“Overpriced, disappointing!”

Lanai Riverside Apartments
Baralaba
“Overpriced, disappointing!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have just spent an overnight stay at Lanai on our way to Airlie Beach. The 3 bedroom we were in has a number of faults. Half flush on toilet in enquire did not work, balconies were filthy, lights on lounge room not working (perhaps a simple bulb replacement) and walls terribly dirty and marked. The most disappointing was the air conditioning, which signs claim has been thermostat controlled to 23 degrees, which is way to cold, why can't individuals control to a temperature of their liking? Also, the washing machine did not work, was disappointing that management did not offer the services of another! At $345 for the night, very poor service! The positives, the location, the pool and awesome breakfast delivery available from nearby metro :)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank MelissaLong
Emma P, General Manager at Lanai Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
We would like to thank you for your feedback, we are disappointed that your stay was not at the standard it should have been. We have just started an extensive refreshment and refurbishment program, which includes painting of walls and balconies. Any maintenance issues should be resolved prior to your check-in so for this I sincerely apologize.
We are putting new measures in place to prevent any issues such as the ones you experienced happening again.
We hope that one day you may return to Lanai so we can show you the improvements that have been made

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Yeppoon, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights in a 3 bedroom apartment. One Queen & Two Doubles made this comfortable for our family of 5. Full modern kitchen facilities, huge balcony with river & city view from 9th floor. Blinds were not block out so main bedroom was bright very early but we are morning people so not really an issue. All furniture and fixtures were modern and tasteful. The apartment was spotlessly clean. Pool was big & long, great for laps. Short stroll to waterpark, massive shopping centre & nice restaurants were all positives. Will definitely stay at this apartment hotel again... Excellent value!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank MLM132
Emma P, General Manager at Lanai Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Wow - thank you so much for your fantastic review! As all of our units are individually owned you can be guaranteed that each has their own personal touches to create a home away from home experience with the quality finish one should expect. And yes, our pool has been a very popular choice over this summer break and given our location (right alongside the Bluewater Lagoon) our guests have been spoilt for choice, particularly the children. Naturally our team have been working hard to ensure our complex is presented to a very high standard of cleanliness and presentation, so I will ensure your comments are passed on to all. Again, our sincere appreciation from the Lanai team!
cairns
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed in 3 bedroom apartment.Only 1 television,which is difficult when you have children.Television points in other bedrooms,but Lanai could not,or would not try and supply second television.Their excuse was,all apartments individually owned.The blinds,if you could call them that,were shocking,with the sun streaming in at dawn,waking everyone up,especially the younger ones.No re-fill of basics,during our week stay,which I find unbelievable,for a "5 star" apartment.The tiles in the outdoor sitting area were filthy,with everyone getting 'black' feet,if walked on without footwear.The lounges around the pool,are made of timber,with no padding whatsoever.So uncomfortable,actually hurt your back.The only reason,I am not rating as "terrible",is because the pool was lovely and clean,but that was the only plus.
I know sound like a complainer,but I would never stay there again,or recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Would not advise....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Liane J
Emma P, General Manager at Lanai Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Hi Liane

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at Lanai Riverside Apartments. I am disappointed that your stay was not as enjoyable as what we strive to provide. I would like to address the points you have raised and provide some feedback for you:
- Televisions - yes all apartments do only have 1 TV in the lounge (we only have 2 apartments in the complex with a second TV). As we mange the apartments only we do not have TV's that can be moved from one apartment to another, I apologise if this was unsatisfactory for you and should you wish to return to Lanai please advise at the time of booking and we would allocate one of the units with 2 TV's.
- Re-fill of toiletries - we do advise prior to arrival an information email advising of the consumables provided in your apartment, as the units are fully self-contained we provide a starter pack for you only, we are always more than happy to provide a few extra's however we do not replenish as standard
-Sun loungers - due to the extreme conditions in Queensland the Body Corporate purchased furniture that was durable and of a very high quality - we are always more than happy to provide pool towels

I will pass on your feedback to our head of maintenance as he is responsible for the pool and does an extremely great job. I will also pass all of your feedback onto our owners, this can then assist them in furnishing their apartments to suit guest requirements.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I do hope that you may return to Lanai Riverside Apartments

Kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

On the positive side of things, the staff were friendly and accommodating, the physical size of the apartment was good and the equipment in the kitchen was of high standard. The views were also impressive.

I think the disappointment was in the value for money. It was expensive for what it was. What really annoyed us was the "instructions" to vacate. Must throw rubbish away, must put dishwasher on, must.... Anyway if you're paying a large sum of money, this isn't acceptable. The other issue was not being able to smoke anywhere on site.

