“Budget hotel very close to Glenelg beach” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantic Tower Motor Inn

Atlantic Tower Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Melbourne, Australia
“Budget hotel very close to Glenelg beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Because this motor inn is circular, the rooms are "wedge-shaped" which makes the furniture arranging difficult.
However, the cost is very reasonable for a property close to all the Glenelg attractions and shops, Our room had a lovely view of the Adelaide Hills but the balcony was too narrow to fit a chair,
There is also a car park right next to the inn.
Breakfast was included in the tariff and the breakfast room has a view of the marina.

However, one of the nights we stayed there was a very noisy room next door. When we complained about it the next morning we were told that everyone on our floor had been effected and that we need to take a note of the after-hours caretaker's number in the event that it happened again. I believe the staff leave around 10 pm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the hills,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Craig L, Manager at Atlantic Tower Motor Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit some feedback. I'm sorry to hear that inconsiderate guests made one of the nights unpleasant for you. The reception office does close at 10pm however there is always a night manager on call to attend to concerns overnight. We wish all of our guests a peaceful stay and encourage any issues to be reported straight away so they can be resolved. I trust that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and we would love to welcome you back next time you’re in Adelaide.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at this place for 4 nights in June 2014. I was a carer for a man with a disability and we stayed in separate rooms on the 10th floor. My room was good and had spectacular views. The man with a disability had a hospital bed put in the room and the bathroom was great for his needs as the glass shower door folded back. We had a free breakfast every morning on the 9th floor with spectacular views again. The owner of the motor inn was helpful and was disability aware which was great as she understood our needs. I would stay again here and Coles was nearby as well. Parking was free next door and it was central to everywhere that we needed to go. Glenelg is a lovely place to visit.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor and the views were great. It was a nice clean room with everything that...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the lovely review Jud. It was a pleasure looking after you. We look forward to having you stay again sometime.
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night. Room was clean and comfortable. Pretty well ticked all the boxes. Free & convenient car park, Free internet (80mb), continental breakfast supplied with $10 extra for a cooked breakfast. Lastly the views (we were on 9th floor) and locations finish off this great package. The price I thought was pretty good value.

Staff were also friendly and helpful, would have no problem staying again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the glowing review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. We believe it’s the little things that can make a good stay a great stay. That’s why we like to keep our extras either free or reasonably priced. After all, no-one likes to be lured in by a great room rate, only to pay an arm and a leg for everything else once they walk through the door!
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Externally ATMI looks unappealing and drab. The foyer is dated as is the lift interior and its circular corridors. We had booked 3 nights in the last available room which happened to be the Disabled Access room on the 9th flr. What a joy it was as we entered the room. The large balcony sliding doors let in the sun and a great view of Glenelg and the marina. The room came with a king size bed, a large TV and an excellent bathroom that was roomy and super clean. It had an overhead shower fixture as well as a hand shower and sufficient water pressure which allowed both to be used at the same time making for an excellent shower unit.
For anybody visiting Adelaide I would recommend staying in Glenelg and travelling in by tram which tram-stop is but a short walk from the hotel. Its roughly a 20-30 min journey and if you are a Senior travelling on the tram between 0930 and 1500 is free as well as after 1900.
You will definitely appreciate Glenelg, a seaside resort town, after you are done with Adelaide city. The sunsets were magnificent and the beach is there for the children as well as for the adults. There are also many great places to sit down and have a fairly decent meal.
The hotel reception is friendly as well as helpful. There is free parking, 80Mb of free internet per day (more than enough for normal use - should you need more a fee is payable) and free Foxtel. Complimentary continental breakfast is also thrown in. Just around the corner is a Coles should you need more.
We are glad we did not end up in a city hotel and would happily return to stay at the ATMI if ever we revisit Adelaide.
(I have rated it a 4**** because of its current overall external appearance).

Room Tip: Caveat: I do not know if our 'Tower Room with disabled friendly access' located on the 9th F...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RBroc8
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. I have to agree that Glenelg is the place to stay when visiting Adelaide; it’s considerably nicer than staying in the city.

