“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Glenmore Park, New South Wales, Australia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I took my partner here to stay for his birthday weekend. Very close to WIN Stadium, we walked to watch the NRL. Great parking. Hotel room much more spacious then expected however walking out of the lift onto level 3 there are stained carpets, marks on walls, etc. Not too bad of a stay overall. I did pay upon arrival and then as I was checking out I was told I hadn't paid. I then showed the reception a copy of my online bank statement saying the cost had been taken from my account and they said OK they will sort on their end.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best. You get a great view of Golfing green as well as the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liv I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived early as my husband wasn't feeling well. Reception where fantastic. Thank you to Rodd for going out if his way to get us in our room. Our Room is spotlessly clean, the view fantastic. Heaps of parking even on a Sat. Would recommend to friends coming this way.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank TCheno
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We needed a basic 2 bedroom apartment in a good location in Wollongong. The apartment was spotlessly clean, in good working order, well sized and in a good location. Lacked a few basics like Foxtel and DVD player but we survived. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Only one bedrooms have veiws over the golf course to the beach. two bedrooms all look out to escarpm...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ren1970
Sydney
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Do yourself a favour and give this place a miss. Stayed there 20 / 7 / 2013. Started off bad greeted by a girl with glasses and a bad attitude, didnt want to acknowledge us standing there while she answered 3 calls!!!! We would have been standing there for 5 minutes, and if any staff think I'm making this up check the CCTV footage, we checked in just before 12. Basic customer service pathetic, rather than answer the phone and say do you mind if I put you on hold for a mooment - us paying customers played second fiddle to phone enquirys. Not good enough. I then asked the same girl when she took our credit card authorisation how much she was taking, 'Nothing the said' just need a credit card on file. - More about that later. Then when arriving at the room there was no control for the TV! Bathroom was not cleaned correctly. Rang reception asked for the control and was asked had a looked everywhere??!! then some hours later there was a knock on the door and they finally delivered what should have been there is the first place!. Condition on the bathroom was DISGUSTING! shower still had hairs in it.

Here comes the best part, next morning I go to check out at approximately 10am and my credit card was refused so I had to wait 2 hours until it was sorted out. Turns out the girl with glasses and a bad attitude on reception the day before had lied she had authorised our card for $248 plus the $221.95 bill!!!!! we had been charged more than twice for 1 room. Only discovered this once I called my bank, Best Western City Sands realized their mistake but wouldnt admit their were in the wrong. They assured me the money would be refunded within 3 hours 9 hours later no dice. So my advice unless you want to be greeted by a snotty individual with NO customer service and have money stolen and not returned from your credit card give this place a miss. I travel a lot for work and have stayed in some pretty bad places but this given their attitude and complete lack of customer service and theft of our money we will be giving this place a wiiiiide birth next time we are in Wollongong. Basic customer service and manners is foreign to these people but stealing peoples money sure isnt!!!!!!!. Enough said.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel, no minibar in room either. VERY DIRTY. Make sure you check with the manager that th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank Business397
DanielleWollongong, Manager at BEST WESTERN City Sands-Wollongong Golf Club, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Steve F,

Thank you for your review. I would like to apologise for the problems you experienced during your stay.
I am sure that you can appreciate we were experiencing a very busy period during your check-in, and that it is difficult for staff to address all enquiries at the same time. I will be talking to the receptionist involved and will suggest strategies she can use to make sure everyone receives timely service.

Our housekeepers usually provide an outstanding service, and the problems that you encountered will also be urgently addressed.

I have checked the situation regarding payment. I can assure you that you were not charged twice for your stay. We did take a pre-authorisation on the card you presented on check in. This establishes there are funds available, but these funds are not transferred to the hotel until the card is re-presented at check-out. As you produced a different card at check-out the pre-authorisation on the first card would have remained active until it was dropped off by your bank, which usually takes a couple of days. I hope this clears up this issue.

I trust that you found the service provided by the staff member who contacted you prior to your departure to be of our usual high standard. I believe that she was able to contact your financial institution and have the reversal of the pre-authorisation expedited.

I do hope you may consider staying with us again when you are next in Wollongong, so that we may provide you with the high standard of service that many have come to expect from our establishment.

Kind regards,

Nathan Spithill
Accommodation and Marketing Manager
Best Western City Sands
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I must have got the dodgy room. Rang down to reception after dinner to ask someone to come up and fix the heater, nobody turned up so that was a night spent shivering. A cup of hot coffee would be nice, some chance there was no power along the bench. Still the one in the bathroom works. Breakfast would be good, not till after 8 as the cook doesn't get in any earlier, off to work hungry.
Change of plans and have to return home, thats OK they just charged me an extra night.
Maybe people stay for the golf course

Wonder why the resturant is almost empty, have a meal and wonder no more.....

Room Tip: The rooms that face the road are noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank Grumpy_Old_Traveler
DanielleWollongong, Manager at BEST WESTERN City Sands-Wollongong Golf Club, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your feedback, your comments allow us to continually improve our offerings and provide guests with the best possible service.

Our restaurant received a national award in June for its products and services, so I will be following up as to why we were not able to meet your standards. Please be advised that your comments have also been passed on to our Restaurant Manager.

Without your details, or details of your stay, it makes it very hard to determine the cause of the issues encountered in your room. I can assure you that I have not received any other comments regarding power outlets not working. I have instructed my staff to alert me should they be made aware of such issues.

As is the case with many properties, Best Western City Sands has a 24 hour cancellation policy. This is outlined to guests at the time of booking and again upon arrival. Should your booking have been cancelled within this period, this policy would have been applied.

I would be more than happy to discuss these issues in more detail should you wish to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Spithill
Accommodation and Marketing Manager
Best Western City Sands
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 3 nights just last week. We got the apartment on a special price off wotif but wouldnt have mind paying more for our stay as it was just perfect! We drove down from the Gold coast so after a huge drive we got to the hotel and the check in was too easy and we were directed up to our room which really made us feel like we had a home away from home - It was huge!!! We brought our own breakfast food down with us just to cut costs of our stay and the kitchette was perfect to make your own food it , fridge, toaster and kettle all we needed! one of the days we went down stairs for breakfast which was so convienient and the food was yummy! Sitting on the balcony looking over the golf course and ocean! The bed was sooo big! First time sleeping in a King it was great! 2 Tv's - HUGE bathroom, amazing water pressure in the shower! We went out exploring each day to come back and find the room had been re stocked and cleaned. ( We did not expect this ) Was awesome :-)
we ordered room service 2 nights and it was very nice and handy as we were too tired to go out. We have to go back down to Wollongong abit over the next few months and we will not be staying anywhere else. I do not have one complaint! I cant rate it highly enough!!

Room Tip: We were in room 208 - furtherst from the lift so it was nice and quiet. One the friday night you can...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KTJLK
Canberra
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Location: just a few minutes walk to Aldi, McDonalds and lots of restaurants. Views from the balcony were beautiful. The room was much better than expected and very quiet. It had a separate bedroom with a TV, two-way bathroom (shower pressure was perfect), and large combined lounge room and kitchenette/dining. Only thing I didn't like was the bed (a double) - every time one of us moved, the whole bed moved (it certain wasn't a "no partner disturbance" type bed). If I had been staying longer than 2 nights, I would have asked for a room change because of this, because we didn't sleep well at all. I would stay here again though, it was a much nicer room (apartment, not just a room) than the Novotel where we last stayed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple