“Very ordinary”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Very ordinary”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went as guests to a celebration on a Sunday afternoon. Some of the food was interesting but other platters were like service station food in the country. There were far too many crumbs on the crumbed prawns. The sticks of lamb korma were greasy. The waiters were good. I thought ginger beer was soft drink - it is bought in that section in the super market. I was told it is not a soft drink so it was not on the tab.

• Visited August 2014

“Underwhelming High Tea”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was an invited guest to attend a High Tea and, given the choice had been made for the PLATINUM option,I attended with Grand expectations.
What a disappointment.
We were asked upon being seated if we were ready to be served to which we said YES. We then waited a further 35 minutes until I asked a waiter if it would be much longer. In the meantime tea/coffee/water was served by bored staff members. I had the tea which was elegantly(??) served with tea bag strings hanging out of the pot!!! Apparently, although I paid the PLATINUM price, champagne was extra.
The tray of food when it was served was very unispiring. Pumpkin scones, no jam, no cream and definately no choice. Prawns looking fancy hanging out of a glass but I'm told they were insipid and cold. A cone of salsa was full of oil which was so unexpected it dripped down chins, onto clothes and covered plates rendering them useless for anything else. The 3 tiered serving tray wobbled on the table which had us worried about having it topple over.
I do take some responsibility that, as an invited guest, I didn't pre check the options on offer but really feel a PLATINUM paying customer should be offered a choice of pumkin or regular scones, sandwiches or the other seafood (which I don't eat) option that I was stuck with. Where was the traditional essence of High Tea?? It was in the much cheaper standard option and definately not in the over complicated PLATINUM option.
The very few things I actually ate were very lacklustre and not up to a PLATINUM standard. The only thing sumptuous about the experience was the view. The table collectively left with the same opinion.
I recommend you try any of the other choices on offer in Adelaide as this 5 star establishment does not live up to its expectations.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank accidentalsunshine
Melbourne
“Saturday Night Smorgasbord”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived a little later (probably 8pm) and took the deal of $99 for 2 which is cheap, but I must say that there were great gaps where the food had run out and no replacements were made. The standard of the food was okay, but nothing to write home about.

Visited July 2014
“Dated and tired”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Fantastic location but pricey and looks like a nightclub in the 80s. Probably the best pub in Glenelg but that is not saying much.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank michael p
Adelaide, Australia
“Nothing 'High' about this afternoon tea”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

What a disappointing experience we had here. The high tea consisted of less than luke warm tea poured into those thick old white catering cups that I thought were only used in church kitchens! We had to flag down one of the waiters for a second cup which was the same temperature and splashed all over the saucers. For our third (small) cup we asked for an individual pot of tea and clean cups. We got the pot, big enough for one person, but no cups and saucers returned to us. In the meantime, the 3 tiered cake plate had arrived with soggy sandwiches which had clearly been sitting around waiting to be served for some time. The petite cakes and scones were much better. For over $25 per head this was really a dismal excuse for afternoon tea. The service and the content all need to be seriously updated.

• Visited July 2014