“Severely disappointed”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Penny Lane Gardens Restaurant is a family owned and operated fully licensed restaurant and is the perfect place for your next dinner or event. We cater for lunch and dinner; with events such as engagement parties, anniversary dinners, weddings, birthdays, christenings, bridal shower, and high teas. Penny Lane Gardens is a unique garden setting on 5 acres with a range of open air or verandah settings. We have a lush lawn area for the marquee wedding you have always dreamed of, or a fairy lit verandah for something a little lower key. Wedding ceremony by the dam under the paperbark trees in the afternoon breezes allows opportunities for stunning photos to remember your special day. Penny Lane Gardens is located 5 minutes from the CBD and is your peaceful escape from the rush of todays’ hectic lifestyle, join us to relax by the waterfalls and enjoy the garden surroundings whilst enjoying modern and traditional cuisine, prepared by Head Chef Joseph with a focus on fresh local produce. Working together with the team to bring you flavours from around the world whilst delivering quality and consistency. If you have dietary requirements such as gluten free, lactose free and vegetarian options we are happy to cater to your requirements. We offer a family friendly venue with onsite car park and plenty of off street parking, wheelchair access, bill splitting for parties, privacy with plenty of space for conversation without intrusion. The only thing we don’t offer is air conditioning, we rely on the breezes to stay cool and heaters in the winter to take the chill out of the air. Why not join us today to enjoy the peaceful surrounds of the wind blowing through the trees, the serenity of the native wildlife or feed the resident possums.
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We came here in October 2013 and didn't mind it. We loved the fairy lights and the food was alright.

Fast forward to Feb 2014 and enter a redesigned menu, and what I assume is a new chef. And it's Terrible.

I was looking forward to coming for the orange duck. Last year was a beautifully cooked, pull off the bone bird with a delicious orange glaze. A great consistency and texture, not thick but not runny. Just a nice syrupy glaze as it should be. The flavour was definitely orange with a subtle sweetness. The skin was crisp, as a twice roasted duck promises to have.

THIS time around? Severely disappointed.
The duck is served cut up, which is different from last time but I liked it actually, easier to eat this way.
That's where the goodness stops. The duck was chewy and not at all "twice roasted" as it claims. Soggy and not crisp at all. The only semi crisp skin I could find was around the leg bone.
The glaze was the worst part. Where do I even begin.
The glaze was more like honey with a bit of orange zest thrown in the mix. The flavour was not at all orange. Only the tiniest hint which we almost missed had it not been for the zest to confirm there was supposed to be some orange in there.
I honestly thought there was a mistake because it was the taste of honey, not to mention the THICKEST consistency ever. It felt and tasted and smelled of honey. The fork could poke at it and it would bounce back slightly, just like the thickness of honey, if not thicker.
I asked the waitress if there was a mistake, and she was nice enough to check with the chef. Apparently all he could say was "it's not honey it's an orange glaze". Well I knew that already didn't I? I read the menu and ordered it didn't I? Expecting the same orange glazed duck as last time.
So after no help I decided to keep eating as I was starving at this point (1hr wait time between entree and main, yes they are slow but we knew this from last time so I'm not going to complain about it).
Starving, I tried to just eat it. This was no easy task, and at every mouthful I had to take a drink of water, it was that sickly sweet. My tongue actually hurt after trying to eat it with sugar overload, so I barely ate any.
This definitely did not represent the meal I had last time, let alone what it describes on the menu!
My partner's steak was also overdone but I really want to focus on the duck dish here.

I don't want to offend, but it was very disappointing and it's a shame because the previous duck dish was very enjoyable. It was my go-to duck dish in the Bundaberg area, but now I don't know if we will be coming back.

Staff are friendly enough and we still enjoyed the ambiance with the lights etc. but as I say, disappointing result.

3  Thank Jen M
There are newer reviews for Penny Lane Gardens Restaurant

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We chose Penny Lane for our Valentines Day dinner as the pre-advertised menu looked irresistible and such good value at $50 for three courses. For sure we were not disappointed, as the service, food and atmosphere of this spacious rural restaurant were all very good indeed. I chose the szechuan calamari, rib-eye with bug tail and profiteroles filled with turkish delight ice cream. My wife had the bruschetta, vegetarian pilaf and chocolate brownie. All courses were beautifully presented and except for one, tasted great. The only reason not to rate excellent was that the pilaf dish for the main both looked and tasted rather gluggy and badly needed a fresh vegetable on the side. Good selection of drinks and eating areas and a great venue for a special occasion as well as an everyday breakfast, lunch or supper.

2  Thank NickyP54
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Lovely relaxed atmosphere, great tasty food, very good portion sizes. We had the Pesce Mango reef fish and a rib fillet - delicious! Dessert (chocolate brownie with chocolate truffle and sorbet) looked and tasted fantastic! We will be taking everyone we know here!

1  Thank natanddom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I went here for my birthday dinner. As soon as we arrived we were met by a young girl and shown to our table. The menus and wine lists were brought quickly and any questions we had were politely answered. Our drink/food order was taken and drinks bought out quickly. The meals came out fairly quickly and we both enjoyed our meals. Desserts were delicious and all in all it was a very pleasant evening. It has a lovely atmosphere - the fairy lights twinkling in the trees and lush gardens. We will certainly be returning and can highly recommend to anyone looking for a lovely night out. It is well priced and worth the drive.

2  Thank QueenslandTurtle
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

First time at this restaurant , we had breakfast and the poached eggs were cooked to perfection , nice and creamy hollandaise sauce . Very nice and worth the half an hour drive ! Prompt service and relaxing ambience .

1  Thank Maya7981