“disappointing”

and up
Dolphin Cruise from Adelaide with Optional Dolphin Swim
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Glenelg
More attraction details
Owner description: Temptation is a 58 foot sailing catamaran which has been doing wild dolphin swims daily since 2001, in this time we have never been out on a dolphin cruise and not seen dolphins. In fact we will give you all your money back if dolphins are not seen on this cruise. Dolphins always come over to Temptation and you can stand or lay above them on our front nets. If you wish to swim, no worries (but book early to avoid disappointment) this is a totally wild experience, no feeding, no touching just viewing from within the water. Because these are wild dolphins we have strict rules to abide by (both for the safety of the swimmers and the dolphins) and sometimes it can be rushed to get the swimmers in the water and sometimes the crew do need to yell so that the swimmers know which way to look under water. If you book in for a swim and on the day change your mind, no problems we can refund the difference (direct bookings only), especially for young children who decide they don't want to swim, that way they don't need to feel forced to go into the water. Remember you will always see more dolphins from on board, but seeing wild dolphins underwater is just amazing.
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I went on this trip in late Feb. We were out about 3 1/2 hrs, but there was no refreshments available onboard, even tho I saw cartons of bottled water being loaded before we left.
When I rang to make a booking, I asked if prescription goggles were available. No...too hard to do..was the answer. There was nowhere to hire them! I have snorkelled twice in Queensland & hiring them was easy! I only saw 1 dolphin very far away after being in & out of the water at least 3 times. Most people gave up by the third time rushing into the water & out again.
They showed a dvd of pics which we could buy, but I wasn't on any of the pics....maybe because I'm old??!! I felt the crew could have been more friendly.....felt like I was back at school with directions being yelled at us. Quite stressful having to rush into & out of the water. Was told no refunds for not seeing dolphins once you have got into the water. Would not recommend.

1 Thank Beverley L
Stephen W, Manager at Temptation Sailing, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
HI Beverley, thank you for your feedback. I'm not sure what you mean by "no refreshments" as we have bottled water and can drinks available for sale on all our cruises. We also have a 10lt container of water and cups, for the swimmers when they come out of the water. If you mean hot drinks, then no we dont have these, this is due to insurance reasons.
The only place I know where you could hire prescription goggles in Australia, would be Queensland, where they have huge volumes of passengers - there are too many magnification variations for us to carry these, sorry.
In late Feb/March we have experienced hotter than average sea temperatures creating algae blooms, giving us around 2m visibility compared to 10m usually at that time of year.
I do understand what you are saying with the rushing for swimmers to get into the water and out, but this is so the swimmers can get the maximum time with the dolphins, unfortunately we can not control the time it takes for dolphins to come over the boat, sometimes they are slow and sometimes they swim as fast as they can to get to us – and we don’t like to keep swimmers in the water if we have not spotted dolphins
I'm sorry you were not on the DVD, this was not intentional as usually everyone on board has their photo taken, just a a mistake of the photographer on the day.

Leicester, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“A bit of a let down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Swimming with dolphins is not the best description of this trip. Holding onto a rope and being dragged behind a boat, with the possibility of catching a glimpse of a dolphin, would be more accurate.

There were lots of them around but in all honesty you get a better view from the deck, it's very difficult to see much when in the water.

I just didn't think it was worth the money and the whole experience was a bit of a let down. There was a large group of us on board and most gave up after being in and out of the water a couple of times and just sat on the deck.

2 Thank crushertim
thank you for your feedback.
sorry you did not enjoy your trip and to be honest I should be happy with 2 stars, as most of Feb and March this year we have experienced hotter than average sea temperatures creating algae blooms, giving us around 2m visibility in the water, compared to 10m usually at that time of year.
Bristol, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dolphins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We booked the morning cruise - glorious weather, smooth seas and around 5 pods of dolphins. It was amazing. We didn't go in the water but had a perfect view of all the dolphins from the catamaran. Knowledgeable crew. Would highly recommend this trip :)

1 Thank GillyPepper
Hi Gilly,
Thank you for your feedback and glad you enjoyed your dolphin cruise.
Munich, Germany
“...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

The trip was fun and the crew friendly. If you want to swim with dolphins i would try it somewhere else because the water isn't very clear. I was able to see one under water but i got lucky a view of the guest on the boat didn't see any dolphins in the water. If I'm in this neighborhood again I would book just the watching trip and not the swimming because for taking pictures and watching them this is a nice trip. ( But maybe I just had bad luck in the water)

Visited February 2013
HI Yari and thank you for your feedback.
Water clarity changes depending on the time of year. This year during Feb and March we experienced hotter than average sea temperatures creating algae blooms giving us as little as 2m visibility, compared to the usual 10m at that time of year.
In the cooler months the visibility can be up to 30m.
adel
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“TEMPTATION SAILING”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I did this attraction on a very hot morning with the forecast to be 39 degrees or more in Jan 2013. Of course it was difficult to want to wear a figure hugging wetsuit on a day like this, but this is done for safety as the wetsuit acts as a floatation device. Swimming with the dolphins on the back of the boat by holding onto the rope is not as easy as it sounds, unless I am more clumsy than others. I found holding onto the rope difficult as with everyone pulling on it at the same time, dragged the rope up to one or two metres below the surface of the water, whilst meanwhile my body kept floating up like a cork bobbing in the water, with the rope underneath in the water, plus wearing the snorkel and mask and breathing through mouth was not comfortable. I only got in the water once because of the difficulties even though the water was very calm this day. It was actually better to view the dolphins from the catamaran on this particular day. We came across about 6 or 7 pods but quite often people would be called into the water, only to have them move on to another area. Sometimes the dolphins would swim right alongside the boat, and I noticed they also swam upside down.

There was little commentary about the dolphins, other sealife in the area, or the region as a whole. I noticed we went past geologically significant areas such as Hallett Cove, with nothing mentioned, so I see missed opportunities with promoting South Australia, as there were many persons from both interstate and overseas on board. We were asked if we had any questions about the dolphins, but it would still be better to hear about them anyway.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank lindatAdel
Stephen W, Manager at Temptation Sailing, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is very important to us and we will make sure to include more information about the surrounding areas and other marine life in our commentary.