“Great stay”

96 on Arthur
Victoria
“Great stay”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Our stay started badly by not being able to access our keys and finding that the manager is not on site and,after several frantic phone calls, sent the office girl to face us after a 45 minute wait in the wind and rain.(not impressed as l have a medical condition) Dramas aside, the penthouse no 8 apartment is spacious,clean and well stocked with cooking utensils. Only 500m to main town centre although the walk back up the hill is quite challenging. Free car park underneath although hubby had to back the car in as it is a very small space. Free laundry,DVD player and movies provided. Great views from balcony. Overall,highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wiggo53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed here for work recently and I have to say, it wasn't too bad. I mean, it's not 5 star accommodation, but it'll certainly do. The woman that greeted me when I arrived was super friendly. She let me leave my luggage there as I'd arrived early in the morning via a flight from Sydney.

The shuttle bus was cheap and quick. The driver was really funny and friendly. He asked me to get my own luggage out of the back as he was worried about getting out of the drivers seat on such a steep hill and whether his hand brake would hold. I suspect it would have, but I liked his honesty and quirkiness and he clearly could see I was young and fit enough to get my own luggage.

The location is pretty good. You can walk to the CBD where there are coffee shops and restaurants etc. There's also a Coles supermarket about 3 blocks away to get supplies for the kitchen. Be warned though, it may be close, and it's great walking TO the shops, but it's a pretty steep walk back up the hill. You'll burn some calories off that's for sure. I really didn't mind though as I figured it's always good to grab exercise whenever you can.

In terms of the accommodation, as I said, it was okay, but you get a pretty good bargain in terms of cost. The bathroom is dark and cold but it's not like you live in it (I paid extra for a bath robe which wasn't provided so that was a bit disappointing but I forgot until my last night there) and it was nice and clean.

The kitchen was pretty good. I was surprised that there was no frypan so I ended up cooking my salmon at the bottom of a big pot (necessity is the mother of all invention). Otherwise the kitchen was stocked with the bare essentials including a little bar fridge, stove and microwave,

The lounge and dining areas are all open plan with a HUGE wall of glass looking out towards the CBD and the river so that was really nice (pay the extra for the view, it's worth it).

It was VERY cold at night with all the glass, even with the blinds closed, and the a/c really struggled to keep up. I think they need some better window furnishings. I left my a/c on all night 3 nights in a row because it was so cold (and felt guilty at all the electricity I was using). But I tell you what, the late arvo sun streaming in through the glass was stunning.

The bedroom was the most disappointing part for me. The bed was basically very uncomfortable. I guess when you travel a lot for work like I do, a comfy bed is always nice because you're not in your own bed. I'm not sure I'd stay there again unless the owners got some new beds. I was pretty sore and sleep deprived after 3 nights on that bed.

The other thing that wasn't so nice was that if your neighbours are noisy, you hear everything. And by everything, I mean EVERYTHING. On my second and third nights there the people upstairs had little kids who ran around jumping and playing (which is fine, I have 4 kids) but you just heard this thump, thump, thump until mid evening when they went to bed. Then I got to enjoy the young couple behind my unit who were engaged in some lengthy and very loud amorous activity which actually made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I could hear all the details, if you get my drift ;)

All in all, great budget accommodation, especially good if you like to cook your own meals, which I do. I travel so much for work that if I stay in motels I just pile the weight on from eating take-away or room service.

Thanks for a good stay 96 on Arthur. If you get new beds, let me know :)

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra for the balcony and view. It's well worth the cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Geoffreyallan
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Clean, spacious, nice views over river, close to CBD, free laundry. For some units the parking under the building is really difficult unless you are in a Smart Car but this shouldn't distract from the value of this apartment. The manager was able to suggest another park under the building that was not occupied

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Spacious 1 bed apartment in great location - clean and tidy with a big comfy bed and lovely views over the city from the balcony. An easy few minutes walk down the hill to the CBD but a bit of a hike back up again! Easy check in with a code entry to the key box outside the room, this is texted well in advance. I have paid more for pretty ordinary motel accommodation so this was a very pleasant surprise. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed here going by the trip advisors reviews. It was a great location, and the room was big and nice. The only downside was the bed. It had a few stains and hairs in the bed, and they made the bed by placing a sheet down, a quilt down (with no cover) and then another sheet... I felt gross sleeping in this.

We arrived just before 2pm and were trying to find the reception area to checkin in but could only find rooms and the laundry... at 2pm I received a text message from 96 on Arthur with a welcome message, what number room I will be staying in, and a pin code for the safety box out front the room which contained the key. This was fine, but It would have been niced to know this is how you receive your key.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winding_11
Sydney
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is a great apartment at a great value located within walking distance to Launceston city centre.

Check-in is easy enough, we were texted the combination to a box outside the room which contained the keys and at check-out the keys were left at the same location. The apartment has a well equipped kitchen, a stand-alone bedroom and nice lounge area where some DVD's where provided for entertainment. We stayed in room 8 which provided great views of the city below.

The unit provides free off-street covered parking which is great, however the parking space is quite small and for room 8 (which is all the way to the back) it was a bit of manoeuvring in order to back out again. However, there is free street parking all along the street as well so it's not an issue.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Kerikeri, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed here the beginning of January for two nights three adults. We had room seven, which I think has the best view. Little noisy at times from trucks coming up the hill.Very clean and everything we needed, wehad free calls to anywhere in Australia,which was great as I could contact my family after having spent some time on the Tasman Pensinsula during the fires.
Only thing I found was when we got there, there is no reception, and as i had not given a cell phone number did not know what room we had or a code to get in, lucky we had managed to get one of our phones charged to ring for details. There is nothing on Wotif about requiring any pass number. Caught up on our washing great.

Overrall an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room seven for the view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family