don't miss the 'bubbles and balloons' show--a big 'thank you!' to Polly, who kept the kids fascinated with all sorts of 'try this again at home' experiments. For those of you familiar with Questacon in Canberra, don't miss the Wollongong Science Centre. My son and I can't wait to go back!

Visited March 2014
Glen M, General Manager at Science Centre and Planetarium, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. We try very hard to ensure that the Centre works for all ages and it is great to hear that it worked so well for your 4yo as well as you. We look forward to your return visit.
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Kids Loved this place :)”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Interactive and lots of fun for the kids.
There are shows but in all honesty, it was just average.
Simple cafe for snacks.