“A Great Hotel in Launceston!”

Clarion Hotel City Park Grand
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Sydney, Australia
“A Great Hotel in Launceston!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Looking around for somewhere to stay in Launceston, my Mum and I came across the Clarion Hotel City Park Grand and couldn't have been happier with the two nights we spent here! We got a spacious, comfortable, modern room over in the Stables Block. The bathroom was fantastic, beds comfortable and just an overall great experience. The Staff at reception were very helpful and the restaurant was GREAT (a special mention to the Staff at the restaurant who were very helpful and friendly). Unfortunately the Gym was having maintenance work done whilst we were there, and although I would have loved to have used it, it did not take away from the great time we had at the hotel!

The location of the hotel is well within walking distance to the City, Seaport and Cataract Gorge.

If i were to visit Launceston again, I would definitely want to come back to the Clarion City Hotel Park Grand!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 3PinkLady8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2012

The refurbishment didnt include updating the staff who couldnt find our booking;
then put us 2 floors up, and no lift. We had booked spa suite, as I have a muscle problem and knew a bath would help. No bath in the room they found us. I rang reception and she said she'd find another and would come up to help us move.
We were taken across to the "stables" block and a lovely spa suite, on the ground floor beside the parking.
I had just settled down for a nap when the phone rang. It was reception telling us they were sorry about what had happened but "someone" had cancelled the original booking

Dont know why we had to be given an excuse., and be woken unnecessarily !!

So advice to folks booking here: book through a third party, so you have booking proof, and insist on getting the room you paid for. I would also NOT recommend the original building; ask for the Stables Block.

The airconditioner over the bed was a bit of a disaster. The room was very stuffy, but the window could not be left securely open a little bit, so we did not sleep well on such a warm night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2oldhobartians
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have stayed here twice now and each time I have gotten a different room, but the same timeless luxury in each.

Rooms are gorgeous and beds are lovely and comfortable. Large bathrooms were great with all sorts of amenities, like tooth brush, tooth paste, comb, very old school style of hotel elegance.

The receptionists were all really lovely and helpful and the hotel is quite close to everything. Only a couple of minutes drive from anywhere.

Only downside for me was the breakfast as it is $23 per person, and we didn't really think the variety justified the price.

Overall a great hotel and I will be back,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Enjoyed our stay here. The room was spacious and well appointed, the location convenient, and ample free parking was a plus as well. Lots of things to see and restaurants to visit within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank kbubba
Sydney
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a little over a week as part of our fourth trip to Tassie in winter last year (yes, I know this is a late review, but I felt the need to post it). We booked our room through a wotif special and perhaps because of this, did not get the large room and bathroom other reviewers seem to have received.
On check in, we were offered no help with our luggage (we both had several bags each), which had to be hauled up four flights of creaky stairs to our room (there is no lift). We stayed in the main area of the hotel (not the converted stables).
I had asked for a quiet room and was given one which overlooked the carpark - but this room was not quiet at all - loud cars could be heard from 5am onwards as well as construction work next door and, as a light sleeper, this was not appreciated, especially as I had asked for a quiet room - if they were all noisy, I would have appreciated being told this and given the opportunity to go elsewhere.
We noticed a terrible burning smell in the room, several nights running, and after complaining to staff, were told "there is no way there could be any smell in your room, you are nowhere near the kitchen", when in actual fact, when we looked at our room from the carpark, we saw that we were two flights directly above what looked like the kitchen exhaust fans. Go figure. I don't appreciate it being implied that I have a vivid imaginative sense of SMELL. We asked for a change of room, but were told nothing was available - which was a blatant lie as I could see the reservations screen as I stood next to the desk as the girl "looked it up". There were rooms available, but we were told there were not. I don't appreciated being lied to, either.
The windows were fixed shut and could not be opened. Being someone who likes to have fresh air as I sleep, this meant I had to have the aircon on all night which was frowned upon by staff when I mentioned that this may have been the source of the burning smell ("You don't have the aircon on - do you?????").
My final gripe was the lack of toiletries. I must admit, I do like to save and take home the travel-size products supplied as well as tea and coffee supplies (I use these for work). It must be noted that these were not re-stocked when emptied. On complaining about this, they re-stocked only a few of the items once more during our entire stay. We mentioned this to the front desk at least twice, that they still were not being re-stocked and was only told "I have spoken to house-keeping and the shift supervisor" or something similar and given an appology - it would be much simpler if someone just did their job.
Also, be prepared for the need to battle for car parking each time you leave the hotels and return, which is grossly under-supplied.

The room itself was quite small, but had a bed, desk, table and chairs, small fridge small ensuite bathroom. The shower was probably the best thing about the room! Beware of the floor tiles in the bathroom, they are extremely slippery if you have socks on!

It was clean and served our needs which was a place to shower and sleep, but that's about it.

It was nothing special for the money paid and the service and level of honesty could have been much better.

We are returning to Launceston in one month and it is a shame to try and find yet another nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms directly above the kitchen! And if you have heavy bags, ask for a ground fl...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ZoeHoliday
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed here for two nights before and after a 7 day hike in Tasmania and I will most certainly stay here whenever I am in Launceston and reccomended it to friends and family as well. The rooms were a great size, super clean and well appointed, the bathrooms were also big modern and once again spotless. We stayed in two different rooms on the first level of the main building (not stables) and both rooms were just lovely with old world charm and features. The staff on front desk were some of the most friendly and helpfull I have encountered at any hotel even though we arrived two hours before official check in, and even though it was right in the middle of their staff Christmas party they could not have been more helpfull and accomodating. Very close to town, short walk to the seaport restaurants, short walk to main shopping and to Coles supermarket. Very happy, we will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tiztraveller
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 January 2012

A Fine hotel, kind of "old world" atmosphere if you like that kind of thing. I arrived very early (11am) and they made an effort to prepare my room early for me. the room was big and spacious and so was the bathroom.
Internet was 15$ a day which is kind of annoying for a hotel charging 150$ a night in Launceston. The gym which was one of the reasons I choose the hotel was under renovation something they did not mention in their website. The hotel restaurant was fine for x-mas eve dinner even though atmosphere was a little subdued (but then again, all of Launnie seemed a bit quiet not to say deserted that day ).
If I'm in town again I would probably try hotel Charles which is a part of a chain also running the excellent hotel Collins in Hobart.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo