“dont stay there”

Ranked #5 of 6 Mount Isa B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“dont stay there”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We booked on line for 4 nights @$160/night including a cooked breakfast. We arrived on Sunday evening, on check in I enquired what time breakfast was and was told it was from 6.30 till 10am. Next morning we had a knock on the door at 8.15 asking if we wanted to have our room serviced. We told them to come back later as we had just gotten up, at 9.10am we went for breakfast only to be told that it finished at 9.00am and the chef had gone but we could have cereal with some uht milk and toast. When we complained about the time, they said sorry the receptionist is new. Next morning my husband went for breakfast at 6.30am to be told that there was no milk, no bread no bacon but he could have egg and sausage. The eggs were cooked on a greasy plate and were black on the bottom. I settled for omelette that look a bit like a cross between an omelette and scrambled eggs. After again expressing my displeasure the manager produced some bread from her personal supply. I made enquires about the onsite laundry only to be told that it had been broken for a couple of weeks. It was mentioned to me that the motel was in receivership and that they had to make a request for supplies a week in advance. We chose not to eat in the restaurant. Next morning the breakfast was back on track, although very basic. Cleaners is another story, it was hit and miss, the first two days was ok, but different cleaners and basic bed making consisted of pulling up the bedspread over the crumpled sheets. We would not stay there again. Round town it is known that the Burke and Wills Motel which is the sister motel is in the same position

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Debbie O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stay here everytime i travel to Mt Isa. I've stayed at a few different hotels and I've found this hotel to be the best value for money. Beds are comfortable and I havent been woken up by traffic as there is barely any traffic on the road in Mt Isa at night (and I'm generally a light sleeper). The shower is average. The service is always good, the restaurant meals are nice (and big) and they offer room service. The pool is nice. Location is good, walking distance to main street. Cleaners do come through early (about 8am) but the cleaner they've had over the past couple of years is lovely and always polite.

Room Tip: There are rooms further off the road if light traffic noise is a problem.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights on our way back from the NT. the Motel is clean, the firttings are not new but not old either, its a strange room with the bathroom sink sitting outside the bathroom but overall the bathroom facilty was ok. the TV was not a flat screen.
well positioned with all pubs/restaurants a short 10min walk away, there is a coles/Wollies a short 5 min drive away. the motel does have a restaurant, but we did not dine here or have breakfast here so i cant comment. you can park your car close to your room which makes for easy packing/unpacking.
Now for the strange stuff, i have never been in a motel where room service knocked on the door at 8am to make up the room, we were still in bed & asked for them to comer back which they never did. the beds have these strange bedside lamps mounted on the wall just above the bed, i constantly knocked my head on these actually knocking one of its mounting leaving a whole lot of concrete dust on the bed.
overall the place is reasonably fitted out, clean, you can hear some traffic of the main street but its not to bad, is it worth $145 a night, probably not, good for a one night stay but next time i will explore other options

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We travelled to the Isa for the Mining Expo, the Outback was the only hotel with rooms left for the 3 nights and we had to pay the $180 a night. The rooms were large but very basic, I was in a room nearer the road and could hear the vehicles most of the night. The cleaners came around very early to get the towels, I had to ask her to come back later.
The Restaurant was on site with a small bar, the food was very good with large servings, the breakfast looked basic , but the cook was ill and we couldn't get hot food.
I'v marked it down due to the expence of the room and would not stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road, if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank wizard60

Travellers are raving about these Mount Isa hotels

Broome, WA
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I found it great for the $99 Friday night price. An older style room but spacious, great restaurant on site, good service and comfy bed. They even gave u arnotts cookies with the tea and Coffee supplies which is a nice touch and had lovely white fluffy towels. Off the main area we found it nice and quiet. Parking was right outside the door as well. No complaints here!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank AdventureIsOutThere2
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Got a room with two queen beds, or so I thought. Anywhere else they would be double beds. My feet were hanging over the end. :(

Also, at reception they wanted to record my credit card number in their computer. In this day, this really is 'not on!'. I negotiated a cash security deposit. Not ideal given I paid in advance anyway, but better than them having a potentially permanent record of my credit card.

Convenient and quiet location. would stay again at a pinch.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Phiz_1472
Yulara, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Booked the Spa room at the outback Motel Mount Isa online - $140 P/N was given a key n check in 1st room we went too no spa - just a basic room - went back and gave us the key to the outback suite - room isnt too bad but next to restaurant, noisy and curtains don't close all the way - and blinds didnt close properly - on check in schoolkids behind the counter too - so yeah says just about everything -

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business