“A nice Hotel with a very comfy bed”

Sage Hotel Wollongong
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Sydney, Australia
“A nice Hotel with a very comfy bed”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We spent our Friday night at a pleasant hotel in Wollongong called the Chifley on a winter weekend package. The $199 deal was attractive which included free parking, buffet breakfast & late checkout. Upon checking in we were told we had been upgraded to the 10th floor The room was rather large, pleasant and a nice view of the golf club and water. Oh I forgot we also received a cheese platter with a bottle of red This was a really good deal. I was so impressed with the bed extremely comfortable. Definitely give the Chifley the thumbs up, my only disappointment was the buffet breakfast all very dry, but that maybe that was because the hotel was not very busy. Worth a visit if staying in Wollongong

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Diane

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Chifley Wollongong. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us and we were close to meeting your expectations. I have passed onto your feedback about the breakfast buffet to our Food and Beverage team.

Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
Parramatta
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Great rooms with balconies , my daughters loved waking up with a view ! Clean , modern room , will definitely visit again , highly recommend to anyone that is staying in the area . Great price and location , value for money .

• Stayed December 2013
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Scox1980

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with at the Chifley Wollongong. I was delighted to see that your stay was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Changed booking upon arrival and got a lovely balcony room, my friend who traveled with me also got a single instead of the junior suite that I had booked. The staff were friendly and helpful about this change and it was no trouble to them. This at 19:00 hours. The room was comfortable with a nice firm bed. In the restaurant the staff were fantastic. Both of us are gluten intolerant and I have other intolerances as well. They prepared me a delicious meal and were very helpful about this. Yes the bathroom was basic but, the water was hot, the water pressure was good and the room was clean. Happy trip will go again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dianne P
Dear Diane

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Chifley Wollongong. it appears we are close to meeting your expectations, and your stay was a delightful experience.

Bulli, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Great company. Great variety of sweets, however a few more sandwich and maybe a few more savouries less sweeties. A little request that maybe the tea service should follow where the staff serve the tables first as we were not served tea until our beautiful fare was nearly complete.
A definite all round fantastic experience though. We will be back, and will bring more guests with us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Bek R
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at our High Tea event late last month. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the event, and have passed on your comments to the F&B team for review.

Warm Regards
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Down side: Bed was uncomfortable, even allowing for the fact that all kings sized beds are two single kings pushed together. Additionally, shower is very average. Pressure was good, but shower head poor and adjust-ability limited.....in addition, copious water on floor. And finally, restaurant not open for lunch (a little fussy, I know, but you arrive around 2pm...a little late lunch is good to have. Beds and showers are bread and butter materials for motels/hotels...basics.....

Up-side: Service was good. Room service quick (although coffee was terrible and food was only okay)....staff are the reason this hotel isn't a total thumbs down.

Overall? Hard to see value considering basics on two of three fronts are poorly managed. However, a quick thank you to staff, who, considering what they're working with, do a good job.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Jacqui W.

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Wollongong
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Good hotel, we got a deal $199.00 for one night in a deluxe room ( had a side ocean view, no balcony) that included wine and cheese platter, parking, buffet breakfast and late checkout of 12. Only problem was buffet breakfast closed at 10am. If they give you a late checkout breakfast needs to be open till at least 11 and the lady seemed like she couldn't wait for us to leave. (Was 10.05 I think). We live locally and just stayed as we had a function and wanted to drink. Was a good deal I thought, cheaper than Novotel.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank travelgirl161921
Dear travelgirl161921,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall experience of the hotel.
We always strive to ensure every guests experience is positive and enjoyable as your recent trip was.

I will pass onto our team your comments who will appreciate this wonderful recommendation of our facilities, food and renowned service.

Should your travels bring you back to Wollongong, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and have you stay with us again. If I can be of any assistance please contact me directly on 4201 2111.

Sydney
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is well located and the rooms are adequate. Its typical of the somewhat Spartan 4 star genre but, although the building appears new, some things like the carpet and bathroom grout are already starting to look tatty. The bathroom needs a bottle of strong bleach.
The true difference between a good hotel and an ordinary one is the way the management treat their guests and it was here that I was disappointed. We had booked in for three nights but a family emergency arose so we explained the situation and asked if we could be let off the extra night and check out early. The answer was a rather long-winded 'no'.
This insistence on sticking to the rules when folks have genuine emergencies needs to be stamped out of the travel industry and for this reason I recommend boycotting the Chifley.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear qzqi7zSydney.

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

My sincere apologies for not providing you with an enjoyable experience. I have taken note of your comments in relation to the room and trust I will personally address this with our teams. On the note about having to leave early due to an emergency, I would like to opportunity to discuss this with you further. May I encourage you to make contact with me on 4201 2111.