“There are better places to stay”

Comfort Inn Coach House
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Adelaide, Australia
“There are better places to stay”
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We had two nights in this hotel.
As previous reviewers have mentioned the site is steep and you have to carry your bags up all of the levels, no lifts!
They advertise that they supply the 'best breakfast in town' but we think it could be improved. You must fill in the breakfast requirement sheet prior to 9pm the evening before with your choice for the hot meal, found it interesting that if you wanted tomato sauce you had to pay an extra 50 cents! The first morning we went to the 'restaurant' we were greated but wouldn't say warmly... we settled down with our cereal and juice to relax over our meal. No sooner had we lifted our spoons and our hot meal was plonked on the table... next day we asked for this to arrive later so we could finish our cereal - and that was done. Comments from other people staying there were similar to ours. Would rather pay more for better rooms, facilities and friendlier staff

1 Thank AussieBella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We started off our trip around Tasmania at Launceston and were staying for one night. I booked the Country Comfort after reading the previous reviews on tripadvisor. Our flight was delayed and reached the hotel at 6:30 pm. After checking in, I asked the guy behind the desk where we could go for dinner, since we knew nothing about the place. He said, "just walk up the road." I asked him how long it would take and he replied with obvious annoyance, "10 minutes". He didn't seem like he wanted to volunteer any more information so we just left.
The room was standard, and the furnishings outdated, except for the TV, which was LCD, but it was smaller than expected. The size is about the same as the computer monitor i have at work. The "free" internet wasn't working either, glad that we took our wireless broadband USB with us. The room didn't look clean enough, and i had my slippers on the whole time. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone - especially after the gentleman at the reception "welcomed" us to Tasmania with such enthusiam.

1 Thank Jessica819

Travellers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Vic Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Other reviewers have mentioned that this hotel is built on a very sloping site, so those with limited mobility ( and cars with low ground clearance) need to steer clear. To this I would add that the rear block is 2 storey and has no lift and the walk to lovely Launceston is uphill coming back!!
Otherwise the room we had for one night was spacious and clean. The breakfast served until 9.00am had been cleared away at 8.55am despite our booking being for a light breakfast but was very sportingly reset at 8.59.
As others have said a clean and decent motel if you can handle the topography!
Do not miss the monkeys in the park !!!!!!

1 Thank pomonia
Auburn, Maine
Reviewed 28 March 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Country Comfort Coach House in December of 2008. Overall we found it to be a pretty average hotel. It suited our need to have a place to sleep in Launceston and it was a reasonable hotel for the price.

One word of caution: The hotel does not have an all-night or on-site front desk staff. We arrived in Launceston after 10pm to find the lobby closed for the night. There is a call box at the lobby door we used to call someone, but then we had to wait for a while as it is an off-site company that handles such requests.

Once we made it to our room we found the hotel to be acceptable overall. It was reasonably clean and comfortable. It's not much to look at nor does it offer any views. The location is reasonably convenient to the downtown area of Launceston. The hotel was pretty quiet (it's actually not right on the street, it's sort of behind another building) and had sufficient parking. We made use of the hotel's laundry facilities as well.

Overall it's nothing to write home about, but if I were in Launceston again I wouldn't be opposed to staying here again. It was fine for the price.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaineScott
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We arrived in Launceston and went to the Information Center to find a hotel. The Country Comfort was recommended to us. The rooms were quite comfortable, clean and the breakfast in the morning was good. We liked the fact that we could walk from the hotel to the downtown area in about 5 minutes, where we had dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The best part is the room was less than $100 per night.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBCATraveler
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Sorry about not reviewing this hotel before now (I stayed there Feb 2006!), but I had forgotten about it until I saw it again when looking on Google Street View. Now it's all come back to me. Plus I was tempted to do so when I saw the operator's response to postings, as they have done here.

Now to my experience.......We needed a hotel before putting family on an early flight out of Launceston back to Canada. We liked it's location overlooking the valley, and the room was spacious enough for the 4 of us. Even though our room was next to York Street (a pretty busy road) the room was quiet. The driveway is STEEP but easily negotiated, just look out when pulling out onto the main road.

I'm sure the room was clean, otherwise we would not have stayed. I had to get up at the crack of 4am to take two members of the family to the airport so they missed breakfast but I came back and my daughter and I enjoyed the fine array of breakfast grub.

According to other posters it seems that the operation has changed hands since 2006, but I'm sure that the bricks and mortar are still the same. Book with confidence, I'm sure that you will enjoy.

TIP: "The Gunner's Arms" is a good pub close at hand (10 mins walking distance, down the hill) at the corner of Cimitiere and Lawrence Streets.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank curlermon
Sydney
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Stayed here early feb for one night on my way to the start of the overland track. Decided to stay here based on previous reviews.

Overall the hotel was good value for money. Interestingly this place changed ownership a few days before my arrival.

POSITIVES

Everything in the bedroom and bathroom was clean.
The hotel is located in a nice part of Launceston.
The staff were friendly.
Because i was travelling by myself i chose to have dinner and breakfast here. The meal was good quality home cooking at a reasonable price.
Some reasonably good views.
Nice and quiet.

NEGATIVES

I had no major issues with this place.
The entry to the hotel and carpark are on a somewhat steep slope so I would not recommend this place for anybody who cannot handle a sloping ground.
If I was on a romantic getaway, I'd recommend one of the great looking b and b's in the vicinity.
Room furniture is a bit outdated but I only paid $110 for my room so can't expect too much.

Overall this place represented good value for money, hence my rating of 4/5.

Graham

• Liked — Cleanliness, restaurant, location
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Holidaylad40