“A Wow factor- Friendly and Clean” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abacus Motel

Abacus Motel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Mount Isa
Brisbane, Australia
“A Wow factor- Friendly and Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed in Mount Isa 3 years ago whilst travelling form Townsville to Darwin with a Defence Force move. We had a terrible experience with our car getting broken into (not at this motel) so decided to stay on the outskirts of town a bit more.
We chose the Abacus Motel and were extremely glad we did. We read reviews on this motel about the previous owners (not favourable) but the later reviews indicated the new owners were making changes.
We were very happy with the accommodation and could not fault the service. Shane and Melissa were extremely helpful, down to earth and bent over backwards to help us. We were towing a camper trailer and even had that parked next to our room,
The beds were comfortable and the room air con was not noisy or rattling like other stops we had.
The temperature in Mount Isa was 46 degrees when we were there and the air con pumped away all night. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean and tidy. We asked for some bowls and cutlery for the kids to have some weetbix for breakfast and they were very happy to give them to us. They were setting up for a function that night so we didn't eat in the restaurant and went out into town for dinner.
The family room was booked out so they gave us two rooms for the same price as the family room.
If I had to pick one negative it would be that the pool was green and the kids couldn't swim but in fairness the owners had been waiting for a pool expert to come out and had been waiting over two weeks so this was beyond their control. Our kids 11 year old daughter and 8 year old twin boys just amused themselves playing handball in the carports while Mum sat in the air con room.
We would definitely stay at Abacus Motel again and would recommend this motel to travellers passing through the Isa.
We look forward to stating there again and seeing what changes have happened as Shane was telling us all the plans he has for the place. Keep up the great work guys.
Yvonne from Brisbane

Room Tip: We were in the rooms on the side and we couldn't hear the road noise. Rooms were large and spaci...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Swingclan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Fabulous Motel, clean, functional rooms with great air conditioning. Meals were a standout as was the friendly, bend over backwards service.
We were attending a wedding and the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating.
I would have no hesitations recommending the Abacus Motel to travellers with realistic expectations wanting a first rate MOTEL experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melanie H
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

As a recent business trip found us in Mt Isa unexpectedly, the nearest motel was sought out and the Abacus suited our needs.

Great restaurant and good clean rooms of huge size as well as friendly caretaking staff were a positive aspect. The bed was an absolute pleasure after the hell night prior sleeping on a besser block style bed in the 'Towers.

The negatives were as previous guests have raised, paddlepop sticks to stir coffee with but worst was the UHT milk left in the fridge. When 'poured' into our coffee, it had the consistency of cream and after a quick check, we found the only UHT milk was rotten and smelt awful.

Good service and friendly staff make it a sure stop again, but the add-ons require a little polishing and it will make that bit more difference.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bob S
Darwin, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family and I stayed at the Abacus while passing through Mt Isa on our travels, the air conditioners were unable to keep up with cooling the room resulting in almost 40 degree temperature inside.
Due to asking staff to attend our room to address this problem and also room service being delivered we had staff in our room approximately 5 or 6 times that evening, also because of the heat in the room and being 32 weeks pregnant I was in the bedroom trying to cool down with a bucket of ice for the most part while staff were in attendance.
Upon our departure in the early hours of the next morning I was unable to locate my expensive sunglasses that had been sitting on the kitchenette bench.
I reported this to management when we arrived at our destination as they were away on holidays at the time of our stay, feedback from Melissa became rude and defensive during the course of our conversation and I was told that I couldn't prove that a theft had occurred and I was sarcastically asked if I thought the staff had put my sunglasses down their pants. Totally unprofessional.
A police report has been filed on the matter.
Unfortunately due to the uncooperative attitude I received from management I have no other recourse than to urge people to be wary about staying here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JoB021214
AbacusTeam, Owner at Abacus Motel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hi JoB021214, I would like to apologize for the unsatisfactory stay you had at the Abacus Motel in December 2013. That time of year is most certainly the hottest time of the year in The Outback and with you being 32 weeks pregnant the heat you were feeling would have been intense. Trying to drop a (closed up) rooms temperature from mid 40's down to 22 can sometimes try your patience when it doesn't happen instantly but they do have to work incredibly hard and usually when they have dropped they work well. We also would like to apologize for the sunglass incident. All of the security tapes had been reviewed numerous times by management and we were unable to find fault with any of the staff that had attended your room on the night in question. I am quite sure the Manager would not have reacted the way she did if the incident had been reported in a mature and reasonable manner without accusations being made.
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Rooms were clean however there were no teaspoons (only paddle pop sticks) and In fact no cutlery. Not even a saucer. Most motels these days have a microwave, not this one. The coffee mugs weren't matching. They are just little things I know but doesn't make the owners look professional. Other things; we were unable to lock the door (had to seek help from the office) and continued to struggle with it over the 3 days. The shower screen needs to be lowered, it would be approx. 75ml above the floor, hence the bathroom floor became very wet and dangerous, the exhaust fan in the bathroom was very noisy. The toilet seat was not square plus sounded like it was filling up non stop - it did not stop. We had heard so much about this motel and even when I lived in Isa it was only positive reports. I know the people who have it now have only been there since September but having worked in Motels it was a bit sloppy. I only have positive things to say about Melissa who I had spoken to a couple of time leading up to the visit....she is great. By the way all of the above has been reported to the owners so hopefully when you get to stay there it will be A OK,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenny O
AbacusTeam, Owner at Abacus Motel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hi Jenny O, Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We would like to say that we were trialing the use of paddle pop sticks in place of spoons in the rooms as we were having to replace the spoons constantly due to them going "missing". Unfortunately we do have only one semi-contained unit at the motel but all the other rooms do have an electric jug. I positive the managers are more than happy to help with any requests they receive from guests who require items that are not usually in their rooms. Thank you for bringing the other issues to our attention and they either have, or will be addressed as soon as possible.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed overnight after attending a wedding function held at the Motel.
What can I say! Everything was perfect! Food was awesome, atmosphere welcoming & very friendly, rooms well appointed, clean and very comfortable. Surprisingly no noise from the adjacent highway. We felt very comfortable and relaxed here and will definitely recommend A++

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandi J
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am a solo, female travelling around Aus and I found Shane and Melissa to be fantastic hosts, going that extra mile by dropping me into town and letting me hang out after I had checked out and was waiting for my bus. I would definitely stay here again. Meals in the restaurant were delicious and whilst there were a few miners staying here also, they didn't bother me and stopped yacking about 10.30pm at night so I was able to get a decent night's sleep in a comfy and clean room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo