“Basil faulty lives..”

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Hobart, Australia
“Basil faulty lives..”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

What can one say but how much more miss leading information can I find on this place.
So let me try and educate others so they don't fall into the same trap as I did. I stayed in the Self-contained Unit and the information I will provide will relate directly back to their web site and what they claim.
1. owners are rude and unhelpful and every time I had to go to reception with a question/concern I was made to feel like an ungrateful guest and the only time I saw anyone smile was when we checked out. ( happy to have our money ) real faulty towers stuff here.
2. The room was damp and unventilated with mould growing on the curtains (so much for climate control systems as advertised ). They advertise an ensuite, but in reality no such thing unless you call the bathroom upstairs near the kitchen an ensuite. Banister rails on the stair well very unsafe for younger children ( if the width still passes OH&S regulations I would be surprised ) And carpet that looks like it has not had a clean in years.
3. They advertise a indoor heated pool in reality the ambient air temp was warmer than the water and maybe they should advertise it as a polar pool. And stay away from the spa we used it on the last night and I drove all the way back to Hobart with 3 kids with gastro.
4. The guest laundry was a joke they must have over 30 rooms available but only 2 washing machines and 2 dryers for usage.
5. The wifi usage would keep dropping out and constantly needed to be re-booted and to maintain the connection was almost impossible.
In short if this is all you can get you have been warned as in my personal point of view I would rather stay home.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank singledad101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My partner and I stayed there for 4 days and found it to be a great value for money. The owners were warm, friendly and approachable and always willing to help. We had dinner there and the steak was amazing (make sure you get the prawns with it as well!). The rooms were relatively clean and big and the beds were comfortable and warm and there was no noise. We found the location to be convenient as it was easy for us to navigate to the main highway to get to attractions such as Cradle Mountain, Wineglass Bay and Launceston Airport.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and definitely recommend the place to other travelers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Briancon, France
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Thanks to all the family, I had a wonderful time staying in this hotel!
I really enjoyed meeting the owners and chat about our travels in different countries.
The food was awesome and the bed really comfortable.
I didn't have time to try the swimming pool and the spa but would love to have a swim next time if I ever come back in Tassie!
Thank you again for your warm welcome and I hope to see you again!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Traveller
Reviewed 12 March 2011

This place is run by a family, father and son see to reception and mother is the cook. Restaurant food is excellent and well priced. The view is wonderful over Launceston. Free internet is a bonus. $105 per night was value for money. Good size room with Queen bed and most comfortable. Very clean. Windows can be left open with fly screens in so plenty of fresh air. Parking right outside the room. Staff are very pleasant and helpful. There are family suites and plenty for the kids to do. Great playground and very safe. Games room for the older kids.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We booked this hotel through wot-if (as we often do), as it was the only place available for the night we wanted. We discovered later that this was because the V8s were in town the next day...
The rooms are a little dated. But the room we had was spacious (Queen bed, single bed, table, large bathroom) and had a deck. Best of all, for a longer holiday, it came with a microwave! So we could actually prepare some food in-room and not eat out for once! Another bonus was the free in room wi-fi, this is the only place we stayed in Australia that had it.
The pool and spa were not quite warm enough, but were pleasant, and it was a treat to sit in the spa and watch the wallabies roaming the playground in the evening.
Right on a main road and above the motorway, we were expecting more noise than we got, and we slept quite well. Its a fair way out of town, but still only 10 minutes drive to the city.
The free breakfast was another plus. The food was basic, but enough to get you started.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We arrived at Launcesto Airport on a Sunday night at 9pm without a hotel reservation. This was definitely a mistake! So we were very lucky that we found this place at 22h15 with someone still receiving us. The staff was extremely friendly. We had an apartment which was divided on 2 floors: upper floor kitchenette, bathroom, living room. Down a squeaky stair led to the lower floor with 2 bedrooms, 1 with a queen-size double bed and the other (small) room had a single bed and 2 bunk beds. No heating in the small room!
We had nice views and it was relatively quiet. Breakfast was nothing fancy, but we had a nice dinner at the City Lights Restaurant (of course not at 10pm! It was the second night.)
Well located, a short drive from the city centre. They have free wi-fi internet, but it never worked during our stay. Nice place, I can recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Thank luke.traveller
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The Village Motor Inn is conveniently located a stone's throw away from one of the hearts of Tasmania, Launceston. The apartment we stayed in was warm and inviting; there were 2 rooms, one heated and the other with heated beds, which was a very nice haven from the cold outside. The kitchen was well-stocked with clean utensil. We stayed for 2 nights at the Village Motor Inn; on the final day of our stay, my daughter left behind her mobile phone in the apartment. She didn't realize the loss until we were at the Launceston Airport. By then it was too late to travel back to retrieve it. I called the Village Motor Inn and spoke to Steven. He was empathetic of our plight, and assured us that he'll look for the phone. A few hours later, he confirmed that the phone was found. Since we're already at the Melbourne Airport, leaving for S'pore soon, I asked for the phone to be shipped back to us. Steven again assured us that he'll do that. 2 weeks later, I received my daughter's mobile phone. Steven even had the shipping charges waived. We are very delighted to receive phone. Thanks to Steven and the folks at Village Motor Inn! We had a pleasant time at the Village Family Motor Inn and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family