“Tired and Jaded”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Greater Melbourne, Australia
“Tired and Jaded”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We first visited this hotel in about 1998 and I felt then that it needed upgrading. This occasion I felt exactly the same - there was no sign that anything had been done to our room. The room was clean, the beds pretty comfortable and the view over the ocean was stunning. In fairness, that is why we booked. However, the room itself lacked anything approaching a wow factor and the bathroom was very shabby - it's gone beyond needing a makeover - it needs an entirely new bathroom. And how about putting a spare loo roll in the bathroom cupboard? The balcony was a great place to sit, but there were no chairs so the only way to sit out there was by lifting a chair out from the room. (And the arms of the chairs were shiny and greasy. Yuk).Then no table, nowhere to put down a glass! I would expect a jug of cold water in the fridge. That didn't exist. And insufficient coffee and tea sachets - despite being replenished each day, there was simply not enough in the first place. The room key (card) was a complete pain - worked fine in the lift but not in the door, nine times out of ten. Fortunately (?) I was usually on my own, so someone was in the room to open the door but despite reporting it to reception, and them recoding it, nothing changed. My daughter is in hospitality and has actually stayed in the very same room a year or so ago when they had the same trouble....and reported it.... She tells me it probably needs a new battery in the lock. Despite them promising to send someone to investigate my concerns, nobody came. Since my last visit the restaurant has changed identity - now they have some bizarre system of picking 'small bites' or 'large bites.' When I am paying this kind of money and giving the restaurant even more of my money, I expect a decent a la carte menu from a restaurant in a supposedly top class hotel. The food was ok, the combinations a little bizarre. (And the chicken kiev wasn't, it was a garlic infused chicken leg, served with kamut.) I also do not expect to find the only choice of breakfast egg was scrambled, except that it was reconstitued egg - maybe they should have a taste of it and try to find anything resembling the flavour of egg. I am sure had I asked, they would have cooked me a fried egg to order, but we were sitting down to eat as a family. Not acceptable in a first class establishment. I have noticed that much of the feedback about the Stamford Grand report on the tired and jaded aspect, and the need for a makeover. Pretty much every time, management's reply has been for some time that they are in the middle of a makeover and all will be wonderful. The makeover seems a very long time coming for some of the rooms, and given the price charged, I think the excuse is also becoming a little tired and jaded. Would I go again? Probably, but firstly I'd check out the Oaks Plaza's ocean view rooms to see how they compared.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors overlooking the ocean, which are likely to be quieter - there is often quite lo...
1 Thank daydreamer49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Daylesford, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed for a few days on my latest trip to South Australia. This is a fine hotel that has aged gracefully. Set in one of the best locations, minutes from the airport, on the beachfront with restaurants at the doorstep. The hotel is a little dated, but clean and comfortable at a very reasonable rate. If you want ultra modern razza-ma-dazzle stay somewhere else! This place exudes a bygone era with excellent service and friendly, attentive staff. I recommend you self park if you have a car. This is very conveniently located right next to the hotel. I have stayed here before and will come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the higher floors and pay the extra for the sea view, it is well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear MelbourneArchitect

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We pride ourselves on our stunning, absolute beachfront position and I am delighted to learn that your enjoyed the hotel location.

Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have stayed many times over last 15 years. Location next to the beach is great for early morning exercise or ocean views if you have the right room.
While for business, the distance from the CBD may be inconvenient if you have tight schedules, if you can afford the 20-30 minute taxi or tram ride to the city then you'll reap the rewards of the relaxing feel of the beachside area.
Facilities are good, service is consistently helpful and friendly. Some of the rooms are showing a little worse for wear though.
For pleasure, e.g. a weekend getaway to Adelaide, it's a very pleasant place to retreat to at night.

Room Tip: Beach side room with balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Riddoch88

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love staying at the Stamford Grand, becuase it's one of the best locations in Adelaide. A west facing room will earn you a beautiful sunset or you can enjoy it from the Glenelg Jetty which is right out the front. Check out the art gallery in the foyer where you can pick up some local artists canvas peices or some furniture.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear CassandPaul

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel, and again we were not disappointed.

As previous posts have indicated, the hotel is in an excellent location, with most things (restaurants/shops/etc.) within walking distance.

Check in/check out was a breeze, with all staff most pleasant and willing to help on any issue.

We stayed in room 716 (7th floor) which was a deluxe Ocean with balcony. The room was clean, décor fresh and tastefully done. Room size - good, with the balcony a real bonus.

As the view from this room was one of the best in town, we decided on room service for dinner. We thought the room service prices were on a par with other hotels. Our food arrived at the said time, was well presented, and still hot, so no complaints there at all.

So in a nutshell, a very pleasant stay, at a great hotel. In fact as far as we are concerned, the only place to stay in Glenelg, and so we will be back.

Room Tip: An ocean view is the only way to go - the sun sets are fantastic.
Dear CassandPaul

Horsham, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The Stamford Grand is in an excellent location in Glenelg. There are excellent ocean views or alternatively good views of Adelaide and the the Adelaide Hills. The location of the Stamford Grand leads to the high rating. I was quite impressed with the in house restaurant for both evening meals and breakfast. I enjoyed their excellent sea food buffet that is available on Saturday nights. Service was warm and friendly. However, occasionally it could be difficult to access due to the large work volume when I was visiting. Very impressed with their parking, breakfast and room package.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sandy K

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed on my own in an Ocean View room.

Room: The Room was clean and relatively spacious. My toilet was broken and the bathroom is a bit tired. Overall the rooms are good but not 5 Star

Meals: Room service and mini bar prices are ridiculous. In Glenelg you are surrounded by restaurants walk out the back door turn left and you can eat 5* food with in 50 metres. If you didn't get a "breakfast included" package ask at reception and they will give you a voucher for $20 or again walk out the back door and turn left.

Bar: The bar downstairs is great during the day and for nightlife.

Conclusion: Even if it isn't full 5 star the service and rooms are fine and I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Derekb070

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#15 of 57 in Adelaide
Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!