“Fascinating range of art and craft”
Review of 1842 Gallery

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
1842 Gallery
Ranked #36 of 76 things to do in Launceston
More attraction details
Owner description: A very large art and craft co-op gallery, situated in an historic warehouse building that makes beautiful, hand-crafted furniture from native Tasmanian timbers.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Contained in an old building, there are rooms and rooms of paintings, photographs, wood furniture, antiques and other crafts. Worth a visit.

1  Thank Ann T

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We went in here to have a sticky beak at the furniture and art. The most beautiful woodwork I've seen. And the art was beautiful. I am a bit of an arty person so I did appreciate it.
While we were here we saw a board advertising guided walks. After our trip down to Hobart we came back and did a guided tour on Saturday morning. It is $15 pp and takes about an hour. The lady tour guide is very informative and fun. Thoroughly enjoyed the stories of historical Launceston.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Lady was nice to greet us. Gentleman sat behind counter on computer and did not interact with us, not like other "tassie" people as they are very friendly. They offer guided historic walks. A guided tour of their shop would be good. I felt like I wanted to organise things either by era or origin such as 1950's or German. Beautiful items reasonably priced.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

We scoured Tasmania looking for a place to have a beautiful big huon pine table made and this was the only place that even came close to being able to do the job!

They have the most magnificent showroom of fine furniture I've ever seen and all of it is made in their own workshop out the back.

It's has a wonderful ambience and even has art and beautiful art deco antiques. It's the best place I've seen on the island.

1  Thank Kylie M
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I absolutely loved the furniture here and wish I had the room for the beautiful Huon Pine dining table. This gallery is full of amazing hand crafted furniture, Tasmanian art and unique art deco pieces from around the world. They had the best pieces I saw in Tasmania and arranged delivery for me to 'the mainland'.

Entry to the ground floor is free. A gold coin donation is required to go upstairs to the exhibition space.

1  Thank Adele D