“Awesome studio apartment by the Gorge”

Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #3 of 31 Launceston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

These Tudor-esque looking self-contained apartments are really close to the Cataract Gorge and opposite a great park walk to Seaport Boulevard.
The bathroom is small but the bedroom and living spaces are a great size. Great value with modern decor and clean. Our room had a full kitchen with quality appliances, and most of the time we could park our car right outside our door.
Only negative is the plastic-y covering under the sheet in the beds, which is a bit noisy when you shift in your sleep.
We really enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review about Leisure Inn Penny Royal. We are definitely very lucky to be situated in a beautiful location and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope that we were able to assist in making your holiday a memorable one.

I hope that you enjoyed your time in Tasmania.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Nice room in the studio apartments section. Been modernised, so bathroom and kitchen we lovely. Spent two nights. Close to town, so no problems walking into city.
Room was warm enough. Only steps from car park, up to first floor apartments.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about Leisure Inn Penny Royal. I am glad to hear that your time with us was an enjoyable one, it is always lovely to receive such positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed 2 nights here in room 316, one of the studio apartments. It seemed like the room had been spruced up recently as everything was clean and modern. Nice couch in front of the TV, large comfy bed, modern bathroom and kitchen facilities. It is about 150 metres down the road from the main reception area in what was a 1980's attraction called "Penny Royal World". The attraction has closed which can still be seen but the accommodation has continued. I also learned from a historic guided walk that Penny Royal was the location where the bluestone was quarried. Literally right next door to the entrance to Cataract Gorge and only a short stroll into the city centre.

While the room was modern it did seem dark and stuffy. The room has no airconditioning so I would expect it would be hot in summer. It seemed warmish even in April. The air felt stale and all I wanted to do was to keep the front door open to have some airflow, which would not have been ideal.

There is no free wifi which increasingly seems like a necessity these days. I paid $16.50 for 24 hours of internet with an external company endorsed by the hotel called Jimojo. Don't bother. It was extremely slow. Too slow to even load a page on my iPad. Phoned the company and was told to "sit in reception" and "a technician will look at this tomorrow". As both suggestions were impractical I asked for a refund which I received. I've stayed in many hotels around the world and even the dodgiest hotels I stayed at have had free fast wifi. Surely it can be done here. Another issue was the walls. They seem to be made of paper. Everything could be heard in the next room, Eg. The TV on at 2am, talking, bathroom noises.

I was asked to pay my 2 nights up front when I checked in which I found odd. Upon checking out I asked about receiving my QANTAS Frequent Flyer points. The receptionist then gave a lot of humming and haa-ing about it. I actually had to ask for a tax invoice to be printed and advised I would do it manually. I chose to take the most inconvenient route as the most convenient way seemed too hard for her.

The potential is there but issues need to be ironed out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yblieb
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback with regards to your stay at Leisure Inn Penny Royal.

I appreciate the feedback we have received and I have noted the points you have made with regards to improvements for consideration, and we will take this on board.

I apologize that there were issues with the Wifi during your stay, this is something that we are looking into. Although the attractions are currently closed they are in the process of renovating that area and reopening it late next year, which will be wonderful.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and recommendations, it helps us to continually improve on our product.

Best regards

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Couldn't fault it! We got the biblical 'last room at the inn' at short notice and therefore weren't expecting much... but we were pleasantly surprised. The room had so much character and charm and we had fun. It reminded us of medieval times and we joked and laughed away our night's stay. Huge, updated bathroom with all conveniences and toiletries. Super comfy king bed plus a single bed in the room, window seat, desk and chair and plenty of space. The location is just a stone's throw from Cataract Gorge and walking distance to the shopping mall in the city centre. The staff were great with recommendations and maps for dining options in the city. The grounds are unique and historical and all up we couldn't fault our one night stay here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or stay here again... and I'm sure we will! Great value!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am glad to hear that your time was us was memorable experience, it is always lovely to receive such positive feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We arrived here quite late in the evening so once we checked in, we pretty much went straight to bed. The accomodation looks like converted barns from the outside with an old windmill in the yard area. Unfortionatly we were on the first floor, there was no lift just wooden steps, and with suitcases and bags I imagine this would be quite challenging for some people. The room was a family room with a double and single bed, so plenty of space. There was no air-con and only a small window, which faced the main road. The walls are incredably thin as we heard everything going on in the next room i.e t.v, going to the toilet etc. We also got woken up quite early monday morning by builders putting up scaffolding right outside our window. We also felt disappointed that we were not informed that the restaurant would be closed, due to a re-fit. Had we known there would be building work we would probably picked a different hotel. However it is well located being walking distance from the main town area and the Cataract Gorge.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Carol,

The Tavern which is located onsite at Penny Royal is currently under refurbishment and due to open sometime next month, at this stage. I do apologize that you were woken early with regards to the works, we have had strict guidelines in place with regards to start & finish times, so apologies for this.

I hope that overall your time at Penny Royal and in Launceston was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed in a downstairs studio unit - number 319 - for one night. Room was reasonably comfortable and clean but is not air-conditioned so we slept with window open (fly screen on the window). Motel is in a good location and easy walking distance to Cataract Gorge and restaurants in the seaport area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear David,

We are glad to hear that your time with us was comfortable and enjoyable. Launceston is definitely a beautiful city and we are very lucky to be located so close to attractions such as the Cateract Gorge and the Tamar River

Best regards

Reviewed 30 March 2014

we stayed overnight in the self contained room which is 200 metres down the road and backs onto the old penny royal powder mill I loved it as it reminded me of my childhood as this was the only thing I remember visiting with my parents in tasmania and I would have loved to go back to it had it not been closed down, the lake has dried up and the poor boats look so sad just sitting there, there was a lot of building construction going on as they are upgrading the units and hopefully restoring the powdermill as this was a great attraction at launceston the contruction itself was fine they have a trellis fence up to block out the pennyroyal site and our actual room was fantastic we had the captain russell apartment which was a 2 storey self contained apartment and our bed was upstairs in a loft area with the tv, couch, bathroom downstairs, the bathroom is great it has been refurnished and has everything is in dispensers, shampoo, shaving cream, gel, body lotion etc. the cooking facilities are limited to a microwave only as well as a toaster and kettle. I would stay there again anyday as I loved the feel of the place with the old waterwheel and lighthouse and bluestone cottages and it is centrally located so we could walk to the restuarant for dinner which was a plus.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Sharon,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and you will be happy to know that they are in the process of redoing the Attractions section of the hotel. It is currently under renovation and they are looking at hopefully having this completed by the end of next year.
The plans look amazing.

It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback from our guests regarding their stay and I hope that we see you again in the future.