“Return customer” 4 of 5 bubbles

Launceston Backpackers
Hobart
“Return customer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I'm an Artist who works on Festivals I always book into Launceston Backpackers because of its casual relaxed atmosphere and dependable service.
Its a great location 10 min walk to the unbeliveable Cataract Gorge and 10 min walk into town.
When I've finished for the day I know I can cook up a feast in the huge kitchen that has plenty of room for everyone.
Awesome backpacker one of my favorites in Aussie

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
derek l, Manager at Launceston Backpackers, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hi Fujirama thanks for your review, it was nice to see you traveling through this way again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had a great time here - the location is very quiet but a quick walk to town (though I found very little to do on a Sunday arvo/evening) so easy parking and minimal traffic. Middle of winter so I had the room to myself and was a bit nervous about how cold I would be - you can rent blankets from reception for 50c, so I got 3 just to be sure!
After a fairly rowdy night, I came home very happy there were not too many people staying there - they have a piano in their common room so I had a late night jam sesh with the resident painter, night reception person and another person staying at the backpackers.
The room was sooo warm by the time I got to bed, the heaters are 'centrally controlled' so no option to turn it down if it was too hot, but windows do open if it's stuffy.
Kitchen was large, industrial type set up, and common room was large but cold and only one couch - three PCs set up for internet. TV in seperate common room with comfier couches, and the resident cat is pretty cute to see following the person in reception about.
Great stay, lovely people, would stay here again, preferably when something is actually happening in Launceston!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
derek l, Manager at Launceston Backpackers, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
We appreciate your review Sophie M. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay at Launceston Backpackers. We are glad you found your room warm and comfortable. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a twin room, bathroom shared but clean, kitchen - dining is large and also clean. Reception was very helpful and gave us plenty of tips for the oncoming track in Cradle Mountains. We didn't use the living areas, went out instead. Hostel location is very good, about 10 minutes walk from the gorge and 5-10 minutes walk from restaurants. The hostel is right opposite a park if you just wish to sit out reading a book.
If you are looking for a cheap and clean place to stay at then this hostel is definitely recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Victoria2011 for your review. We are glad you liked the facilities at Launceston Backpackers and thanks for recommending us on the Tripadvisor site.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here as part of an Under Down Under package tour. We found the beds comfy, the bathrooms and kitchen clean and well appointed, and the glorious rabbit-warren of a building charming.

Management were cheerful, helpful and accommodating.

Thank you!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
derek l, Owner at Launceston Backpackers, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you Andrew M for your review. Under Down Under have been staying with us for nearly twenty years now. We are glad you liked our comfy beds. We do keep an eye on the mattress quality and we replace the ones that are wearing out. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your tour around Tasmania.
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

comfy beds with a spare blanket in the cupboard. room heater worked a treat to keep out the winter chill . great kitchen. easy walking distance from anywhere in Launceston, several pubs within a few blocks.. Quiet area. great t.v. room. Very easy to find. Funny old cat is friendly. We had 3 twin rooms for us and the adult kids. communal showers/toilets were very clean and plenty of hot water. Travelled in lots of hostels in europe and this was one of the better mattresses I've had,secure building and well kept. we'll come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
derek l, Manager at Launceston Backpackers, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for your review Donald. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Went to Tasmania with my parents and decided to give them a taste of a backpacker's experience. My parents took the ensuite double room while I took the single room. Stayed in this place for two nights and here's my review:

Room:
- 1 double bed or 2 single bed
- 2 pillows
- Bathroom attached for the double ensuite. Single room has to share a common bathroom
Price for double ensuite - AUSD 67 per night and AUSD 52 per night for single (prices subjected to change)

Facilities:
- Wifi available but you'll have to pay (AUSD 1.5 for 30 mins)
- Common kitchen
- Common dining room
- Common TV room
- Parking available
- Washer (AUSD 3) and dryer (AUSD 2) available, open until 9 p.m.
- Deposit for keys : AUSD 10 per key (refundable)

Pros:
- Good location: town centre, nearby restaurants and supermarket available

Cons:
- The heating panel on the ceiling doesnt really work as the rooms are really cold in autumn. The double ensuite comes with two doonas (wool blanklet) so it's not so bad. For the rest of the rooms, I would strongly suggest you rent a doona from the reception.
- The water in the shower in the ensuite room is a little cranky. Although you adjust the temperature until just right and half way through the shower, the water will suddenly turn cold or hot. Imagine washing your hair half way when scalding water suddenly hits you. Not a fun experience.

Scary experience:
My scary experience in this place was on my first night when I was asleep. Suddenly I heard voices outside my door and and somebody frantically opening the door. I shot up and shouted hey! and it was one of the staff who opened the door. He was showing somebody around and thought that no one was in the room. Granted, it was a mistake and he apologized profusely however something like this should not have happened as it really made me felt unsafe.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay in this place and not sharing with other people (aside from friends), ple...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello Hypernut, we apologize for the fright we gave you during the night. One of our staff picked up the wrong key while showing someone to their room.

Travellers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in an ensuite room which was quite ok. The hostel appeared to be busy whilst we were there but was quiet during the night. ie no parties etc. Off street parking, close to shops and the centre of town. The staff were very friendly, cheerful and helpful. We happened to check out the kitchen, which is quite large and well equipped, at about 6 pm and it was chockers. people everywhere preparing and cooking. So we went for a walk and came back in about one hour. Unfortunately there are people who do not want to clean their mess up until after they have dined. You would think that they could move their food and pots over to one side. I don't know this could be managed - just be patient and come back. This is not a mark against the management, only an observation that some people are just slack. But it's a hostel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
derek l, Manager at Launceston Backpackers, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello Macca46 thank you for staying at Launceston Backpackers and we appreciate your review on TripAdvisor.