“Weekend away”

Sage Hotel Wollongong
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
“Weekend away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in an executive suite with balcony for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights in Wollongong. Room and bathroom good size and staff were friendly. Food was ok but starting to go cold when it was delivered to our room. The Only disappointment is the King Bed that is 2 beds pushed together, hate that! nevertheless hotel is walking distance to shops and beaches and looks towards WIN stadium.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Nari_Makena,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

It was pleasure to welcome you to the Chifley Wollongong and great to read that you had an enjoyable stay. I was particularly delighted to hear that our team were helpful and friendly as we strive to provide all our guest with great service.

Should you travels bring you back to Wollongong, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and have you stay with us again.

Chifley Wollongong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Korean first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Slow lifts (only 2) , slow check in . Also not impressed by $15.00 parking charge. But on the positive side, good size room and bathroom, nice big balcony. The location is good, and if you come here for the football, it"s right next door. Nice area with golf course and walk ways all very close as well as club and restuarants. Overall ok.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MrDigby100,

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here over a weekend. This hotel is in a great location, right on the beach and across the road from WIN Stadium and entertainment centre. Rooms are modern and staff are friendly and helpful. Highly recommended and will look forward to returning. Thanks Chifley.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Chad S,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a nice stay with us.

Please do let me know when you plan on returning to Wollongong and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had stayed here previously on three occassions and had joined their rewards club scheme.
This time the room was not the same as before and the balcony was filthy. They moved us to another suitable room but the balcony was also filthy with an empty beer bottle there and what looked like vomit on the screen, right at eye view when seated. The staff said they would get someone to clean up. We then discovered the pillows were dirty and there were stains on the carpet. Staff did replace the pillows but after many complaints and two days later nothing was done until my wife demanded someone fix it. All staff said that had reported the problem but none followed through to ensure it was done. They gave us a later check out but still cancelled our keys at the earlier time, no-one had advised that we needed another key. Filled out a survey form and handed it in but have heard nothing back, assume staff binned it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis B
Dear Dennis B,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

My sincere apologies for not providing you with an enjoyable stay. Rest assured our housekeeping services are consistently maintained and monitored to offer our guest with an outstanding experience. I am confident that this was an isolated incident nevertheless, I have communicated your feedback with our heads of department.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Mollymook, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We bought a voucher for 3 nights at the Chifley at a discounted price. When making the booking, I called the hotel and quoted the voucher number and was sent an invoice with the balance owing after paying our deposit. When we arrived at the hotel, the girl at reception insisted that she sight the original voucher. I had unfortunately forgotten to bring it, but she had the voucher number there on the screen in front of her with all our details of the sale and the balance owing, etc. Despite these facts she wouldn't budge.

She suggested that we call someone from home and get them to find the voucher and fax it to her. Well no, we weren't going to ring someone and ask them to enter our home and rummage through our possessions to find the elusive piece of paper so that wasn't going to happen. She was adamant that the only way we were going to stay at the Chifley was if we paid the full charges every day. There was no way we would have been able to stay if we didn't have a discount, so we were at an impasse.

We thought maybe we could find the website online of the company we bought the voucher from and get a phone number to ask for a copy so my husband inquired about their internet access. She told him it was for guests only and informed him of the high charges.

I have a disability and was exhausted and in a great deal of pain at this point from the hours of travelling. I had a number of medical appointments the next day, which was the reason for our trip to the area. I desperately needed to lie down and get as much rest as possible but instead we had to drive down the road to McDonald's and attempt to use their very slow but free wi-fi. The website search was fruitless as the site seemed to have changed it's name, so back we went to the Chifley with my husband intending to go over her head this time and ask to speak to someone else.

Thank goodness another woman was at reception when he went back. She was a reasonable person and said that of course they would honour the voucher, as long as we faxed a copy of the original as soon as we got home. It was an enormous relief to us to finally be allowed to enter the room we had booked, but our treatment by the first reception staff caused me far more stress and physical pain than I would have had otherwise.

It was such a shame because apart from that, I couldn't fault our visit. The room was lovely and very clean, and every other interaction we had with staff members was very pleasant.

Thinking back to our last visit to the Chifley, I remember that we had bought a discounted deal that included a buffet breakfast in the dining room. I called reception and asked the young man who answered whether it would be possible for my husband to bring a tray up to our room as I was physically unable to sit up in the dining room every morning. He said no, that the deal was for breakfast in the dining room only and that he couldn't help me. I then called the restaurant directly and the manager couldn't have been more helpful and said that there would be no problems with me having breakfast in the room.

I mention that experience last time because it seems to be a pattern that the younger staff at the reception desk lack empathy and have a ''rules are rules'' mentality.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear newautumn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on Trip Advisor.

Naturally I was extremely disappointed to learn about your unsatisfactory experience upon check in at the hotel and I do empathise with you and your husband. We do value constructive feedback from all avenues and I have personally addressed your comments with the front desk team and re-enforced our Hotel’s culture and training principles. I am thankful you were able to experience the Chifley service again on your return.

I do hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 4201 2111 if I can be of any assistance prior to your arrival.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We checked in late in the evening and were running late for dinner. The lady that checked us in was utterly incompetent and lacked a basic personality. She shouldn't be working in hospitality. She asked me to fill out a form with all my personal details and I said I've already provided all if them when making the booking she starts arguing with me that I had not, she was quickly proved wrong when I asked how they emailed me then if they didn't take my details. She also refused to lust look up my escape club membership account. She was completely unaware of the benefits of the program and refused to give us the free drinks we were entitled to. She didn't bother to point us to the lifts or explain what time breakfast was or remind us that it was included in our package or explain how the internet worked. The hotel and rooms were modern and nice and to be fair other that the lady who checked us in the staff were absolutely lovely. One of the girls even helped us figure out where our dinner function was when we forgot the name of the restaurant by calling restaurants in the area. Rooms lacked slippers, robes and the shampoo etc was a bit basic, was expecting a bit more after what we paid for the room.

Overall nice place and convenient underground parking. Just need to sort out some of their staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear sydjetsetter86,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on Trip Advisor.

I do sincerely apologise for not delivering the level of service Chifley Hotels are renowned for, to you on your recent check in at the Hotel.

We do value your constructive feedback as it allows us to improve the service which we deliver to our most discerning guests like yourselves, and I have personally spoke to the front desk team regarding your comments.

Should your travels bring you back to Wollongong, it would be a pleasure to welcome you and have you stay with us again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 4201 2111 if I can be of any assistance.

Warm regards