“Lock up your valuables”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Mount Isa
Darwin, Australia
“Lock up your valuables”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family and I stayed at the Abacus while passing through Mt Isa on our travels, the air conditioners were unable to keep up with cooling the room resulting in almost 40 degree temperature inside.
Due to asking staff to attend our room to address this problem and also room service being delivered we had staff in our room approximately 5 or 6 times that evening, also because of the heat in the room and being 32 weeks pregnant I was in the bedroom trying to cool down with a bucket of ice for the most part while staff were in attendance.
Upon our departure in the early hours of the next morning I was unable to locate my expensive sunglasses that had been sitting on the kitchenette bench.
I reported this to management when we arrived at our destination as they were away on holidays at the time of our stay, feedback from Melissa became rude and defensive during the course of our conversation and I was told that I couldn't prove that a theft had occurred and I was sarcastically asked if I thought the staff had put my sunglasses down their pants. Totally unprofessional.
A police report has been filed on the matter.
Unfortunately due to the uncooperative attitude I received from management I have no other recourse than to urge people to be wary about staying here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JoB021214
AbacusTeam, Owner at Abacus Motel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hi JoB021214, I would like to apologize for the unsatisfactory stay you had at the Abacus Motel in December 2013. That time of year is most certainly the hottest time of the year in The Outback and with you being 32 weeks pregnant the heat you were feeling would have been intense. Trying to drop a (closed up) rooms temperature from mid 40's down to 22 can sometimes try your patience when it doesn't happen instantly but they do have to work incredibly hard and usually when they have dropped they work well. We also would like to apologize for the sunglass incident. All of the security tapes had been reviewed numerous times by management and we were unable to find fault with any of the staff that had attended your room on the night in question. I am quite sure the Manager would not have reacted the way she did if the incident had been reported in a mature and reasonable manner without accusations being made.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Rooms were clean however there were no teaspoons (only paddle pop sticks) and In fact no cutlery. Not even a saucer. Most motels these days have a microwave, not this one. The coffee mugs weren't matching. They are just little things I know but doesn't make the owners look professional. Other things; we were unable to lock the door (had to seek help from the office) and continued to struggle with it over the 3 days. The shower screen needs to be lowered, it would be approx. 75ml above the floor, hence the bathroom floor became very wet and dangerous, the exhaust fan in the bathroom was very noisy. The toilet seat was not square plus sounded like it was filling up non stop - it did not stop. We had heard so much about this motel and even when I lived in Isa it was only positive reports. I know the people who have it now have only been there since September but having worked in Motels it was a bit sloppy. I only have positive things to say about Melissa who I had spoken to a couple of time leading up to the visit....she is great. By the way all of the above has been reported to the owners so hopefully when you get to stay there it will be A OK,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenny O
AbacusTeam, Owner at Abacus Motel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hi Jenny O, Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We would like to say that we were trialing the use of paddle pop sticks in place of spoons in the rooms as we were having to replace the spoons constantly due to them going "missing". Unfortunately we do have only one semi-contained unit at the motel but all the other rooms do have an electric jug. I positive the managers are more than happy to help with any requests they receive from guests who require items that are not usually in their rooms. Thank you for bringing the other issues to our attention and they either have, or will be addressed as soon as possible.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed overnight after attending a wedding function held at the Motel.
What can I say! Everything was perfect! Food was awesome, atmosphere welcoming & very friendly, rooms well appointed, clean and very comfortable. Surprisingly no noise from the adjacent highway. We felt very comfortable and relaxed here and will definitely recommend A++

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandi J
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am a solo, female travelling around Aus and I found Shane and Melissa to be fantastic hosts, going that extra mile by dropping me into town and letting me hang out after I had checked out and was waiting for my bus. I would definitely stay here again. Meals in the restaurant were delicious and whilst there were a few miners staying here also, they didn't bother me and stopped yacking about 10.30pm at night so I was able to get a decent night's sleep in a comfy and clean room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Canberra ACT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay in Mt Isa and after searching through the recent trip advisor reviews we picked the Abacus Motel as our place to stay.

The motel has relatively new owners so you can now safely discard the previous bad reviews, as Shane and Melissa (who arrived in September 2013) have made what was obviously a poorly run establishment into a warm and family friendly place to stay.

The motel is 3.5 kilometres from the main shopping centre so transport is required as there is no local bus service. Expect to pay around $15 or more if you have to get a taxi into the town.

Its located on the highway and there is a little road noise but certainly not enough to disturb you, so that should not put you off. Its oldish but no more than most of the other places in Mt Isa. Its doesn't have a great deal of street appeal as you drive in as Mt Isa is a dry and dusty town and the area surrounding the motel reflects this because water is precious.

We had booked a family room but it was double booked on our first night and we were given two adjoining rooms for $10 more and a promise we could have the family room the following night. However, the two room set up was comfortable and ideal for us as we had a 15 month old toddler with us.

Melissa set us up with a toaster and crockery and knives and forks, spoons etc so we could do our own breakfast in the room. There is a restaurant serving breakfast and it can also be delived to your room if you wish. The restaurant has a decent menu with prices hovering around the $30 mark for mains for dining at night.

The place has a small pool to cool off in and it was clean. Its probably more popular with kids than adults because of its size.

The split system air con in the room was excellent with no rattles or other noises. The is also a ceiling fan. There is a small fridge and a jug in the room with free tea and coffee.There are extra blankets and pillows in the room if needed and you can park right outside you room with undercover parking.

There is a large tv in the room with Austar channels, so you can usually find something reasonable to watch. An iron and ironing board is also supplied which is handy.

There is a guest laundry and a large washing machine which takes five one dollar coins. The dryer costs $4 and will handle a big load.

Our room had a queen sized bed and a single bed. Both were comfortable and not hard or lumpy like some places we have stayed at before.

Mt Isa is a largish mining town of 20 thousand plus population and incomes are generally pretty high so this is reflected in the price you have to pay for accommodation and food etc. What you may pay $ 90 for in similar motels in the better populated areas of Australia will cost you $150 plus in Mt Isa. So there are no bargains as such.

We paid $175 a night for our two rooms. if we had chosen the family room with a kitchenette, a queen sized bed and 3 bunk beds it would have cost us $165. Expect to pay more in many other places that are a bit closer to the shopping centre.

On the basis that this place is probably around the 3 star mark I would give it an overall rating of 7/10. Its clean and I would stay again.The new owners are helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road- We had rooms 11 and 12 which were fine. Room 1 is closest to the...