“Another reasonable Quest”

Quest Mackay
Australia
“Another reasonable Quest”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I really like the style of accommodation quest offers with the option of daily room service & chargebacks or dining on site, but self contained facilities like washing machines and a kitchen. This Quest was reasonable, but probably not the best I have stayed at.

Customer service staff were really nice and accommodating-it was fully booked the week we stayed but they still managed to offer us an early check in. They also had some free beverages in the fridge for us.

The room and balcony size was good and all appliances were in good working order. The Television was also a generous size.

They did not have an onsite gym like many Quests. In addition the room was a little worn for examples there were lots of stains on the carpet.

The location is really good-close to the Mackay showgrounds, lots of dining options and a shopping centre.

Overall if I was staying in Mackay again I'd certainly consider staying there again. Hopefully they will give the rooms a mini revamp and then I think it would be worth 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
am_mackay, General Manager at Quest Mackay, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
What lovely feedback :-) Great minds think alike, we are about to begin a refurbishment which has includes new carpets, lighting, couches to name but a few. Thank you for your feedback regarding our service. Hopefully we will see you again prior to the next Queensland Mining Expo.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Jimboomba
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great rates offered over the phone. Very clean and tidy. Secure underground carparking a must in this city. The staff were polite and rooms kept very clean .
No room service a bit of a downer, but its handy to a lot of little restaurants. Easy walking distance to shops.
The late night clubbers and pub people quite noisy in the early hours of the morning walking home, which a bit disconcerting for the kids to hear their carry on .

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from main road
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate your feedback and value your praise of our staff and apartments, hopefully next time you travel we can accommodate you on the quieter side of the property
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here before, really nice friendly staff, no need to go anywhere else when you stay in Mackay. Great location, right is the middle of the town.
The 1 bedroom self contained room was well set up and had everything you need.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lovely! Thank you so much each and every staff member does there best to ensure we are the best property in Mackay and it is wonderful to see this acknowledged and rewarded by return guests! THANK YOU!
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Quest Mackay in a studio room. I have stayed at many Quest hotels and love them for the whole familiar experience that they offer. However, my recent stay in Mackay was on State of Origin night and was one that has raised serious alarm bells from a security perspective.

At about 1:30am we were awoken by loud noise coming from the room next door. We let it go initially thinking that it would only last for a few minutes ... Unfortunately it got worse. At 1:45am we attempted to phone reception ... They close late evening. A security company mobile number was listed, so we rang them ... Had to leave a voice mail message. Next we tried calling the police, and got through to a call centre in Brisbane who logged the call with the local police. At 2:15am we tried the security company again ... Still it went to voice mail and we left a second message. We again phoned the police, as by now the noise had escalated (both loud music and raised voices). Eventually we received a phone call from the police asking us to let the into the building, which we declined to do! We had no idea who we would come across in the hallway, and the potential retribution we might face once the police had left the building.

What might have happened if I was in the hotel alone and I thought my life was in danger? At what point does the hotel need to step up and recognise their duty of care to their guests?

Each Quest hotel is a franchise, and I would like to know if these security practices are standard across all other Quest hotels. I need to feel safe when I stay in a hotel, and I need to be reassured that in an emergency situation I can escalate to someone that will respond and resolve the issue without me having to leave my room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
am_mackay, General Manager at Quest Mackay, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback, we strongly believe that feedback is a vital in this industry. We are very disappointed that this incident occurred and it impacted your stay with us. As with all Quest properties they are individually franchised and you should have been connected to the franchisee or general manager after hours. Guest safety is paramount to us, We are currently looking into this with our security company to ensure it doesn't happen again, I'm also following up my phone provider as the process for the phone once reception is closed is at the end of the message you press 2 and it is transferred to the after hours manager who is there to promptly handle any emergency guest requests. I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to Quest Mackay at a later date to show you why we are the winner of the 'Deluxe Accommodation 2014' as voted by Mackay Tourism.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The folks at quest have certainly nailed the plain sanitized cold vibe. Everything is like new but seems very budget. Good location comfortable bed are pluses. Service was very limited but good. Air con vent over the bed is a mistake.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank MaKelly71
Neutral Bay, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst on business in Mackay, hotel is located centrally & walking distance to many restaurants. Room was large, great with a little kitchen, good sized comfortable bed. Only downside was the noise from outside, windows should be double glazed as I was woken several times by outside noise.
Overall a good stay & would stay here next time I am in Mackay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Australia
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is always clean & well furnished. Large rooms with kitchenette, which when travelling lots is sometimes good to be able to either cook something yourself, or bring a light breakfast.
King size bed is always appreciated.
Secure car park that has a second lift is also a great benefit. I'll be back I'm sure.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business