“Great for family of five”

Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #3 of 31 Launceston B&B and Inns
Bathurst, Australia
“Great for family of five”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location, we walked to the Gorge for Breakfast and the Seaport for dinner. The apartment was spacious enough for five. The only time on our trip we had three bedrooms. We had an upstairs apartment and loved our little balcony and the view of the cliff face out the back. They were doing some restoration work so next time things will be be a bit shinier and new. The bathroom is fine with a separate toilet which is always useful for a family of five. The staff were friendly and helpful and the price was really good value. It is a heritage property so not stainless steel and shiny but lots of character instead. We will definitely stay there again and I recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about Leisure Inn Penny Royal. I am glad to hear that your time with us was relaxing and enjoyable. We are lucky in that the Hotel is situation in a perfect location, close to the CBD and the local attractions.

It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback about the hotel and our staff. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards
Natasha Beck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I guess things would be better if we were not traveling with heavy luggage and had to carried them all the way up to our two-bedroom apartment through the steps. Our apartment is in split levels and except for the kitchen area with sofa, a table and a TV everything else seems a bit small. We traveled in autumn so it's fine to have no air-con. The problem goes to the shower---it appears to be very difficult to adjust the water temperature, the water is either too hot or cold.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review with regards to your recent stay at Leisure Inn Penny Royal.

We appreciate the feedback and I have noted the issues that you have addressed and we will have those looked at to see how they can be rectified.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Best regards,

Hobart
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our apartment served the purpose. The bathroom is quite small but for one night it was fine. It was disappointing to see the disrepair of the Gun Powder Mill behind the apartments, I hope that this will be refurbished to be a functioning attraction once more.

Room Tip: The apartments are good because they have self catering facilities.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am glad to hear that that your time with us was enjoyable. With regards to the powder mill they are actually in the process of renovating the Mill and bringing it back to its former glory. At this stage there is no confirmed date on completion but they are hoping that it will be reopen by the end of next year.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate the feedback.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had a ground-floor 2-bed apartment and did not care about reviews and this suited us really well. A walk directly across the road takes you to the waterfront and was a nice way to start the day. The apartment was perfectly positioned for driving to the Gorge and cable hang gliding and everything else in Launceston is so close (it really isn't that big).

The rooms were clean and good size and had 2 bathrooms. The kitchen/lounge wasn't massive but much better than a hotel room. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review with regards to your stay at Leisure Inn Penny Royal. We appreciate your feedback and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best Regards
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

These Tudor-esque looking self-contained apartments are really close to the Cataract Gorge and opposite a great park walk to Seaport Boulevard.
The bathroom is small but the bedroom and living spaces are a great size. Great value with modern decor and clean. Our room had a full kitchen with quality appliances, and most of the time we could park our car right outside our door.
Only negative is the plastic-y covering under the sheet in the beds, which is a bit noisy when you shift in your sleep.
We really enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review about Leisure Inn Penny Royal. We are definitely very lucky to be situated in a beautiful location and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope that we were able to assist in making your holiday a memorable one.

I hope that you enjoyed your time in Tasmania.

Kind Regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Nice room in the studio apartments section. Been modernised, so bathroom and kitchen we lovely. Spent two nights. Close to town, so no problems walking into city.
Room was warm enough. Only steps from car park, up to first floor apartments.
Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about Leisure Inn Penny Royal. I am glad to hear that your time with us was an enjoyable one, it is always lovely to receive such positive feedback.

Kind Regards
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed 2 nights here in room 316, one of the studio apartments. It seemed like the room had been spruced up recently as everything was clean and modern. Nice couch in front of the TV, large comfy bed, modern bathroom and kitchen facilities. It is about 150 metres down the road from the main reception area in what was a 1980's attraction called "Penny Royal World". The attraction has closed which can still be seen but the accommodation has continued. I also learned from a historic guided walk that Penny Royal was the location where the bluestone was quarried. Literally right next door to the entrance to Cataract Gorge and only a short stroll into the city centre.

While the room was modern it did seem dark and stuffy. The room has no airconditioning so I would expect it would be hot in summer. It seemed warmish even in April. The air felt stale and all I wanted to do was to keep the front door open to have some airflow, which would not have been ideal.

There is no free wifi which increasingly seems like a necessity these days. I paid $16.50 for 24 hours of internet with an external company endorsed by the hotel called Jimojo. Don't bother. It was extremely slow. Too slow to even load a page on my iPad. Phoned the company and was told to "sit in reception" and "a technician will look at this tomorrow". As both suggestions were impractical I asked for a refund which I received. I've stayed in many hotels around the world and even the dodgiest hotels I stayed at have had free fast wifi. Surely it can be done here. Another issue was the walls. They seem to be made of paper. Everything could be heard in the next room, Eg. The TV on at 2am, talking, bathroom noises.

I was asked to pay my 2 nights up front when I checked in which I found odd. Upon checking out I asked about receiving my QANTAS Frequent Flyer points. The receptionist then gave a lot of humming and haa-ing about it. I actually had to ask for a tax invoice to be printed and advised I would do it manually. I chose to take the most inconvenient route as the most convenient way seemed too hard for her.

The potential is there but issues need to be ironed out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yblieb
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Penny Royal Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback with regards to your stay at Leisure Inn Penny Royal.

I appreciate the feedback we have received and I have noted the points you have made with regards to improvements for consideration, and we will take this on board.

I apologize that there were issues with the Wifi during your stay, this is something that we are looking into. Although the attractions are currently closed they are in the process of renovating that area and reopening it late next year, which will be wonderful.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and recommendations, it helps us to continually improve on our product.

Best regards