“Spacious and convenient but a little basic.”

Elphin Villas, Motel & Serviced Apartments
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We booked a one bedroom studio which had enough room to sleep four people. There was a queen sized bed in an alcove room and then a separate room with 2 single beds. In addition the studio had a spacious lounge area with TV, a kitchenette and a good sized bathroom.

The kitchenette is well equipped although it took a while to locate the stove top cooking facilities - a plug in 2 element affair kept in a drawer whereas I was looking for a bench top stove. The microwave was a convection/ microwave. I have always found these a bit daunting to use but there is an instruction book available for the technologically challenged!
The heating was good and it was nice to have an outdoor area to look out on to from the lounge room.
Elphin Villas are very conveniently located, only a 5 minute walk to the K Mart Plaza, close to the city centre, and not far from St Luke's hospital.
The reception staff were very helpful when we phoned to make our booking and were very understanding when we had to cut our planned 5 day stay short to 3 days, and did not charge us. Much appreciated.
Our room was right towards the downhill end of the Villas close to Racecourse Rd so a little noisy at times from traffic. As a hint, when booking request a room closer to the reception end, the uphill part, as I think this would be more secluded and quieter.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PenelopeHobart
There are newer reviews for Elphin Villas, Motel & Serviced Apartments

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed in motel room for four nights while in Launceston for work and was quite happy with this motel.
The room was not very large but big enough for one person with a bed, table and chairs. The microwave, toaster, kettle and breakfast supplies (cereal, bread, butter and jam) provide a breakfast option which is useful as there is no restaurant onsite.
The room met most of my criteria for a good stay by having a hot shower, adequate heating, comfortable bed and easy to access power points by the bed and the mini bar.
The only negative points are that the window coverings don't block the light, so wouldn't be idea if you don't want to be woken up when the sun gets up. Also that they only provide a minimal service over the weekend, so the bin was emptied and towels were changed but nothing else was done.
The location is pretty convenient - even without a car. There is a Coles and K-Mart just across the street, as well as a pub which provides a decent evening meal. Alternatively a 10 minute walk or $5 taxi ride gets you to the centre of town where there are some really nice restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BVBV
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Recently spent one night at the Elphin Villas with my husband and daughter. The Elphin Villa's are in a great location for a self-drive holiday, easy to reach from CBD with car, easy parking & a nice walk (About 15min), opposite a 24hr Kmart & Coles Supermarket which is open to midnight.

The staff were very friendly and effecient, which was nice to see, very helpful.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom Villa, which is spacious enough for 2 Adts and 2 Children or 2 Couples. The room had everything you would need for a short-term comfortable stay. The room has had a recent refurb which was nice to see, as there are many apartments in Launceston which are long overdue. Some small attention to detail was required, such as an un-finished paint job in the room, flecks of paint on the floor, fridge has some spilt liquid inside and the bathroom whilst clean overall, could do with some attention by making sure cleanig includes on the floor behind the door and down the side of the vanity (Dusty), easy to miss, however is noticed by guests.

We stayed on the ground floor as it was easier with an infant and you can access the garden area from your room. I must say however that we could hear every movement from the noisy guests up-stairs and the stomping and closing doors was loud enough to wake out daughter. So if you are a light sleeper and don't mind a few stairs I would probably say that the up-stairs would be a better option. Not really the fault of the Elphin Villas, just noisy guests and poor building design I guess.

I would stay here again and reccommend this property to my clients (I am a travel agent) and family.

Good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LoveTravel7109
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Myself and 2 girlfriends stayed in a 3 bedroom villa. The Villa was nice, comfortable and had everything you need... although some Austar would be good. The beds were comfy and there were 2 bathrooms which you definately need for 3 women, lol.

My only complaint is that the heating is a little stingy. There is an electric wall heater which works really well when it is going, but it is on a timer.... so you go out for a while and come back to a cold unit again. Not to mention over night... brrrr.

The location is great, you can easily walk to the mall, and it cost us a grand total of 5 bucks to get a taxi back the room after a night on the town :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KadenJen
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Second stay here now, this time for leisure, perfect location for exploring the city on foot (hire car also made it ideal base for Tamar day trip). From memory, room seemed refurbished since last stay 18 months back and very clean. Boutique feel to this place and excellent service (happy to spend time assisting with driving itinerary/ sites to see etc) make it great value for the money. Will hope to be back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie L
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Fantastic stay, our family has regular visits to Launceston and always stay at Elphin Villas, very friendly and amicable staff, premises always A1 standard, and very central to all of our needs.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan P
Reviewed 21 February 2012

An awful experience at Elphin Villas in Launceston. I've made a booking via BOOKING.COM of 2 bedroom suite for 4 person with confirmation that confirmed the rate at $150 however we were told $150 is for 2 person to stay in a 2 bedrooms suite so $60 more has to be charged for extra 2 person upon check in. I then contacted the online agent and they said its kind of misunderstanding in which they will deal with the hotel remind unchanged the rate. However the Receptionist Cathy was couldn't be more than rude. She had never listen to the guest and kept saying that we are CHEATING in which she noticed i did put for 4 person stay in the booking. I had never tried to cheat that we are 2. So I requested to see the manager Tania Seward for help and let her to talk to the agent but she ignored. As a hotel manager she has never try to listen and help the guest but put all the responsibility on the guest even she noted our confirmation showed $150 but still insisted to charge us $210. I expressed I felt upset that her staff Cathy was terribly rude to said we were CHEATING, but she agreed and used her finger to point at the guest when we were making complaint.  It's unbelievable as a hotel manager could be such ridiculous and even couldn't handle such a minor case. Since we felt like being set so we decided to cancel the book then I called our agent to cancel the booking without any pentalty. However, Tania said we could do whatever we like but she will still charge our credit as late cancellation fee. I explained that it's not we intended to give up the accommodation but the problem was the rate showed difference in which not our fault. And asked her not to steal money from us but she horribly replied that it's not her money and she doesn't care. Since we felt helpless and wanted to call police. The awful manager Tania said she was happy to call the police for us but the police won't involve and no one could help us. After wasting 4 hours time there we left and my credit card was charged $210 right after. It's irridicuous to be charged for 4 person as it should only be charged the basic room charge for late cancellation or no show. We found that we were over charged then we called the hotel receptionist Cathy who stated that she didn't know anything and couldn't contact with the manager Tania then ignored the overcharge issue. I then called Tania on the next day regarding the over charge however she replied that she didnt understand what I meant and hung me up again. I felt so disappointed with this awful experience at Elphin Villas in Launceston.

We found North Lodge with nearly a half price to stay in a penthouse. The hotel manager Renee she was so kind and helpful. She welcomed us and started conversation with us. After she found that we've got such a terrible day she then free upgraded  us to a penthouse with spa in the room as she also disagreed the attitude and the bad handling of Tania in which she would like to try her best to give us a pleasant stay and forget the bad impression about Launceston. I very much appreciated  Renee as she has the right attitude to work in the hospitality industry.

I've been working at hotel for 11 years and I'm now working for Hilton hotel. I have never seen a hotel over charge the guest and stated that it's according to the owner's instruction !! It's awful & ridiculous  !! How could a hotel manager to do such to ruin a happy vacation of the tourist?!

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank MoniqueWu
Ollie08, Manager at Elphin Villas, Motel & Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

As per our previous reply to your sisters review 2 days ago, I again emphasize that TripAdvisor is a site for honest reviews to assist travellers.
I am sorry you created such an unpleasant experience for yourself by misunderstanding the Booking.com website.

Management