“Great Location, Shame About the Noise”

Best Western Boulevard Lodge
Best Western Boulevard Lodge
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Bundaberg
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great Location, Shame About the Noise”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

The best thing about this Best Western is its location – a stone’s throw to the airport and a very short stroll to Readings Cinema and Sugarlands Shopping Centre (which has recently been expanded). And it is one of the better motels in Bundaberg.

We have stayed here before, a few years back when this motel was quite new, but it seemed better last time. We had Room 7, which was fortunately on the ground floor (my preference as we have luggage to haul) but it was designed as a disabled room.

As such there was no shower cubicle, rather the open style shower and a curtain. This always means that water goes everywhere, and with the slippery floor tiles and no safety grips it really is an OH&S incident about to happen. It also means the toilet didn’t have a lid (my pet hate as every toilet should have a lid that’s kept closed when not in use). There was also virtually no shelving in the bathroom, making it awkward to juggle beauty products. Quite frankly this disabled room just made me feel old. And I didn’t like that at all.

It’s also a shame that they have turned they gymnasium into a store room and it’s now unavailable to guests, although there is a pool, albeit small, that should keep the kids occupied provided you supervise them.

On the plus side, our room was pleasant enough and had a nice wide screen LCD TV. There did seem to be a bigger than usual ‘push’ for us to delve into the mini bar which was scattered in various locations around the room, the most insidious a $3 500m bottle of water next to each side of the bed.

They do offer room service breakfast, and have a d’Arcy’s restaurant for dinner (which can be delivered to your room without a delivery charge) which offers a nice spread of simple fair including a daily set menu of $30 for 2 courses or $35 for all 3. And there’s also a fairly decent and cost effective wine list: the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and McWilliams Hanwood Shiraz being the stand outs. The owners certainly are doing their best to ensure any sustenance needs are met.

Last time we stayed it must have had a lower occupancy as the noise was the real issue for us this time. With the garbage truck passing noisily by at 6am, and guests in the full motel starting to leaving periodically from 6.30am (slamming car doors and boots) I think we will need to look somewhere quieter. And whilst the room compendium clearly states that room cleaning does not commence until 8.30pm, we did hear a vacuum cleaner around 7am. Oh, and on that note, we noticed the carpets were sticky and in need of a steam clean.

If you want a good location close to the airport and it’s the off season or you’re not worried about noise then it’s a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Needed a motel close to the swim meet, and I was pleased we chose Best Western Boulevard. My mother had a room downstairs and my daughter and I were upstairs. The cinema is across the road, Macca's 100m away - but no time for that!! Very clean room, with plenty of space to hang wet towels and the like. Should have asked about a dryer!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have been coming to Bundaberg for business for the past two years and have stayed since the old owners left and the new owners took over. I like staying here, the rooms are clean & secure (very important to me) and the meals are fantastic. This is just a nice hotel to stay at, nothing wrong with it. As long as you are just looking for a bed for the night, somewhere clean & comfortable then this is the place. The movie theatre is right across the road, as is McDonalds and the Sugarlands shopping centre. Everything is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms seem to be fine, try and get one on the top floor or on the side of the restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kezza L
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Family get together in Bundaberg over easter and the house was to full so had to find somewhere last minute to stay . This is a clean and comfortable place. Rooms are really clean and its off the main road so is a quiet place to stay. Location for me was perfect as it was close to where i needed to be but if you are there for a holiday you might find it a bit far out of town , Its near the airport and about a 5-10 Min drive to the CBD

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crusader007
Mooloolaba
Reviewed 28 November 2011

If you love a clean basic motel room, B/L is the place to stay. I like a clean room and have never been dissapointed. Internet easy to connect to company servers and room service meals way too big!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Do not believe the adverts, pricey, small plain & unimpressive rooms straight out of the seventies, inconviently located away from the city centre, abrupt managers, and restrictive parking. Supposed to be the newest motel in Bundaberg, puffery or false advertising at its best, I suggest you go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kerry D

Travellers are raving about these Bundaberg hotels

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I only stayed one week (7 days) and...

One morning my breakfast room service order was missed! It was about 5 minutes after the time it was supposed to be delivered, so I phoned to see how it was going. I was told that it had been missed and the kitchen was now closed. Oh well...

At checkout I suggested waiving my phone call costs (came to about $5.00) as compensation for the missed breakfast. The lady had a little laugh about it but didn't seem to think it was a good idea.

On check in I handed over my frequent flyer card, but was told that because the booking was made through wotif I couldn't earn points on it. I travel all the time with work. I'm actually away from home more often than I am home, and ALL my bookings are done through wotif. However this has never been a problem at any other motel!!

On Saturday, although I wasn't home all day, my room didn't get serviced. To be honest, I don't care, but it's hardly what I'd expect of 4 stars either.

Thismorning my "omelet" was served with no filling. In other words, it was a dry piece of egg. I couldn't even eat it all. This happened because on my breakfast order I did not tick any fillings. This was not a mistake. You see, when I handed my first order in the lady said, "don't forget to tick your 3 fillings, If you don't tick any we'll just make you our favorite omelet because obviously we don't know what you like". So this time I decided to leave it upto the chef. Turns out the chefs favorite omelet is a dry piece of egg??? Yeah right. I don't even know any chef that would be happy to serve an omelet like this, especially without further clarification.

So while all the above issues are fairly small, overall, I don't think this place should have been rated 4 stars. I suspect the AAA has rated it 4 stars because the building is nice, the rooms are nice, etc....and it's not all bad:

On the bright side, there is free internet. Having said that, I've stayed in 4 different Bundaberg motels and they all had free internet (seems to be common here). I liked all of them better (and some of them are cheaper).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business