Elphin Villas, Motel & Serviced Apartments
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Balmoral on York(Launceston)
View Hotel
All reviewsbedroom villaconvection microwavea big shopping centrehour supermarketmin walk to the centrereception staff were very helpfulself contained unitclose to shopswatch tvcooking facilitieshandy locationplace to staythe ground floorfree wifioff street parkingwashing machinebed was very comfortable
Reviewed 21 February 2012

An awful experience at Elphin Villas in Launceston. I've made a booking via BOOKING.COM of 2 bedroom suite for 4 person with confirmation that confirmed the rate at $150 however we were told $150 is for 2 person to stay in a 2 bedrooms suite so $60 more has to be charged for extra 2 person upon check in. I then contacted the online agent and they said its kind of misunderstanding in which they will deal with the hotel remind unchanged the rate. However the Receptionist Cathy was couldn't be more than rude. She had never listen to the guest and kept saying that we are CHEATING in which she noticed i did put for 4 person stay in the booking. I had never tried to cheat that we are 2. So I requested to see the manager Tania Seward for help and let her to talk to the agent but she ignored. As a hotel manager she has never try to listen and help the guest but put all the responsibility on the guest even she noted our confirmation showed $150 but still insisted to charge us $210. I expressed I felt upset that her staff Cathy was terribly rude to said we were CHEATING, but she agreed and used her finger to point at the guest when we were making complaint.  It's unbelievable as a hotel manager could be such ridiculous and even couldn't handle such a minor case. Since we felt like being set so we decided to cancel the book then I called our agent to cancel the booking without any pentalty. However, Tania said we could do whatever we like but she will still charge our credit as late cancellation fee. I explained that it's not we intended to give up the accommodation but the problem was the rate showed difference in which not our fault. And asked her not to steal money from us but she horribly replied that it's not her money and she doesn't care. Since we felt helpless and wanted to call police. The awful manager Tania said she was happy to call the police for us but the police won't involve and no one could help us. After wasting 4 hours time there we left and my credit card was charged $210 right after. It's irridicuous to be charged for 4 person as it should only be charged the basic room charge for late cancellation or no show. We found that we were over charged then we called the hotel receptionist Cathy who stated that she didn't know anything and couldn't contact with the manager Tania then ignored the overcharge issue. I then called Tania on the next day regarding the over charge however she replied that she didnt understand what I meant and hung me up again. I felt so disappointed with this awful experience at Elphin Villas in Launceston.

We found North Lodge with nearly a half price to stay in a penthouse. The hotel manager Renee she was so kind and helpful. She welcomed us and started conversation with us. After she found that we've got such a terrible day she then free upgraded  us to a penthouse with spa in the room as she also disagreed the attitude and the bad handling of Tania in which she would like to try her best to give us a pleasant stay and forget the bad impression about Launceston. I very much appreciated  Renee as she has the right attitude to work in the hospitality industry.

I've been working at hotel for 11 years and I'm now working for Hilton hotel. I have never seen a hotel over charge the guest and stated that it's according to the owner's instruction !! It's awful & ridiculous  !! How could a hotel manager to do such to ruin a happy vacation of the tourist?!

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank MoniqueWu
Ollie08, Manager at Elphin Villas, Motel & Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

As per our previous reply to your sisters review 2 days ago, I again emphasize that TripAdvisor is a site for honest reviews to assist travellers.
I am sorry you created such an unpleasant experience for yourself by misunderstanding the Booking.com website.

Management

Reviewed 19 February 2012

our first time to tasmania and the day spoiled by this hotel. We booked thru an online agent which quoted us a wrong room rate. Upon checking in, the receptionist Cathy was horribly rude and judgemental. I made the booking for four but didn't know why the online agent quoted a price for two. The hotel wanted us to pay more but of course we refused. The receptionist then said we tried to CHEAT them. She even said "a lot of people tried to do this... ". We requested to see the hotel manager Tania who at the end charged my credit card FOR FOUR PERSONS without notice! I would have CALLED THE POLICE if time allowed. since she insisted charging us instead of letting us cancel the booking, we took a look of the room. The interior badly need renovation. Its old and the beddings are dirty. The lightings also inadequate. Quite bad impression generally. (the online agent allowed us to cancel the booking without penalty but the hotel turned it down). Anyway, trust me, don't stay there. Its not worth the money. There are numerous motels along elphin road and we paid cheaper price finally but stayed happily at another motel with a magnificent view of launceston from the balcony. Don't risk spoiling your holiday like we did.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank getawaybee
Ollie08, Manager at Elphin Villas, Motel & Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

We at Elphin Villas, appreciate and acknowledge feedback from our guests, whether it be positive or negative.
TripAdvisor is a site for honest reviews to assist travellers and not a bargaining tool used to post negative comments, when a guests unreasonable demands can not be met.
The booking site on this occasion did not quote the wrong rate. It is clearly stated on the website that the discount rate is for 2 adults and then $30.00 per person.
The online agent also did not allow this booking to be cancelled without penalty, in fact a site Supervisor explained in detail over the phone to the guest, her obligations once the booking was made.
I commend our receptionist Cathy for her professionalism under the extremely unpleasant circumstances she had to endure and am very confident that past reviews and our many repeat customers ove the last 30 years of trading, speak for themselves.

Management

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Very good value for money. Across the road from a 24hour Kmart and a large supermarket open to midnight. No noise from there carries which is good. We had a two bedroom apartment which was clean with parking available right out the front. Came with kitchenette. Thoughtfully placed in the fridge was a pitcher of cold water and ice ready for your arrival. It's the simple things isnt it? My only negative was the fact they forgot to set up a baby crib for us however the positive was this was rectified within five minutes. Very good service. It was an honest oversight. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank meaganl78
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Recently stayed two nights in a standard motel suite and used it as a base to explore the wine trail through the Tamar Valley and look around Launceston itself. The room had the basic requirements for overnight accommodation, was clean & quiet at night. Elphin Villas is in close proximity to a large supermarket complex, parks etc and gives easy access to the main roads in the valley. The staff were friendly and provided helpful advice. Represented pretty good value for money & a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: If staying longer that a couple of nights look at the one & two bedroom apartmentts
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Upon arrival to the Elphin Villas we noticed the great location. Right next to central park. This is an amazing park for the kids. However, when we opened the door to the rooms it had a smell of damp.

Our room looked very clean and tidy but the smell was a bit off putting. The units are of a decent size and they have a mini bar.

We had a good night sleep and the beds were comfortable. Overall, our stay was good but it highly unlikely we will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family