It's always great to receive positive feedback on our rooms; we have put a lot of time and thought into making them something special, and we will continue to upgrade and improve them as time goes on. The lift, foyer and corridors are indeed due for a face lift, and this should be happening in the very near future. Unfortunately we don’t own the building, so there’s not a lot we can do about the exterior façade, but rest assured we will always continue to develop every other area!
Berri, South Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed for one night then the following week for two nights. The first night was really uncomfortable as I found blood stains on the top sheet. I had already booked the next weeks days. I reported it on check out rather than at the time. This was because I was feeling really unwell and just had to sleep. So I slept on the other side. Not good. The person on reception that day did apologise and wrote something down. Here was me thinking that management might send an apology or offer a small discount next time. So I stayed again but no word at all. The rooms are large enough and the glass door area helps bring in the light. The views are the best. Very surprising that the large balconies do not offer any protection from anything going over the edge. Standard rooms obviously need refurbishment. Car parking is free in a small park next door which is really handy as some hotels charge a lot for parking. Nice bakery next door. So there are good points and bad points. Also, it is a great location. Walking distance to Jetty road and the sea.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to submit some feedback. I’m terribly sorry to hear about your experience with the sheets, I will investigate the matter further. Next time you’re in Adelaide please contact me personally and I promise I’ll look after you.
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had to fly back to Adelaide at short notice for a funeral, and I needed to find accommodation in a hurry. I'll be honest; I hadn't set my standards very high, and I hadn't even done my research.

But I got lucky, and I'm really grateful to the staff at Atlantic Tower Motor Inn.

We were provided with a refurbished room on the 9th floor, and it was great. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable (and new) and the shower had great water pressure and plenty of hot water. Our room was neither city nor water-facing; we had views out to the side. It was quiet and comfy. (Room 96; I recommend it.)

The staff member who greeted us Friday night (and again on Saturday morning) was friendly and helpful. When we got back late Friday and found the carpark was full, he arranged for us to park off to the side of the entrance area - which you might think was a little thing but he was so nice about it and he didn't have any idea how much that bit of 'above and beyond' meant to someone in a fairly fragile emotional state.

The hot breakfast (we upgraded from the free brekkie) was filling and tasty. It was well worth the $10.

The only thing I would have wished for and didn't have was espresso coffee as an option at breakfast. As far as we could see, it looked like instant or nothing, but to be honest I didn't think to ask if there was an alternative.

We're very grateful to the staff, who were all pleasant (especially the Friday 9th May/Sat 10th male receptionist whose name I totally neglected to catch on about 4 separate occasions...), and we really enjoyed the quiet comfort of the refurbished room.

Judging by the photos in the elevator - which show the original rooms - I can see why some people are rating it as dated and shabby, but if you are able to get one of the refurbished ones I think you'd be pretty pleased. The new rooms are exceptionally good for the money.

(The only thing I'm actually annoyed about is that Trip Advisor is forcing me to choose a travel category for this review. It was a funeral, so that little love heart 'couples' thing is just gross, but none of the other categories work either. Geeze, TA, get your act together.)

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Room 96 is a good one - doesn't have any special views but the bed...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Craig L, Manager at Atlantic Tower Motor Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Daria and Shaun, thank you for your wonderful review. It was myself who served you and it was an absolute pleasure. Hopefully we can welcome you back again one day under happier circumstances.
Renmark, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very outdated and shabby building with no attempt at making the foyer appealing. Even the recently renovated room on the first floor that I had was basic and the view was of another hotel. Car parking was included in the tariff and easily accessible to accommodated the large SUV I have whereas other hotels in the general vicinity charge excessively and space is very limited. The continental Breakfast self-served in a small and dirty dining area is best avoided as there are numerous cafés close by and an excellent bakery almost next door that has all day full breakfasts. The reception staff were very friendly and obliging and for 1 night the price was alright.

Room Tip: Try a higher floor with a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Craig L, Front Office Manager at Atlantic Tower Motor Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review, I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your interactions with our friendly staff. Sorry to hear you didn't get much of a view, the first floor rooms are cheaper for that exact reason. If you’re here for more than a night, I would definitely recommend the higher floor rooms. Ask for a room overlooking the marina, they have the best views! In regards to the building, unfortunately we don’t own the building itself, so we can only refurbish what’s inside. So far we've kept a strong focus on consistently refurbishing rooms, however the foyer and other public areas are on the list for the coming months.