The rules stated this was due to government regulations and body corporate rules. I used to live in an apartment block that was also a hotel, one run by Accor. It was never a problem there or in any other hotel I've stayed at in Queensland. Sure not inside, most smokers don't smoke inside anyway.. I'm sure it's just the body corporate rules. Every place I've stayed at in QLD has been fine with smoking on the balcony with the doors shut. My most recent stay in a hotel in QLD that allowed this, was the night before in Townsville.

To make it a truly good place to stay, they need to find a place or even provide a place outside the hotel (car park?) where smokers can smoke. This would take the edge off the no smoking on site. The other thing they need to do is accept that if you're paying lots of money, you should not have to empty your own bins, not have to put the dishwasher on, and if they insist on this, then don't put notices inside the apartment saying extra cleaning fees will apply if you don't do what we say.. It was just a bit too much when paying that kind of price.

The other thing that annoyed us was the fact that the pool shown on their website, was not part of the complex. It was the pool run by the council next door. You had free admission, but it looks like it's part of the resort when it's not. They need to make that clear on their website.

Stayed December 2013
Emma P, General Manager at Lanai Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Hi

I would like to thank you for your recent review of Lanai Riverside Apartments. I am very pleased to hear that all of our staff were friendly and accommodating, we strive to provide excellent customer service from the first phone call to you departing Lanai.

I appreciate your feedback in relation to our notice to guests, we have this notice up simply to advise guests to remove their excess rubbish from the apartment and to ensure all dishes are in the dishwasher prior to departure, this is standard practice within an apartment complex.

With regards to the no-smoking policy, the whole building is a designated smoke free complex, we do advise this prior to arrival, it is on our website and our confirmation email that is sent out. We cannot allow smoking on balconies as this would affect the comfort of other guests and residents. I appreciate your comments regarding a designated area for smokers and will pursue this further.

I appreciate your feedback in relation to our website content, yes the lagoon featured on our website is not part of our complex, but we have images to show what both Lanai and the Mackay as a destination have to offer, i am sorry for the confusion and will review the website content.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we rely on all feedback to maintain and improve Lanai Riverside Apartments.

North Qld
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed just one night at Lanai Apartments and have a great stay. The apartment was on the 9th floor with a nice view of river out to the ocean in the distance. Very large 3 Bedroom Apartment with 2 bathrooms modern kitchen lounge room etc also had a nice balcony for drinks and nibbles before we went to a concert in Mackay. If anything the double bed in the 2nd bedroom would be better as a queen size but don't let that deter you. Great location next to the river, close to shops and the swimming lagoon, we will be back next time we visit Mackay

Stayed November 2013
Emma P, General Manager at Lanai Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hi,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us after your stay and am delighted to know that you had a great time whilst staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Launcestown, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Saw and need to kill 2 cockroaches the day I arrived.
At night saw one more at the bathroom, was in panic, call the after hour reception that told me the building was fumigate and there was nothing to do about it! Meanwhile saw other 2 in the sink! Ask if someone can come here to kill them and had a no as an answer! The lady said to me to take a tissue and kill them! I said I can't do it and ask if someone can bring me a spray and she said is prohibited cuz of children! So, here I am with 3 cockroaches around, in panic crying!
Horrible experience!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ursula_Donati
Emma P, General Manager at Lanai Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Ursula

I would like to thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at Lanai. I have looked into the issues that you have raised and would like to take this opportunity to advise our actions. The complex was fully treated in March, 2013, the treatment is guaranteed for 12 months and the local company used will re-treat if required.
It was brought to my attention that our after-hours manager received a phone call stating there was 1 cockroach in your apartment, the manager advised that the apartments are treated and we would investigate further for you. The unit has been re-treated this week and will be monitored carefully in the coming weeks to ensure the issue has been resolved.
I am disappointed that your stay with us was not pleasurable as we strive to provide excellent customer service and a high standard of accommodation that is suitable for both families and corporate guests.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had booked a two Bedroom apartment and paid advance primarily because of location and the photos on the website and the gym facilities. On check in I was advised that we had been upgraded to a penthouse suite but in the same breath was told that we wouldn't be given access to the rooftop or the spa........really!!!! Bit like being upgraded to business class on a flight and being told that you still had to pay for drinks and you had to eat what was. Being served in economy class. The apartments were modern and very well equipped but the gym facilities were very very ordinary - the gym was about 3m x 3m and had one exercise bike a treadmill and some hand weights and a single bench - the bike did not work - the treadmill on starting sounded as if it was going to explode. The location is great and there is a great walking track along the river - the apartments was well appointed and clean but won't be rushing back there primarily because of the gym and the upgrade you get when you don't really get an upgrade

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business