“Definitely not 4 Star”

Best Western Plus Launceston
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Arrived very late due to flight delays.The guy on the desk was friendly and apologetic when he told us that we couldn't put our breakfast orders in as they had to be in by 9pm. Why on earth didn't he then explain that they did, however, have 24 hour room service? Why didn't he explain that I could have (a) ordered something to eat that night and (b) could have phoned my breakfast order in next morning? Instead I ate a packet of potato chips and a cookie for my late might dinner/supper and then had to drag myself down to the dining room for breakfast and rush breakfast down instead of having a leisurely breakfast in my room while I got ready.

Anyway, that aside, I was very disappointed with the room. On check in I was told I had been "upgraded" .....really? If that was one of their better "upgraded" rooms then I would hate to see a standard room. It was very ordinary, very plain and spartan. Certainly not 4 star. Maybe 3 star at a pinch. The bathroom was tiny and cramped, so much so that I kept banging my elbow on the door when I was trying to brush my hair. They did have nice big fluffy towels though and for those people who like the "pod" style coffee there was a Nespresso machine in the room.

The bed was so-so, neither firm nor soft and the pillows were terrible - but it all didn't matter because I hardly slept a wink despite the fact I particularly requested a quiet room. My room was on the street side and all I heard until the early hours was the noise from street revellers and cars roraing up and down and some peculiar banging that continued into the wee small hours. Then to top it off along came the garbos banging and clashing bins. Then, just as I had managed to fall asleep at 4.30am, some street hoon started racing around in the street revving his/her engine and squealing tyres. So I was a very cross and unhappy camper next morning with less than 2 hours sleep.

In fact, I was so tired I didn't have the energy to eat breakfast. I chose the full buffet which cost something like $24. There was an "a la carte" option at $14.50 which would have been wiser given I hardly ate a thing - but because I had had to forego having breakfast in my room (due to oversight of not being told about room service) I didn't have much time and was worried if I ordered a la carte it wouldn't get served in time. So I paid the full whack just to have a half a glass of orange juice and two poached eggs. I didn't have the time or the energy to make toast or have anything else. I would have loved a cup of coffee but their coffee offering was one of those dreadful "pod" machines. So sorry but I don't like the coffee out of them. Rather go without.

So i am very sorry to have to report that I did not enjoy my experience at the Best Western in Launceston. My colleague, however reported that he slept like a baby and was mit disturbed by noise (he was on the car park side of the bullding though) and he also said that his bathroom was a nice size and his room was ok. This did not serve to improve my demeanour next day - it really annoys me that when a male and female work colleagues are travelling together, the male colleague always gets assigned the better room. Why is this?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Leon W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear BrisCaz,
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay and I would like to apologise for the misunderstanding about room service. AAA Tourism have rated us as 4 and a half stars and we do our very best to live up to that independent assessment. The Nespresso coffee machines in many of our rooms have proved very popular but I am sure we could have found you an alternative style if asked. I am sorry you did not have time for breakfast; there’s an extensive buffet with many cold and cooked items (bacon, eggs and so on) and it is possible to have a substantial breakfast within a brief time frame. Please be assured that we do not practice gender (or any other) discrimination when allocating guest rooms. I would love for you to give us another try next time you are working in Launceston.
Regards,
Leon Wood

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Launceston

Reviewed 20 September 2013

The staff was very welcoming. Arranged me a room even though I arrived before check in time.
The restaurant and the bar were fantastic. The bar has a full tram car where you can enjoy a few drinks.
Room was spacious with a a great deal of daylight and nice view. I stayed at the 5th floor.
The hotel is located in the middle of all the good places you want to go to.
Shopping and churches in every direction.
Albert Hall and a few park in the area.
The staff was really incredible. Always had a smile in their faces.
Great stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Hi, mauroisch,
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and our freindly servcie. See you again soon I hope.
SIMON MARCHANT

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We arrived very early due to return of hire car - the staff could not have been more helpful suggesting we pop upstairs for the smorgasboard breakfast and then a room should be ready. True to their word it was. The rooms are a little tired looking but clean and roomy. I have back problems so the first thing I tried was the bed and it was great. We stayed four nights enjoying their ample breakfasts and room service meals. The Tram Bar has a great atmosphere. Will be back.

Room Tip: Great eateries not far from this hotel, all within walking distance. We were on the 4th floor had no...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveller982013,
Great to hear you had a good time with us. Hoping to see you back in The Tram Bar sometime soon.
SIMON MARCHANT

Reviewed 5 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Reviewed 5 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Booked into a Mecure hotel to find that when we got there it was in fact a Best Western. Rooms were not air conditioned and were quite stuffy. Beds not very comfortable and blinds didn't open. We did, however, get amazing chocolate brownies from room service one night. The hotel probably does meet expectations of a Best Western, but certainly didn't meet my expectations of a Mecure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear sjlgg,
Thank you for your review. Best Western took over this hotel from Mercure in August. We are currently upgrading many aspects of the property including the provision of cooling air-conditioning. Best Western conducts extremely strict Quality Assurance assessments and this will assist us in improving and I hope you may come back sometime and see for yourself.
Regards,
Simon Marchant

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Firstly, they changed the name of the hotel and didn't tell us.
Then we had to pay for parking for two days when out voucher only was for one day.
Our room was supposed to come with free Wifi, Tasmanian fudge and Sparkling water, our whole stay they allowed 30 megabytes of data or 30 minutes, there was no sparkling water or fudge.
there were paint brush bristles in the paint work in the bathroom and the paint was all uneven.
The television was the size of a laptop.
We were really looking forward to our stay here as we booked one of their premium rooms but were highly disappointed.
once it came to showering, you had to jump out of the way to not get sprayed by cold water.
Down beside one side of the bed was caked with dust,
They only good points I can Think of were the location and that the bed was comfy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear lyana95,
Thanks for your comments. When the hotel became Best Western we did get in touch with all guests for whom we were given contact details. I'm very sorry you missed out on the fudge but bottled water is complementary for all and Wifi is free in a Privilege Room. The TVs are 26" but these might become larger once our planned refurbishments take place. I hope you may return then and enjoy the improvement.
Simon Marchant