“Well appointed and modern”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Sydney, Australia
“Well appointed and modern”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a trip to Launceston. The reception ave a good impression and our room was fresh and modern with all the features of a one bedroom apartment: aircon, kitchenette with fridge and microwave, bathroom with washing machine and drier, separate bedroom with wardrobe, iron and ironing board. There is a small balcony with table and chairs. A good feature if staying with family or friends is the ability to connect two adjoining rooms by closing the corridor main door. The Receptionists were helpful and provided a map of Launceston and gave directions for places we wanted to visit. We have stayed at other hotels in Launceston over the years and The Sebel now rates as the best we have enjoyed. Well worth a stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thankyou JohnLevingston for your review posted on your stay.
Both myself and the team are very happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
The Sebel Launceston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

traveling on business. Had to wait 15 minutes to check in as staff walked past smiling. Not one asked if we need any help.

Restaurant service was slower, had to get own menu and almost went to get my own drink.

The steaks was the only thing that I would get back for.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thankyou Nicholas A for this feedback.
I apologise that the front office staff was away from the desk attending another concern. In general we do have it manned at all time.
While we have trained most of our staff from the restaurant to work with the front office systems we still have a few to go which would have assisted in this instance.
I have passed on your comments to our restuarant staff. I am pleased you enjoyed your steak. We have only recently welcomed a new head chef and his attention to local produce is definately being well received.
I hope you have the chance to visit us again where we can show this instance was a one off.
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sebel for 2 nights on a business trip. My room on the first floor was noisy and there was no ventilation or extractor fan in the bathroom. Instead of inputting my Le Club Accor Platinum membership in, reception created a new account for me and put the points from the stay to a separate new account. But the worst part of the experience was the broken airconditioning. I was not offered another room or any compensation. Simply given a tiny fan the size of a tissue box to help circulate the air - which, given the size of the room was a complete joke. The other alternative I was offered was to open my windows, again this was not helpful as the room was quite noisy even with the windows shut. I was left with either putting up with the stuffy room or opening the windows to the noise, neither of which left me with a good night's sleep. I appreciate that these things do happen, but the way in which this was handled and the alternatives I was offered left me very disappointed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank juztan
Thankyou Juztan for your feedback on your stay.
I do apologise about the way we handled your stay. Our air conditioning unit which can have the temperature raised and lowered was set on the heating mode instead of the air conditioning mode for that room when inspected by our maintenance team.
I have gone through with all our team so they are fully aware on how to use these units as they can be difficult to understand.
I am also sorry that your loyalty details were not recognised on checkin.
Please feel free in contacting myself if you need any assistance with any other booking here in Launceston or any other Accor hotels.
London, England
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Having stayed at the Sebel in Adelaide we had great hopes for the Launceston one and for its restaurant and were a bit disappointed on both counts. We arrived on a Saturday evening and the single reception staff seemed harried and unhelpful. Our room was huge but had crazy utilities for a couple only spending one night there - it came complete with washing machine, dishwasher, fridge freezer - you name it. I'm sure some people would make use of it though it was pristine clean and looked as though it had hardly been used. The bedroom, which could be screened off from the lounge area, was pleasantly large also and sleep quality was excellent. No view - we looked out onto a blank wall but I'm not sure any view would have been great as the hotel is located outside the main city area with very little in amenities around it. We ate in the restaurant and had not exactly my best meal of the holiday as my steak was on the cool side, but the prawn starter was up to scratch. Good, mainly local wine list.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank notacouchpotato
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thankyou notacouchpotato for your feedback.
Being a cbd hotel and with rooms facing out on all sides, the views tend to be of the city buildings. In high occupancy times we do need to use every room available.
Our one and in particular two bedroom style apartment rooms do have many features for those staying a few days or wish to have an element of self catering in their rooms.
