Arrived very late due to flight delays.The guy on the desk was friendly and apologetic when he told us that we couldn't put our breakfast orders in as they had to be in by 9pm. Why on earth didn't he then explain that they did, however, have 24 hour room service? Why didn't he explain that I could have (a) ordered something to eat that night and (b) could have phoned my breakfast order in next morning? Instead I ate a packet of potato chips and a cookie for my late might dinner/supper and then had to drag myself down to the dining room for breakfast and rush breakfast down instead of having a leisurely breakfast in my room while I got ready.
Anyway, that aside, I was very disappointed with the room. On check in I was told I had been "upgraded" .....really? If that was one of their better "upgraded" rooms then I would hate to see a standard room. It was very ordinary, very plain and spartan. Certainly not 4 star. Maybe 3 star at a pinch. The bathroom was tiny and cramped, so much so that I kept banging my elbow on the door when I was trying to brush my hair. They did have nice big fluffy towels though and for those people who like the "pod" style coffee there was a Nespresso machine in the room.
The bed was so-so, neither firm nor soft and the pillows were terrible - but it all didn't matter because I hardly slept a wink despite the fact I particularly requested a quiet room. My room was on the street side and all I heard until the early hours was the noise from street revellers and cars roraing up and down and some peculiar banging that continued into the wee small hours. Then to top it off along came the garbos banging and clashing bins. Then, just as I had managed to fall asleep at 4.30am, some street hoon started racing around in the street revving his/her engine and squealing tyres. So I was a very cross and unhappy camper next morning with less than 2 hours sleep.
In fact, I was so tired I didn't have the energy to eat breakfast. I chose the full buffet which cost something like $24. There was an "a la carte" option at $14.50 which would have been wiser given I hardly ate a thing - but because I had had to forego having breakfast in my room (due to oversight of not being told about room service) I didn't have much time and was worried if I ordered a la carte it wouldn't get served in time. So I paid the full whack just to have a half a glass of orange juice and two poached eggs. I didn't have the time or the energy to make toast or have anything else. I would have loved a cup of coffee but their coffee offering was one of those dreadful "pod" machines. So sorry but I don't like the coffee out of them. Rather go without.
So i am very sorry to have to report that I did not enjoy my experience at the Best Western in Launceston. My colleague, however reported that he slept like a baby and was mit disturbed by noise (he was on the car park side of the bullding though) and he also said that his bathroom was a nice size and his room was ok. This did not serve to improve my demeanour next day - it really annoys me that when a male and female work colleagues are travelling together, the male colleague always gets assigned the better room. Why is this?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Launceston is conveniently located in the city centre, 15 minutes drive from the airport and 2 minutes walk from the main shopping precinct. The hotel features 116 rooms,FREE WiFi, a restaurant specializing in local produce and a cocktail bar. Nearby local attractions include the James Boag Brewery, Launceston Seaport and Cataract Gorge. #FREE WIFI# ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Plus Launceston reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Launceston Hotel Launceston
- Accor Launceston
- Best Western Plus Launceston Tasmania