“Sleepless in Wollongong!”
Review of Quest Wollongong

Quest Wollongong
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at the Quest Wollongong on Saturday night (9 March) as I was completing in the Wollongong Triathlon on Sunday 10 March, which is a qualifier for the World Triathlon Championships in London in September. Prior to my arrival I telephoned to ask for a later checkout and was informed that this would cost an extra $25 and that noon was the cut-off time! I have competed all around Australia and around the World and have never been charged this before. Most hotels/apartment complexes would realise the business opportunities that having a large triathlon in their area can bring and do not charge athletes extra. We are a large network and spend thousands of dollars in the course of a year on accommodation. In addition, I was charged $8 to park the car. It is evident that there is not much parking in Wollongong and that cars can be subject to criminals if parked on the street, but this charge was not mentioned on the Lastminute website. In addition, it is so noisy that I ended up not sleeping at all. There are a lot of car hoons and people on the streets until the very early hours and into the next morning. Other than that, the accommodation was clean and comfortable and the reception staff are very efficient, but I will not stay there next time I race in Wollongong. In addition, I have just checked my credit card statement and when the card was swiped on arrival, a $1 charge has been applied to my account! I will be ringing to have this refunded!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the main street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
QGong, General Manager at Quest Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Maureen,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I would firstly like to congratulate you on finishing the 55-59y Olympic distance triathlon, as a non-sports type I admire the time in which you dedicate to your training and competing in such a demanding sport. Our nominated checkout time is 10am however on most Sundays we are very lenient on our checkout time and even allow checkout up to 5pm, on the day of your departure we had a large group checking into the Apartments which caused your 12pm checkout.
As you did mention the parking situation in Wollongong, we are the lowest priced car park in the CBD with our nearest competitor charging $15; alternative parking on the street is $1.50 per hour. However $8 is a small charge for the peace of mind that your car is in a secure parking station.

You also mentioned a $1.00 charge on your credit card; it is hotel custom to do a Pre auth or security deposit on guest’s card upon arrival. With a pre auth, it puts a freeze on your card for $1.00 and is held for 3-5 business days, and then it is refunded. Many larger hotels pre auth for hundreds even thousands of dollars, as you would understand the surprise on ones face when you realise you have no money on your card. By doing a pre auth, it allows us to make sure you have funds on your account, the card is not stolen and the card matches the person using the card, so it's just important for us as it is to the credit card owner.

I hope you make it to London in September and have the opportunity to represent Australia in your chosen sport.

Regards

There are newer reviews for Quest Wollongong

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Clean quiet hotel for business travel. One of the few quality places to stay in the Gong. I would happily recommend hotel to other business travellers. The hotel is within walking distance to the CBD - probably about a 10-15min walk.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Hi There,

Very really appreciate your feedback and its great you enjoyed your time here at Quest Wollongong.
We look forward to having you stay with us again when your next in town on business.

Regards

Reviewed 14 February 2013

found lot of cockroach and complain nothing was done not happy with 4.5 can do better.housekeeping staff this morning ask me if they could clean our room i said yes but not at the moment as we were trying to get ready...got back found nothing was done

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin_Peters
QGong, General Manager at Quest Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback.
The apartment you stayed in was situated on the only level that has an outdoor courtyard, this of course does lead to the occasional cockroach making its way into the apartment. I can assure you however, that our rooms undergo monthly pest control treatments. Our housekeeping team attend to any isolated incidents immediately which they did the day you reported it to reception.
In regards to your room not being serviced, housekeeping have reported that you did not require a service that morning.
We encourage our guests to report any issues to reception during your stay, so we can rectify this before you leave.
We would like to welcome you back to Quest Wollongong during your next stay in The Gong.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We have stayed at a number of accommodations in Wollongong. There are only a few that offer real quality and we have now added Quest to that list. Firstly, the price: we would not stay at the usual advertised tariff: we selected Quest from Wotif as the "Mystery Hotel". The cost was $50 cheaper ($129 night). I actually thought the Mystery was another place that we know so got a surprise when we found out it was Quest. Not disappointed though in the end!

Parking is $8 extra at the rear under cover. There is no restaurant but as it is located right next to Wollongong Mall and heaps of other eateries. We highly recommend The Illawara Brewery behind WIN Statdium (formerly called Five islands Brewery). See our separate review.

So location is great: right next to shopping and the beach a short stroll. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment: full kitchen, separate bedroom with queen bed, dining table, small lounge, flat screen TV etc. Huge bathroom with bath and full laundry facilities. Well decorated and cleanly presented. Quiet air conditioning very effective. They have a no entertainment policy in rooms which doesn't worry us!!!!!

Reception was very friendly: we had a few requests (like arrangements for a early departure, bottle of wine etc), and all met without a problem. No problem with noise but we stayed on a Sunday night. Lift was always available.

Our 4th floor room faced the street with rather bright lights that another reviewer mentioned but really not a bother. I believe other apartments have a water view but cannot confirm.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. :)

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed two nights the Saturday night was noisy with people leaving pubs and clubs situated around the property. The noise continued into the early hours of the morning. We did not get much sleep at all.

The apartment was very clean and the reception staff where very helpful

The bedroom we had was very light even though we had block out blinds. the light was coming from a building across which had a big neon sign that lite up the whole area.

I think an extra $8.00 per day for parking in the basement is a bit over the top. You can park on the street for free if you can find a parking bay. They seem to be always full.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
QGong, General Manager at Quest Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback.

A big thank you for staying with Quest Wollongong, and we take all feedback serious and im happy to be able to provide you with a response and to apoligise for your stay.
The noise as you mentioned can at times be quiet loud, depending on events that Wollongong are hosting at that time it can get noisy.
We are working with other business owners and local authority to have the noise level reduced to a sustainable level for all to enjoy and something that we look to have under control very soon.

The carparking is actually the most affordable within the CBD properties and are the only accommodation provider that guarantees a car space. You can get free of parking on the street however you do run the chance of a break and enter, which is something that would defiantly tarnish your stay.

We do hope you choose to stay with us again and i would personally like to discuss your tariff on your next visit to Wollongong.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

Very friendly ,helpful staff,off street parking available, close to all amenities, fantastic spacious units,all combined to make a visit to Wollongong very memorable. Will remember this place for future stays.

Room Tip: Level 7 has excellent views to the east.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Roy B,

We are so greatful for the kind feedback and are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Quest Wollongong, we look forward to your next stay and we will make sure you get the 7Th Floor.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I stayed here for 5 nts while attending W'gong
Uni. The room was spacious & comfortable.
Staff were helpful. Handy location - close to the supermarket & shopping mall.
The best feature for me was having kitchen & laundry
facilities. The price was also great. The downside of my stay was that I had a room
overlooking the street and the noise through the night (hoons in cars & on foot, delivery trucks, street sweepers) meant I got little sleep. Not very helpful when having to
sit through 8hrs of intense lectures each day! I have 3 x 5 day stays in W'gong each
year but the noise factor will only see me stay at Quest again as a last resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Dear Jeglagciti,

Thank you very much for your feedback, im glad tht we were able to have a fewfacilities that come in handy over your stay. I understand how important sleep is when studying and just with your day to day life.
We have two bedroom apartments away from the street that I would be deligthed in ugrading you to on your next stay. If you would like to take this option. Pleas just let me know.
We always strive to make sure you enjoy your stay and I hope we get the opportunity to get it right.