“Depends if you like Rum”

Bundaberg Rum Distillery
Ranked #1 of 46 things to do in Bundaberg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Under the careful and crafty eyes of our Distillers, Blenders and Bondsmen, millions of litres of Bundaberg Rum are aged to perfection here at the Bundaberg Rum Distillery. After protecting and ageing our rums since the 70s, the grand old guardian of the distillery Bondstore #7, has been given new life by being transformed into our immersive Bundaberg Rum Museum. Inside, you’ll walk through a series of 75,000 litre American White Oak Vats – the very same vats which have matured hundreds of thousands of litres of rum (after being emptied and rebuilt of course). Inside these vats live a sensory experience where you can see, touch and smell your way through our rich history in creating Australia’s Favourite Rum – Bundaberg Rum. Please ensure that you arrive at least 20-30 mins early for your tour, especially for the last tour of the day and during school holiday periods. Unfortunately Flammable devices; matches and lighters, as well as any item with a battery including; watches, cameras, and mobile phones, pose a fire hazard to the Distillery and cannot be taken on tour. Lockers are provided free of charge to store these items whilst inside the Distillery on tour. If you have a medically required device such as a hearing aid, give us a call in advance so we can make arrangements for you to bring those items with you.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'm don't like Rum, can't even stand the taste of it, so when we found out the price to get in, I decided I wouldn't do the tour, but my man did, and he said it was ok, too quick though. I must admit I was surprised at how quickly he returned and found me still in the shop where I purchased a bottle of Rum with the label personalised for my friends birthday. The novelty of it was cool and she loved her present, but really, I could have gone to the bottleshop at a pub and got a bottle and a birthday card and it would have been cheaper and she still would have loved it. Would we go again? NO. Would we recommend it to anyone? only if you are a real Rum enthusiast and willing to pay the money.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We arrived for the 3 PM tour and told it was $25.00 for the cost of the tour. Well..., we had come this far, so we decided to go for it. This was not the right decision. On top the $25 my wife was told she could not wear her designer *jandels and she would need to rent some closed shoes at an additional cost of $2.50.( *the national footwear of Australia )
The museum bit prior to the tour was the best part. Informative with stories not only of the Rum distillery but the town itself. Once inside with our correct shoes, we were then informed we could not take pictures and we would have to leave cameras and anything which had a battery. i.e. watches, cell phones, pacemakers etc..... . The tour itself showed nothing of the distillery. Yes we did see a continuous column distillery made of Stainless Steel from about 30 feet and the pot distilleries at a similar distance. Nothing like the shiny copper ones we had seen on other distillery tours we've been on. This is purely a factory and nothing is shiny and polished here.
They did give a brief description of the process but this was very vague at best. Next stop was the vat storage area. A couple of barrels in racks but mostly just huge vats with rum inside. Here they ran us through all the different rums they had for sale and then it was back to the Bar and the STORE. Kind of like a Disneyland experience? After every ride you end up in a Store!
Our $25 covered also the cost of two very "SHORT" drinks. Before the bar opened they gave an explanation of why we should only have one if we were driving in the next hour.
Total time of actual tour about 15 minutes tops ...... rest of the time was spent securing our belongings and walking through the Cane Train rail yard and then to the bar.
In my estimation this tour is way over priced especially as one can enter the store for free.
Just in case your interested.................... I do not drink Bundaberg Rum, so I gave our tickets to some students who were not driving.

3  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 3 July 2014

im so angry I could spit >:(

one of the reasons I stopped in here was to put money into the community after the recent floods etc. I still have a "water mark" Bottle in my bar.

now I can forgive a lot of things, even this garbage of not taking a camera, a phone, a watch, (even if it doesn't have a battery) into their tour that takes you no where near any of the sensitive areas. in the tour all you see is a few vats behind glass and their molasses tank,, I can even forgive their incessant sales pitch in their "staged" vat room..

but one thing I wont put up with is their "perceived" Political Correctness when putting a few words at the bottom of one of their bottles of rum that I was about to purchase.

on my bottle of Rum I wanted to put - "Bundy is Gods way of telling us he loves us"

a similar saying to what Abraham Lincoln used once.

so this guy goes away and then comes back and says. - sorry but this doesn't follow their "guide lines"

what?

he wouldn't even say what "their" guide lines were or what was wrong with it. he was also canning others for ridiculous reasons. absolutely pathetic!!

so we put our "about" to be purchased items back on the shelf and not bothered with the rest of what we were about to purchase, items to be valued to about $400

we also left the town to go to the next town to fill our vehicle as it was getting low.

have queenslanders become this soft?

the other saying I'd like to say about Bundy has two words - first word Soft ...

10  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A good tour guide showed us through the stages of making rum and guided us in our selection of tasting. The hands on museum is excellent

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our time was limited so we only stopped in to the Shop and Entrance Area as it has a great history section free to view......would love to go back when I have a couple of hours to spare.