“PEACEFUL AND RELAXING...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wollongong
Nan Tien Temple Pilgrim Lodge
Gosford, Australia
“PEACEFUL AND RELAXING...”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We've stayed at the Pilgrim Lodge numerous times in our travels to and through Wollongong. We have always found the welcome by staff to be warm and friendly and the rooms clean and tidy. They offer breakfast (vegetarian as is the Buddhist tradition) at the Temple for a reasonable extra cost plus lunch & dinner is also available I think.... Of course, there is access to basic kitchen facilities (not in the rooms-no alcohol or meat products are to be taken into the premises for obvious reasons), but microwaves are available on the 1st and second floors. We have spent weekends there and even spent 2 Christmas get-aways there and had a lovely time. Last Christmas we went for 4 days with another couple who also said they really liked the lodge. The only tiny issue is that parking can get a bit tricky when they are full. For the price we have certainly found the experience at the Pilgrim Lodge to be excellent value for money. I find it odd that KamSyd17 makes it seem like there was a plethora of bugs and cockroaches to be found over a 1 night stay when we have never found ANY during our numerous stays. Anyway we can highly recommend a visit to the Pilgrim Lodge and the Nan Tien Temple. :-)

Room Tip: Some rooms are air conditioned and some aren't - worth it to get air conditioned rooms. Some roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Juju12jjj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Liverpool, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I visited Wollongong for work, but didn't want to miss out seeing the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere, so I stayed 1 night in the Pilgrim Lodge. The accommodation is clean and comparable to a 3-4 star motel. (except with no air conditioning). You have your own ensuite in your own room. It gave me the opportunity to look around the grounds and gardens of the temple after hours, without crowds. The price for the accommodation was great value for money, cheaper than most motels in the local area. Dinner and Breakfast is OK, both all you can eat vegetarian food. I'm pleased I chose to stay here instead of a Wollongong motel, and enjoyed the peacefulness and serenity of this place. This accommodation however would not suit everyone. There are no beach views, and it may be difficult to leave the temple late at night as the grounds are locked up for security reasons. If you want to check out the Wollongong nightlife, this accommodation would not suit. I was very happy with the place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank DubboViews
Sydney
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My wife and I had a lovely time at the Temple and Lodge, very peaceful experience. The Lodge is basically a four star hotel/motel, we stayed in a double bed air-cond room for $103 per night, same facilities as most modern hotels.

Room Tip: Head here for some peace and quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AussieTravelCouple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stayed here on my own, just for a night. While the temple itself is beautiful, the same couldn't be said for the Pilgrim Lodge. The room had a dingy feel and there were bugs and cockroaches, both alive and dead in various places. Given that this is a spiritual place, I expected it to be cleaner and to meet a minimum standard.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank KamSyd17
Port Macquarie
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Lovely, clean and welcoming. We travelled to Wollongong for a funeral and all accommodating was booked out. I came a cross the lodge while trolling for motels and was pleasantly surprised.
We booked. Family room, it was clean, spacious and welcoming. Staff were friendly and everyone seemed to be enjoying their stay. No alcohol or meat wasn't a problem and tea, coffee etc were readily available. The grounds were beautiful, I wish our stay was longer. Vegetarian dinner is $10 and I think breakfast was $8 good value. Make time to see the temple and the grounds, they are beautiful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally-1309
Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

The pilgrim lodge was a very clean, comfortable and friendly place to stay. The temple and grounds are beautiful with lots of interesting things to see - unfortunately we were not there in time for the tour. Still really pretty and interesting to walk around. Also the whole complex was much larger than I expected. Pilgrim lodge staff were fantastic. Staff in some other areas of the temple looked at us a little suspiciously (we had our 5 children with us) but were generally friendly.

I was not impressed with the food offered. I am a vegetarian but did not like the food offered at dinner and the dining atmosphere was slightly stressful. We felt pressure to finish everything on our plates - including the extra food which was brought to us and put on our plates even when we said we had had enough. Breakfast was better than dinner.

There were a few (lady) monks wandering around who were very pleasant to talk to and very welcoming to
us and the children.

I would highly recommend a visit here, I would like to go back and do the tour someday.

• Stayed August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Clean comfortable rooms, with relaxing location in grounds of Nan Tien Temple.
Book for a great vegetarian meal or have some tea and snacks at the tea house.

• Stayed September 2011