“Great location and good value.”
Review of Wollongong YHA

Wollongong YHA
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wollongong
Wollongong YHA
Darwin, Australia
“Great location and good value.”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I was in Wollongong for a sports tournament with our club.It was a short 10-15 walk at most to the Stadium which was a good warm up. All I needed was a room with a comfy bed, a kitchenette and a functional shower. Fitted all of our needs and there were a number of inexpensive cafes nearby. There was a gym two doors down which was perfect for our purposes.
Worked out really well and we will be returning there this year.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Location: I would've preferred closer to the Mall and the railway station
Hotel: Open/spacious, common TV room near entrance, several kitchens - never crowded
Room: The rooms on ground floor have french doors, so ventilation is a problem
Positives: Kitchens, airy hotel
Negatives: Doors were noisy, 2 bathrooms amongst 16 people

I would've preferred that the hostel were a bit closer to the Mall and railway station. But I believe that its catering more to students and one of the campus of Uni of Wollongong is not too far for them. The hostel has very limited public bus access.

My room had 2 bunk beds (4 of us) and 1 small fan in the corner which only blew onto one of the beds. Would've preferred some bedside reading lights rather than have only common ones. Also the ventilation was very limited as our room had a french door which was closed through the night.

The surprising thing is that somebody did my bed in the morning, wasn't quite expecting that.

I wasn't aware that this hostel had several 1 bunk bed rooms with en suite bathrooms, by the time I learned, it was too late to upgrade. I would strongly recommend short term visitors to opt for those rooms as the cost differential is minimal and you won't have to queue to use the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Check the price difference between 1 bunk en suite and the others, I would go for 1 bunk en suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Muswellbrook, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2013

While this a good value place to stay at, I just have to say that those heavy fire doors kind of spoil it for us. We stayed for 2 nights and while we hoped that first night was just exceptional we were proven wrong. I have no idea why the students staying here can't at least decently close the door behind them or why there are no signages to please do so for the love of God. I am not sure either why they are going in and out of their rooms and to the kitchen every so often. But that's their business but why oh why do they have no concern for other people is a matter that needs to be addressed by the management. Other than that, the room was OK. Location's good. There's no double bed (the girl at the reception said all YHA don't have double beds) so we just pushed the single beds next to each other and problem solved. The WIFI isn't free so it's better to go the shopping centre about 5 minutes walk away where you can have an hour free.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This YHA is located in the city centre, although if it is the beach you are after it is a good 10-15min walk away.

The room was tiny with bunk beds for a twin bedroom, the en-suite was the smallest I have ever seen. It was very hot when we got there and unfortunately we were unable to bring the temperature down due to no air con and a fan that did very little.

We did have a nice little patio area with a table and two chairs.

Secure underground parking was included in the price which was good.

The girl at reception was very abrupt and did not make us feel particularly welcome, lukily her colleague was very friendly and helpful.

The biggest disappointment with the room was that the walls were paper thin and you could clearly hear next door conversations, snoring, bathroom activity, people knocking on doors and doors slamming which meant we got very little sleep until I opted for ear plugs which improved things a bit.

Personally I would not go there again but I guess for people who are not affected by noise it may be a decent place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Wollongong hotels

Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed here for a week. This backpackers is located 2 minutes from Wollongong CBD. It's part of a students accommodation building. The rooms are nice and the bathrooms are spacious and clean. The kitchen is decent and there's also a common area with a TV. WiFi is available for an extra surcharge. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I would totally stay here again. Pro Tip: There's a free city bus that stops just outside.

Room Tip: The largest and most expensive double room have really bad WiFi reception.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spinloop
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights, the hostel is clean and we stayed in a twin room with alot of space and proper mattresses. A free bus that goes round the city but beach and shops are walking distance. Reception is helpful. Right next to the coach terminal.
It is a Uni campus aswell i think so not so many travellers. Common room was good and internet was reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple