“Needs new carpets and lower prices-Very ordinary.”

Riviera on Ruthven Motel
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Toowoomba
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stay at a lot of basic motels as well as high end hotels and always adjust my expectations according to price. This motel is overpriced for what it offers. My room definitely needed new carpet and a new tv. It is very outdated and for the prices it charges, they should provide a better room. I would not recommend this motel, unless you are a fan of 70's décor and dirty carpet.

Room Tip: If you must stay, make sure you pay less than $100 per night!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Fussyandhonest

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was happy to stay at the Riviera on Ruthven for a week and received great service from the owners. Clean room, comfy bed and good TV. The mini bar was helpful for entertaining customers and great prices. The only place I have stayed that washes your windscreen each morning. The breakfast was served on time with the toast still warm a first for me. Even rang me to let me know that I left a jacket behind. Thanks for the experience will stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stephen F
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I'm still feeling ill from my stay. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and am very tolerant. First my husband was stung with a huge surcharge because his company had only booked for him. He requested a microwave to heat our diet food and was refused point blank. The room absolutely stank of cheap fragrance from carpet cleaning - I was immediately nauseous. Far too much had been used. Any other place would have apologised and transferred us speedily. The smiling clerk told me I WAS WRONG, refused to even come and smell the room and refused a refund. The room's windows were purposely jammed to open only 10 cm, so airing properly was impossible. The fridge was stuffed with so much junk I had to empty it to get our stuff in. I would not have minded the shabby decor, small shower (hubby is a big man) and no power point at the bed for hubby's CPAP if they looked after their guests and did not rip them off and make them sick. These guys suck - the fee is too much for the old facility and they don't care enough about their guests to solve their problems. The clerk struck me as arrogant, ignorant and insincere with no real customer service skills.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank Chloe S
Reviewed 12 May 2013

It started out ok, they quoted us one price on the phone then when we got there they said we could have a back room away from the road for extra, they were not busy so they could have just said same price. The breakfast menu was limited and did not have things one
It we eat so we went and got some to make up ourselves. When I asked to borrow a bowl and knife from the desk she got cranky and mentioned how they supply breakfast and that was her idea of self contained accommodation. There was a toaster in the room bit no plate or knife.
News flash lady, self contained is exactly that, look it up, it means you have facilities to preparing food and shower without sharing. Wouldn't stay here again. Although if you are happy to get their food go ahead I have stayed in worse.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lyn A
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I actually am flabbergasted that I need to write a review. I normally would never take the time but this lady has to learn. I am a regular motel stayer with work and have stayed here before. You would think as a regular customer politeness may be in order. We required 2 or 3 nights accommodation for a few guys working in the area and as Riviera didn't have motel rooms to accomodate us she offered us a discounted rate of $250 to stay at the riviera's 'house' which at her so-called "regular price of $450 per night" you would think it would be akin to 'The Ritz'-apparently not. Dump of a house, no foxtel, no hot water and there was even three redback spiders living in parts of the house which had been there for quite a while based on the web sizes. Anyone can be dissatisfied with accommodation and most owners just apologize and say this doesn't usually happen and try to get you back again - not this lady. When I went to pay for the first night accommodation and tried to cancel the second night, she said I have to pay for the second night anyway whether I stay there or not because she gave me "such a discount". When I confronted her about this, she said she already had my credit card number from my previous stay and unbelievably, standing in front of me entered my credit card details into her machine and took out two nights accommodation and said if I want to stay the second night fine, but its paid for anyway!! Don't stay at this place (I left the redbacks there for her to clean but don't hold your breath).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank JasonA747
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I'm a sales rep who stays in motels across the country and this is one of my favourites. Nice modern rooms with clean and tidy bathrooms, comfortable beds and TVs with full foxtel. The room service is also good, with tasty home cooked meals for both breakfast and dinner.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Very well priced and extremely friendly staff. Had to sleep 6 people so the extra fridge was very handy. The final touch was leaving in the morning and finding a sweet note and freshly cleaned windscreen. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends