Illawong Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Oaks Carlyle(Mackay)
Shamrock Gardens Motel(Mackay)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of June. Found the units to be clean, roomy, and beautiful views. Airport noise didn't bother us at all-hey you could hear them land and take off but it's over in a few seconds-it just added to the excitement. Loved the fact I woke to uninterrupted beach views instead of noisey Nebo Road. Very helpful and friendly management! Will be back:)

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank tankost
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed at Illawong Beach Resort for 5 nights with my daughter and granddaughter.....friendly helpful staff which is always a good start .....the villa was clean and adequate for our stay....close to airport....though a bit noisy, did not bother us as we live near the Amberley Airforce Base and are used to planes flying overhead.....the noise stopped at night anyway....nice and handy to the beach as well...nothing fancy but much better than staying in a motel in the middle of town.....we were there for a hockey carnival and it was only a few minutes down the road to the hockey centre....very convenient....

Room Tip: Ask for a villa facing the ocean......
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank bestcp
Reviewed 17 April 2013

After reading some of the previous reviews I was quite prepared for the worst, but instead I was pleasantly surprised. Stayed with my children and grandchildren for the weekend. Our cabin faced the beach and was reasonably spacious. The only thing I would do next time is buy some more groceries and supplies as the restaurant is closed on the weekend and the nearest store is 10 mins down the road. The kitchen was well set up with a full sized fridge and plenty of cupboard space. Nice if you want to get away from the bustle of Nebo Road where most of the motels are.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ljh62
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The place was past its used by date. A bit run down and needed a really good clean. We were attached by bed bugs and left extremely itchy. Do not be fooled by the name resort, it definently isn't one anymore. It was sufficient but are definently penny pinching.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Pepsi987
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I should have read the reviews before going though, as the airport was extremely close and the noise was horrible. With a 7 month old baby and 2 otehr small kids it wasn't a pleasant experience at all. The beach was lovely but the low tides were a pain with the water going out at least a couple of kilometre making for an extremely long walk just to have a swim. The villas is very out of date and needs lots of attention. Our villa had an unpleasant smell in it, we tried everything to get rid of the bad smell but nothing helped. We had to sleep with the sliding door open and that took away most of the bad smell thanks to the loverly rain. The villa wasn't very clean, very dissapointed especially when we entered the bathroom and there were 2heaps of sands due to ants. I mean before someone book in please make sure everything is ready to go. We were there 2 hours before checking in just to leave the trailer there so that we could go shopping but the lady at the reception desk informed me that they just cleaned the villa and we're all good to book in.
It rained most of the time we were there though making it extremely hard to unpack the car. The car is not allowed to get park outside your villa it must stay in the carpark that was nearly 30metres away from the villa and we had to walk a few times to get the car unpack. We went with a trailor because my family from overseas were here and not even the trailor was allowed to get park outside the villa, it had to stay in the car park.The pool area is quit nice but nothing else to do for children especially in cooler days like now. It's too cold to swim. One other thing that I can mention is that the photos on their website is from an other angle but what I saw was something different.
This resort is not family orientated at all but catered more for contractors.

From all my experiences with accommodation in Oz this was the worst of them all!!! I will never ever refer anyone to this resort or stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose or ask for a room close to carpark.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family