“Didn't get past initial call”
Review of The Old Bakery Inn

The Old Bakery Inn
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Devonport, Australia
“Didn't get past initial call”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I have often driven past this establishment and thought it would be nice to stay in a heritage style hotel. But when I rang the reception to book an evening with my wife, the woman was short and abrupt and obviously didn't care if I stayed there at all. I went back to site to look for another hotel and saw the reviews on this place. The number of terrible and poor was amazing- all with the same theme - rude owners and oversold on quality. I have had a lucky escape. Going elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. It might be convenient but you'll regret it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Terry T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Loved the homey atmosphere as soon as I entered the premises. The small reception area looked welcoming and the lounge was filled with various unique knick-knacks and a collection of interesting clocks. There was a scrapbook on the coffee table with pictures and a brief description of the restoration of the property and the different rooms. I enjoyed looking through it and I think it was a nice touch to the whole homey/old world charm feeling.

We stayed in a triple hotel room. The room itself was spacious and clean. Beds were comfortable. A couple of extra pillows and blankets were provided. It was cold at night when we were in Launy but the room had a reverse cycle aircon/heater. There was a small bar fridge and tea & coffee making facilities. Hardly any traffic noise while we were asleep, maybe because of the double glazed windows, no cars at night or that I slept liked a log.

As for the bathroom (toilet/shower), they used dimmable light bulbs (doing their share for the environment). There was ample storage space for personal toiletries and a good sized sink. The light and the exhaust fan were on the same switch, so without a heater in the bathroom it got colder with the exhaust fan on. Sometimes, we ended up not switching the light on to avoid the cold air from the exhaust fans.

The Inn served breakfast but we preferred to sample breakfast elsewhere each morning. My favourite place was Sugar Shack Bakery along Wellington St for its delicious, freshly baked scallop pies consumed in their café style premises. There was an Asian grocery and more food shops within a block or 2 from the Inn. We had our evening meals at Susie Hoong Fat Chinese Resto, just a block away, which was handy in the cold weather.

An ideal base for sightseeing in Launy and surrounds. Short walk to Cataract Gorge and walkable to the CBD.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Yarra Valley, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My partner and I booked this Inn last minute needing somewhere low cost for our first night in launceston but we also were taken by the photos. When we got there we were a little confused where to go but when we went around the back we were greeted by the 'Innkeeper' who was friendly and very accommodating.
We were taken to our room and also given some advice and directions for easy to get to restaurants. We loved the room it was so clean and apart from amazing comfortable bed the sheets were divine and smelt cleaner than mine ever do at home!

Whoever complains about this place being dirty may possibly have eye problems and you can't blame them for that disability.

Breakfast was also a nice surprise in the quaint little dining room, best value for breakfast we received on our entire holiday there!!!

The only thing I thought was missing was a pet for the house such as a little cat or dog.... Then we met Charlotte in the corridors. What a pretty charming pup! At that point I was sorry we weren't staying on because the whole place really does take you back in time and made you feel relaxed and at home.
Love the collectibles around the place, you can tell the owner really has taken years of hard collecting and care in maintaining this lovely little place.

Definitely recommend!!
Thank you!!
Sarah and Shaun, Healesville, Vic

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Sarah M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have stayed in some below average hotels but never felt the need to complain by writing a bad review. This hotel is not all it is cracked up to be on the website. I agree with one of the other customer reviews that the owners are horrible and watch everything you do. I also felt the need to warn others. The rooms are average, the beds are not clean, the pillows and cushions smell. The service is shocking. The owner banged on my door late in the evening and frightened the wits out of me because I complained about the breakfast and also asked if there was a 10% seniors discount. He was rude and obnoxious and even called the police because apparently, according to him, I verbally abused him - unbelievable. He charged me for the stay the previous night and after telling me to leave charged me double even though I only stayed one night. I have never in my life been treated like that although the police were very nice and took me to another hotel. There is obviously nothing they can do unless it is a criminal offence. It really spoiled my holiday and I am glad to be going back to Melbourne tomorrow. It has left a bad taste in my mouth about the accomodation in Launceston. My advice is not to look for budget accommodation. You would be better to look for at least a three and a half star hotel. It is worth it to pay a bit more. Rude and arrogant owner. I think there must be something wrong with him Reading the other reviews I can sympathise and agree with all of them. Do not book this hotel. They do not know how to look after their guests. It is shocking.

Room Tip: Check with people who have travelled to Launceston before as only a few bad reviews on a hotel isn...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Antoinette V
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

This sounded good on some websites and there was a great advertised rate. Unfortunately when going there to book they would not honour advertised rate. Left a bad taste in mouth. Stayed anyway. Comfortable enough but I would always look for alternative. Reasonable location.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank jrr270455
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2013

So glad to have found this place. Very friendly and helpful staff, beautiful accommodation (not sure what our room was called but had a big four post bed, kettle, heater, tv, couch, area to sit in glassed-in porch overlooking the church nearby, and bathroom), and location was great for walk to Cataract Gorge or CBD. Would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely old hotel, well renovated with comfortable bed and good bathroom. Friendly owners, good location and don't miss the wonderful cooked breakfast. Good value for the price. Strongly recommended.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple