“Good stopover”
Review of Commodore Regent

Commodore Regent
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I was only here for one night and it was great. I got this as a surprise in a secret wotif deal at a very good price so was very satisfied. I had room 21 on the lower floor which looked newly renovated and had a double and a single bed, and lounge chairs- free fast wifi, comfy bed, spacious room, large flat screen (didnt use so dont know if had satellite channels). I am not sure of the room category but it was a very nice room. You can park outside your room which I liked. The reception staff was helpful. The restaurant menu was good but limited serving hours and in the higher price range.The only drawbacks are: The shower is touchy to get temperature right. i am a light sleeper and it was quiet but there was a truck about 6am that woke me up- not sure what that was all about.
Overall an enjoyable stay and would return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank flyfree8
There are newer reviews for Commodore Regent

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This place is run down both on the inside and outside. We stayed in room 29 and the carpet is frayed at the edges. The door is flimsy and the lock barely holds it shut. The bed and bathroom are clean which makes the short stay bearable, but it should be rated 3 stars at best.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank European_vacation_11
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is located a short stroll into the main city centre.The view from our room was pleasant, looking over Launceston.

To get to our room we had to struggle with our luggage up a steep driveway. We also had to walk up and down that drive way to enter and exit the hotel which was not nice, this would be difficult if you had mobility problems or are not steady on your feet due to age or disability.

The room itself was fine, with a good amount of room and it was clean. Although the hotel does not do room service over the weekend unless you ask. We had to ask for extra toilet paper.

The shower head was too low for my husband (who isn't quite 6 foot) and had to duck and bend his knees to get underneath it. The hot water on one of the mornings was hit and miss. I had to wait for the water to get back to a suitable temperature to be able to have a shower, even then it wasn't as hot as I would have liked. Especially on a cold morning.

When it came to checking out on a Sunday, we asked if we could store our luggage at the hotel for a while as we had an afternoon flight. We were told that reception closes at 11am and that they couldn't help us. They person working behind the counter didn't even offer to call a taxi or give an alternative suggestion. The guy just seemed to be waiting until his shift had finished and didn't seem to care.

When we checked in we were told that even though checkout was at 10am we had until 11am. At 10.15am we had a phone call reminding us that we should have already checked out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel with jet star flight booking which they offered a special rate. I was skeptical about booking this hotel due to mixed review so far! When I checked-in,I m glad that I have made a right choice. They have gave me a free upgrade from superior double to triple. The reception was very helpful to answer my questions. The room is spacious with very bright sunlight shining through the window. Location is walkable to cataract gorge though a bit far. However, it's fine if u fancy a walk after all. I had a lovely sleep with the warm blanket and heater. Shower is functioning well with warm water. It has everything I need for a short stay in Lauceston. I will recommend it to my fds and will not hesitate to come back again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyHitomi
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by the travel centre in town and it was all that we needed. It was 5 minutes walk into the centre of town but still very quiet. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with a good bathroom. We would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back as it is further away from the road
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David R
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The location was across the street from the city park. It was a long walk to the riverfront and the gorge. We were given an upgrade in one of the lower level rooms with a view of the park. The room itself was very nice. There were no grounds to speak of. It was just a very average hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Momski1620
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We travelled to Launceston for a wedding, and only stayed overnight. We were a family group and between our travelling party we had booked 4 rooms. On arrival it was mayhem. 2 rooms ready, 2 not, but the woman on check in had absolutely no idea what was going on. In the end all we could do was laugh. I never signed anything to say i was there or what room we were staying in, on check in or check out. There were others in the lobby with similar problems. One of our group was given a key to a room that already had someone else's belongings in it.

The room was ok, had a bit of a smell to it, but was clean enough. They use those wall mounted toiletries such as 2 in 1 in the shower, and hand soap which was completely empty next to the sink.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was basic but adequate.

The driveway was a nightmare for the elderly member of our party, much too steep to not have hand rail down the whole length of it.

I wouldn't stay there again based on their complete unprofessionalism.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family