“Disappointed......”
Review of Abacus Motel

Abacus Motel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Mount Isa
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Rooms were clean however there were no teaspoons (only paddle pop sticks) and In fact no cutlery. Not even a saucer. Most motels these days have a microwave, not this one. The coffee mugs weren't matching. They are just little things I know but doesn't make the owners look professional. Other things; we were unable to lock the door (had to seek help from the office) and continued to struggle with it over the 3 days. The shower screen needs to be lowered, it would be approx. 75ml above the floor, hence the bathroom floor became very wet and dangerous, the exhaust fan in the bathroom was very noisy. The toilet seat was not square plus sounded like it was filling up non stop - it did not stop. We had heard so much about this motel and even when I lived in Isa it was only positive reports. I know the people who have it now have only been there since September but having worked in Motels it was a bit sloppy. I only have positive things to say about Melissa who I had spoken to a couple of time leading up to the visit....she is great. By the way all of the above has been reported to the owners so hopefully when you get to stay there it will be A OK,

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jenny O
AbacusTeam, Owner at Abacus Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hi Jenny O, Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We would like to say that we were trialing the use of paddle pop sticks in place of spoons in the rooms as we were having to replace the spoons constantly due to them going "missing". Unfortunately we do have only one semi-contained unit at the motel but all the other rooms do have an electric jug. I positive the managers are more than happy to help with any requests they receive from guests who require items that are not usually in their rooms. Thank you for bringing the other issues to our attention and they either have, or will be addressed as soon as possible.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed overnight after attending a wedding function held at the Motel.
What can I say! Everything was perfect! Food was awesome, atmosphere welcoming & very friendly, rooms well appointed, clean and very comfortable. Surprisingly no noise from the adjacent highway. We felt very comfortable and relaxed here and will definitely recommend A++

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandi J
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am a solo, female travelling around Aus and I found Shane and Melissa to be fantastic hosts, going that extra mile by dropping me into town and letting me hang out after I had checked out and was waiting for my bus. I would definitely stay here again. Meals in the restaurant were delicious and whilst there were a few miners staying here also, they didn't bother me and stopped yacking about 10.30pm at night so I was able to get a decent night's sleep in a comfy and clean room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay in Mt Isa and after searching through the recent trip advisor reviews we picked the Abacus Motel as our place to stay.

The motel has relatively new owners so you can now safely discard the previous bad reviews, as Shane and Melissa (who arrived in September 2013) have made what was obviously a poorly run establishment into a warm and family friendly place to stay.

The motel is 3.5 kilometres from the main shopping centre so transport is required as there is no local bus service. Expect to pay around $15 or more if you have to get a taxi into the town.

Its located on the highway and there is a little road noise but certainly not enough to disturb you, so that should not put you off. Its oldish but no more than most of the other places in Mt Isa. Its doesn't have a great deal of street appeal as you drive in as Mt Isa is a dry and dusty town and the area surrounding the motel reflects this because water is precious.

We had booked a family room but it was double booked on our first night and we were given two adjoining rooms for $10 more and a promise we could have the family room the following night. However, the two room set up was comfortable and ideal for us as we had a 15 month old toddler with us.

Melissa set us up with a toaster and crockery and knives and forks, spoons etc so we could do our own breakfast in the room. There is a restaurant serving breakfast and it can also be delived to your room if you wish. The restaurant has a decent menu with prices hovering around the $30 mark for mains for dining at night.

The place has a small pool to cool off in and it was clean. Its probably more popular with kids than adults because of its size.

The split system air con in the room was excellent with no rattles or other noises. The is also a ceiling fan. There is a small fridge and a jug in the room with free tea and coffee.There are extra blankets and pillows in the room if needed and you can park right outside you room with undercover parking.

There is a large tv in the room with Austar channels, so you can usually find something reasonable to watch. An iron and ironing board is also supplied which is handy.

There is a guest laundry and a large washing machine which takes five one dollar coins. The dryer costs $4 and will handle a big load.

Our room had a queen sized bed and a single bed. Both were comfortable and not hard or lumpy like some places we have stayed at before.

Mt Isa is a largish mining town of 20 thousand plus population and incomes are generally pretty high so this is reflected in the price you have to pay for accommodation and food etc. What you may pay $ 90 for in similar motels in the better populated areas of Australia will cost you $150 plus in Mt Isa. So there are no bargains as such.

We paid $175 a night for our two rooms. if we had chosen the family room with a kitchenette, a queen sized bed and 3 bunk beds it would have cost us $165. Expect to pay more in many other places that are a bit closer to the shopping centre.

On the basis that this place is probably around the 3 star mark I would give it an overall rating of 7/10. Its clean and I would stay again.The new owners are helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road- We had rooms 11 and 12 which were fine. Room 1 is closest to the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My first ever time in Mt Isa and who can complain when the hotelier lends you his very own car to pop into town to go the information centre! Great service, super friendly staff. I'll stay here again just to support this kind, local family

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jaystranan
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

For $163 per night for a family room for 5, this was a great little find. Management were helpful.
Bunks 2 on bottom 1 on top and a double bed. Kitchenette, outside courtyard and very clean. We stated in early April and very quiet.
It's on the left as you drive into town from NT and a couple of km from down town.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank tfgclub
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Abacus when driving through Mt Isa on our holiday road trip. We were really impressed with the new managers. They were so friendly and helpful. The rooms were good and we had an awesome feed at the restaurant - I forget what they called their chicken specialty dish but it was so yum! I'll definitely be recommending this place to my rellies, friends and neighbours if they're out that way!

• Stayed: February 2013