“Nice Views”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A good spot to have a few drinks overlooking the water. We visited when there was some renovations being carried out. It was extremely noisy so did not stay long. They have completed the reno's now so time to visit again. It is a very grand old building and worth a visit.

1  Thank Suzanne F

Reviewed 22 September 2013

The seafood buffet was amazing, very fresh, lots of variety. The salads were very good too. The prawns and Oysters were my favorite.

1  Thank Katfeet
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Went with other family members and my 95 year old mother for her birthday outing. All I can say is that their claims of providing a traditional High Tea experience were fanciful at best and fraudulent at worst. The limited staff were disinterested and lacking in knowledge. The sandwiches were flavourless, dry and it would have been considered cruelty to feed them to the seagulls outside. The cakes were cheap and commercial in quality and the tea was isn't even properly brewed - just a few teabags in a pot. The only positive comment that could be made was that the scones were of good quality but I had to have jam and cream with them as I was refused the option of butter when I requested it. The glass observatory style windows were probably a little overdue for their annual clean (yes I realise the hotel is on the seafront and thus gets wind off the sea but I can also tell when they haven't been cleaned for a very long time). My previous experience of high tea is that it should be served with fine china so the cafeteria style crockery just served to reinforce the other issues that needed to be addressed. All in all very disappointing!

2  Thank GMA1950
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The worst high tea I have ever had.

Yes, you are in a big hotel and yes, there is a beautiful view of the ocean however the food, tea/coffee, service was disgraceful. I was expecting a modicum of class which was lacking.

We were told the high tea was full table service as we walked in, we waited for 20 mins (while about 5 people walked backwards and forwards avoiding eye contact) then someone just plonked our food in front of us and kept walking .... the sandwiches had fallen apart and the bread was hard (so I have no idea how long they had been sitting around for). The person didn't even break stride to place the food on our table, didn't explain what we were eating and didn't ask if we had any questions (they weren't busy either ... plenty of spare tables and plenty of staff pretending to be busy and doing anything but their job).

I finally grabbed someone and asked for a coffee, when they came back it was cold and straight from a peculator pot ... couldn't drink it. Then I walked over to a couple of staff who were just having a chat and asked for an iced tea .... no response ... but someone heard me as it appeared at my table (much better than the coffee option).

This was a terrible afternoon and we were out of there within the hour .... I would have loved to have had a glass of bubbles and soak in the atmosphere however there was no one to place the order with (despite the amount of staff) so we walked over to the Pier and had a glass there.

Re high teas ... re service, drinks, proper coffee and food ... go to the Lady Daly hotel on Port road (for about 2/3's of the cost) ... I know you aren't in a big hotel with a view of the sea ... however this experience is a waste of your time and money.

The management here should be ashamed

1  Thank whatithink2010
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Last Saturday, my friend and I went to The Promenade for High Tea, as she had not had this experience before. I thought The Grand would be a bit more "upmarket" than other establishments, however we were very disappointed. When we walked in, there was a big group of women laughing very loudly and we found it difficult to talk over it (OK, they were having fun). We were then asked if we wanted tea or coffee, and this was brought around in a glass jug, which turned out to be lukewarm, not hot at all, as it was probably sitting on a warmer for ages. Not even a selection of teas was available. I have been to high tea at other places, and you get proper tea pots and china cups and saucers offered to you. We ordered the deluxe (middle of the road one), and there were more scones than anything else, (with “cream” that tasted like it came out of one of those pressurised cans), nice sandwiches, some curry puffs and mini quiches, which were not hot, and all this on thick white plates. There were no cakes on offer either, which was a disappointment. I think because we were at the 3 pm sitting, (the other being at 12.30-2.30 pm) the scones were not warm, and not as fresh. Also at other places, included in the price is a glass of sparkling wine, which was not on offer at The Promenade. To top it off, when I went to pay with my credit card, they asked for a 1.5% surcharge. Consequently I paid in cash. I would have thought this type of hotel would not be asking for “extra” fees. I have had high tea at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, and this was more like an afternoon tea. They should not class it as a high tea, as it was anything but. All in all, it was very disappointing.

1  Thank 2pence47