I have passed on your comments to the kitchen and we have completely changed the menu with our new head chef since you have stayed back in February. The feedback so far has been very warming.
I do hope you have the chance to visit Launceston again.
Once again I do appreciate your comments
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay at the Sebel for three nights, and was also " bunkered down here" in one of the meeting rooms for 3 days. The rooms are excellent. Large, comfortable and self contained. The breakfasts were great, served by incredibly attentive and friendly staff.
Dinner in the restaurant was excellent. We were a party of 12, and were well looked after. Food was fabulous and wines great!
My only down side was the catering provided at the meeting room. For my colleagues, the sandwiches, scones, cakes etc looked fantastic. Unfortunately I am coeliac, and the lunches were quite frankly inedible. Speaking with the staff they attempted to assist, but even on day 3, I was still not able to eat the dry, unappetising sandwich provided. Yet all other meals in the restaurant, my gluten free needs were easily accommodated.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ries_Kitchen
SebelTas, General Manager at The Sebel Launceston, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thankyou Reis_kitchen for your feedback on your highs and lows.
I do believe I have communicated with you privately and while we do try and cater for all dietary needs, I am sorry we let this down from your conference meals.
I have passed on your comments to our head chef so that we can further improve the options for special dietary requirements to all our meals and not just those provided in the restaurant and in room dining.
I am very confident this feedback has enable us to change some options for those using our conference facilities so that everyone can enjoy the meals we provide.
Once again I genuinely appreciate your feedback.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I stayed with my parents in February. Four people in a two bedroom self continued apartment. Was disappointed from the start. Run like a motel, not a well known hotel brand. The room was a very odd configuration. You enter into a very dark, dim corridor. It had two bedrooms, but one leads onto the lounge with double sliding doors (no privacy). Bed 2 has no outside walls, so it has no windows. Claustrophobic! There were two bathrooms and a separate toilet, but toilet has no ventilation, nor extractor fan. All the furniture was tired and basic. Plus, the website photos show a completely different setup, so the lounge appears to be twice as large as it is in reality. It is actually the lounge AND dining, they just moved the tale out of the way and rearranged the furniture for the photo. very deceiving. The bathrooms has recently been refurbished, but very obviously on the cheap - plastic bath, no extractor fan, and very odd vanity which appeared to have drawers/or doors, but they were false and didn't open. Finally, when booking a two bedroom apartment for 4 people, I expect a table large enough for 4 people with 4 chairs. Not at the Sebel… It was a tiny 2 seater "cafe" style table. Overall very disappointing for a Sebel branded hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thankyou soozinoz for your valuable feedback.
I am sorry you were dissapointed with your stay.
While we are planning a refurb of our lobby and the restaurant in the coming months, all the rooms are still in their original condition from when the hotel was built nearly 9 years ago.
We are making plans for the change down the track but for now our focus is on the cleanliness and up keep of them along with improvements in our wifi and in room technology.
We have two types of two bedrooms here at the hotel. The superior is on the far side of the hotel and whilst they do have two bedroom and two separate bathrooms, they are not as big as our two bedroom deluxe rooms which have much larger living areas, both bedrooms with natural light, a larger balcony and more furniture and there is a price differential between both rooms.
Once again I do apologise about this misconception and I will review the images we have for the room types.
If you are chosing to stay again in Launceston, I would welcome the opportunity to call us so that we can ensure your stay is up to the expectations you have of the Sebel and one in which we in general pride ourself on.
Belmont
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in two bedroom apartment, plenty of space for 4 people. Two bathrooms made stay more comfortable. Great position handy to town center habour and restaurants. Stayed in room 222 which overlooked loading bay do not stay Sunday night as rubbish collected early Tuesday morning.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thankyou dmorr for your comments on your stay.
I am happy you found the style of our 2 bedroom apartments suited your needs.
Being a cbd hotel we do have some situations which we have to manage from time to time with garbage collection from neighbouring businesses being one. We do try and communicate with them about the noise and the time of the day for collection to avoid disruption. If you are staying again, please feel free in contacting the hotel if you have any specific wishes.