“Fantastic service”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Dromana, Australia
“Fantastic service”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Sebel Launceston is fantastic, I regularly travel Tasmania with business and they never disappoint, the staff are always happy and very welcoming and friendly, the ladies at reception always go above and beyond with any requests. The rooms are clean and quite comfy, food is also good value and hits the spot. Always look forward to my stay at The Sebel

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bardy1
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thankyou Bardy1 for taking the time to post a response on here based on your stay.
I am delighted you found the room and cleanliness to your liking as well as our restaurant food.
I will also pass on your comments regarding the service you received to the rest of our team.
I hope you have the chance to visit again.
The Sebel Launceston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Shellharbour, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Wanting to give my 86yr old mother and a friend a holiday with something special to remember I decided that the Sebel would be perfect. Needing separate rooms with space the
Four Bedroom Spa Suite was the only way to go.

After traveling 1600klm from Sydney to Hobart then up to Launceston and spending over a $1000 for 2 nights, breakfast not included. I was dismayed by the fact that I firstly had to be my own Porter carrying 5 suitcases and handling my partially invalid mother into reception. Although pleasant the concierge was less than enthusiastic about being there.

upon entering the room and settling in, we noticed that nearly all surfaces were covered in gritty dirt and food crumbs were under the dining table. Although our concerns were rectified promptly and with apologies, it was apparent that the cleaning staff are slacking off considerably. These things may seem petty to some but are a major part of first impressions.

I will list my other complaints as succinctly as possible.

Tired and worn out appearance,
Severe black scuff marks from children suitcases and carelessness on walls.

Ensuite shower broken held together with a screw, points everywhere but down.
Coffee Plunger disgustingly dirty and rusty ...................(pictures to prove it)
Brown stain similar to plunger on ceiling light................ (pictures to prove it)
Toaster slightly rusty and crumb tray broken handle
Hotel Information Book pages stuck together with sticky Alcohol spill from previous occupants
Cracker biscuits found under couch.

Now to mention the in house food. Most of which was below average at best.
Ordering a $35 Scotch Fillet, it was totally inedible being tough, dry and sinewy. Also ordered an Expensive $$ Wagu Beef Burger which although filling was dry and reasonably tasteless. On day 2 I ordered 2 in house Pizza's, these we found were actually frozen, we knew this as the pastry was soggy, raw in the middle but at least hot.

Now for the complements.
Staff were very friendly and always helpful. Having had numerous other hotel breakfast offers in the past the Sebel is lacking in its variety and value. However my wife and I had a lovely cooked breakfast on the Wednesday, our compliments to the chef.

Having read past comments from customers and reply’s from the hotel going back quite a way, I find it unusual that most genuine complaints are met with the same response of ongoing maintenance during the off period. In some instances this may be true however in regards to my concerns it takes nothing to paint a few walls between customers and minutes to replace a broken shower. After observing the hotels practices it appears that the cleaning staff should be either retrained or let go as they are affecting the hotels appearance and reputation.
All in all we were comfortable and very happy with the room in general, it was quiet, has beautiful views of towards Cataract Gorge and overlooks the Tamar River which makes for a very relaxing stay.

I would only hope that other Sebel Hotels around Australia have higher standards.

Room Tip: From other complaints anything above the second floor and not on the city clock tower side.. The Fou...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Graham C
Thankyou Graham C for your detailed feedback. I do appreciate the time you spent on this.
Our 4 bedroom apartment is one of our most popular in the summer months. I am sorry about the cleanliness of that room as this is not an accepted standard from us. We have plans for some upkeep very shortly when we have the chance to get into it for a week. This does include a re-paint of the room. We did complete approximately 80% of the hotel prior to January.
Our new restaurant and room service menu commenced on the 3rd March and I am happy with the feedback so far. In saying this I did pass on all your comments to the team in the kitchen.
Should you be staying again, I would welcome the chance to consider The Sebel Launceston. Please feel free in contacting myself should this be the case.
Brisbane
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked a Superior suite with separate bedroom and balcony. The room was excellant, modern and clean with a great bed. In our week's stay in Tasmania the Sebel was the best accomodation we experienced and certainly value for money. I would have preferred if the car parking fee and wifi was included in the room price rather than being charged as an extra (car parking $8 per night). The location was great within walking distance to the city centre. We skipped the breakfast preferring to eat at the Elm Tree Cafe on the corner. The restaraunt looked largely abandoned in the evenings as most guests appear to prefer to eat out.
Would definately recommend this hotel to others and would consider using it again for the next stay in Launceston.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveKinlan
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thankyou DaveKinlan for your feedback.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay and the facilities and condition of our rooms.
I have just viewed our new restaurant menu featuring a nice selection of Tasmanian produce. While many guests do eat out when on holidays, we do get very good feedback from our restaurant meals and I hope you have the chance to try if you are visiting Launceston again.
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The staff make a hotel and the Sebel has got it, During our stay Gavin, Tara and Maree were exceptional. All our needs were met quickly, efficiently and with a smile. Dinner in the restaurant was amazing. Would recommend this hotel to anyone, we would have loved to of stayed longer.

• Stayed February 2014
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thankyou travelleriau for the comments posted on your stay.
Your feedback on the service you received from our team means so much to myself and I will pass this on to them and the rest of the staff. As you mentioned, in our industry where every hotel has a certain similarity in what is provided in a room, the service is what enables anyone to stand out.
I hope you have the chance to visit again.
MORWELL
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Sebel Launceston for one week in January and enjoyed the experience. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful and the location was a short walk away from the City Centre and the port restaurant area.
The Room was spacious and very suitable for a long stay. The restaurant food was great and the staff eager to assist with any questions.
Would recommend as a great place to stay in Launceston.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thankyou John G for your kind words.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and the level of service extended to you from the entire team.
I hope you have the chance to visit again