“Not terrible but not worth it.”

Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel
Toowoomba, Australia
“Not terrible but not worth it.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I stayed whilst visiting family. We were exceptionally busy so I looked up the office hours and found that the office was manned until 9pm, which was a relief. At 5:20pm we arrived at the hotel to find a note on the door stating the office had closed early (5pm) due to the public holiday. This is fair enough, but it would have been great to be advised of this prior, as I would have gotten there prior to closing. I then had to stand in the car park and wait on hold multiple times to receive assistance to retrieve our key from the safe.
The car park is dangerously narrow, and a few of the other guests were having difficulty navigating the area without hitting the walls. It took quite some time to get everything sorted just to get in to the building, it was exceptionally frustrating.
When we entered the room the smell was overwhelming, a damp musty mould smell. Within minutes my sinus felt like they were on fire. We had a sliding door that went out to the balcony, but the door did not lock (broken) so I couldn't leave any valuables in the room. (If someone wanted too, they could have easily climbed over).
Our room was adjacent to the pool and spa area. I recommend if you're wanting peace and quiet after a long trip that you request a room away from this area! This was the least sound-proof room I've ever stayed in. You could hear every word from the people in the pool, not to mention in the surrounding rooms. The pool area does having a closing time, but this rule was not followed so we were forced to listen to people chatting whilst trying to relax in bed. We could also hear people walking above us, and the opening and closing of doors across the hall, all night.

The room was clean but exceptionally small, a lot smaller than rooms I've had at much cheaper establishments. Location is great. Right in the middle of town within walking distance to many cafés and shops. But overall, it was not worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the pool area to avoid a LOT of noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert6210, Manager at Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I thank you for your comments but we did not receive any phone calls and there is nothing logged in our reception diary of the issues. Certainly if we would have known about them we would have assisted. We have very many happy guests at this complex with a high level of repeat business. I wish you all the best for your future travels and I do hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel in a package deal with the empire theatre (Phantom of the Opera). We asked for a 2 bedroom as we have one boy and one girl teen. When we arrived there were queen beds in both rooms. We called down and there were not rooms available with 3 beds. They immediately upgraded us to a very large 3 bedroom. We can't complain much about the hotel. Great customer service and centrally located. Parking is under the hotel. It is walking distance from Queens park and the shops and restaurants. The rooms were not spotless but they weren't dirty either. I thought it was strange for a hotel that charged 300-400 to have permanent soap containers hanging in the bathrooms. I know that it is probably more eco friendly and cheaper for the hotel, but if I am "wasting" that much money on a room then I prefer to "waste" a bit on the soap as well. My family has stayed in 3-4 star hotels all over the world and we don't pay this much even when we are in Sydney or New York. Unless, we got a great deal on a room, we would not stay here again. There are other great options in Toowoomba for a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review but as the booking came through another source the mix up with the booking was out of our control. I am glad we were able to upgrade you and therefore looking after you. In regards to price this subject to availability in the area and certainly with the upgrade it turned out to be quite a good rate. We are looking at upgrading the soap system but unfortunately at this stage a date has not been set for changeover. We do have many people though telling us that the liquids contained in them are very good and they are very satisfied. I do look forward to your return as I am sure you will agree on your next stay that Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel is the best place to stay while visiting the city.
All the best for your future travels.
Arundel, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I spent one night there last year and left it the day after with below experiences;
1. swimming pool was closed.
2.My wife arrived before me and asked them to help her to park her car and they refused to help her.
3.Shampoo container fixed on the shower's wall was not working and they said that they can't do anything.
4.One of the lights was not working and they said we have to wait till day after then they can fix it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
I hope this response finds you well. I have noted the date of your stay and your departure date and your stay was only for 1 night anyway. I also see that it was some time ago that you had stayed but only supplied a response now. The pool was closed as it was after hours when you arrived and we not provide a valet service and nor do we advertise them. The shampoo containers as per the reception log were fixed and the issue with the light was because you did not have your power card inserted correctly. I do hope you return to this great complex and I wish you all the best for your future travels.

Travellers are raving about these Toowoomba hotels

Sunshine coast
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stay one night in a 3 bedroom apartment. The staff are friendly, the rooms are spotless. good secure parking.
Its a bit on the high side price wise but it is new and centrally located so I guess its justified

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
I thank you for your great response and I hope your Easter went well. We certainly try our best to make everyones stay a confortable one and thank you for comments about the great staff. They certainly do a great job and both my wife and I are very proud of them all. We even get asked by some of out guests if they can work in this complex as everyone has a smile and they are happy. The price of the accomodation is due to demand and like most things this is how prices are adjusted.
I wish you all the best for your future travels and we hope to see you again and once again thank you for your kind response.
Margate, Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We spent the night at Central Plaza recently on a weekend getaway. I've also stayed here on a couple of previous occasions for business trips. Our studio apartment was clean and comfortable and quite well equipped for the price, with kitchen and cooking facilities, a coffee maker and free wifi. The studios are a dual-key setup; that is, there's a lockable lobby shared between two apartments. Not a real problem but can be tricky getting your luggage in and out. Plenty of food offerings within walking distance.

Room Tip: Travel light or get one of the larger apartments.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert6210, Manager at Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your great review. Like many others they enjoy there stay at Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel. I do look forward to your return and I hope you had a great Easter.
Queensland
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We recently stayed in a three bedroom penthouse apartment which cost $450++ a night. What a ripoff!

While the room was very spacious, the decor was very tired with most of the furniture stained and scratched and the carpet quite worn. At this price I would expect some level of comfort. The double beds were tiny. A king or queen bed should really be standard at this price. Also, the master bedroom lacked a tv, another standard item at this price range.

The unit was clean, the underground parking is convenient and the location is central.

Next time we're in Toowoomba, I think we'd stay in a family room at one of the other motels near Queens Park. We'd pay only half the price we paid here and receive the same level of facilities and comfort.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay. The prices are set as per demand which are very high for these Penthouses. We get many people providing great comments on them about how large, clean and spacious they are and it is great to find an apartment this large in Toowoomba. We hope to see you again soon and all the best for your future travels.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Lovely hotel with excellent three bedroom apartment. Very clean and comfortable but very, very noisy at night from pubs on either side of hotel. Air conditioning in apartment was very loud. There was hardly any kitchen equipment so impossible to cook much more than bacon and eggs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Robert6210, Manager at Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2014
Sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay but we have no record of this issue. It is always best to give us a call and we would have assisted where we could. Many guests enjoy our apartments, amenities and level of service.
I hope you come back again and I wish you all the best for your future travels.