“Fantastic!”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Hobart, Australia
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of our room. We had an executive king and the beds were super comfy and the bed linen was crisp and clean. The coffee machine and milk frother in the room was a great touch. Shower was great and room decor was also lovely. The heat pump kept our room at the right temperature. I could hear some noises from the street (we were on the top floor), but my ear plugs worked a treat. The buffet breakfast (which was included in our deal), was great and a fab way to start the day also. The hotel was so close to everything...just leave the car there and walk. I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014
Leon W, Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Madeleine P

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the BEST WESTERN PLUS during your recent visit to Launceston and taking the time to write of your experience at our hotel.

I was pleased that you found the new King beds to your liking and that the staff looked after you.

Leon Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The staff at the hotel were welcoming and helpful. The room was warm and comfortable. We enjoyed a drink in the tram bar which was novel. One of our best meals in Tasmania was at snappers restaurant. The hotel is in a great location with good cafes and bars within easy walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank JuneMarty
Dear JuneMarty

I was pleased that you liked your meal in the restaurant. We have just employed a new local chef that is producing some wonderful meals..

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Good value for money.
Just make sure you order complimentary toiletries at reception, like toothbrush, bathrobe and etc. There are not ready in the room, but you can order for free.
I only realised on the last night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ling Z
Leon W, Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Ling Z

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Launceston during your recent visit to Launceston

I was pleased that you found our complimentary toiletries at reception, sorry it was on the last day

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Spent 1 night there

the good
- central location
- parking behind the hotel (for a small fee)
- clean room and bathroom
- baby cot ready in the room when we arrived
- super friendly staff

not so good
- not stylish hotel, just ok renovated
- no centralised aircon, just a portable one

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear axelgfrsyd

I was pleased that you found the Hotel central and the staff super.

The room you stayed in was only partly refurbished we are in the process of installing air-con units in all the rooms and upgrading the remaining fixtures. When you return these will all be completed.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed here last night for one night for business.

The hotel itself was built in the 60's/70's and they've worked hard to upgrade it. It's comfortable but walking into you're bathroom you're reminded it's an old hotel.

Good: Reception / checkin / checkout / modern appliances / comfortable bed / and it's located in the middle of Launceston. If you were going to the theatre it around the corner. Breakfast was good quality and staff were very friendly.

Bad: I booked my room on a promo that came with a free bottle of wine & free wifi. The bottle of wine was never offered, and the free wifi didn't work. You need to pay $6 per day for parking.

It's an ok hotel in a central location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Semisential

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Launceston during your recent visit to Tasmania

I was pleased that you found the Hotel to your liking. We will be upgrading the bathrooms next year.

If you could please make contract with me at the Hotel so I can discuss the Wifi and the bottle of wine you did not receive. 03 6333 9999

My apology for the late reply to your comments.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Going to keep it simple as this place isn't really worth my time in writing a review, however it is only fair I warn others to spend their pennies elsewhere! Ambiance was dated, bathroom was still dirty (toilet in particular) room service was cold and tasteless, was charged a nightly fee for parking however had to park on the street 3 blocks away as no spaces were available, customer service was by far the most appalling I've received in a hotel. I travel regularly & never been confronted with such arrogance from "customer service staff"... I'm sure management will soon reply with a post apologizing blah blah blah, not interested. Lost me for good!
My advise, check out Hotel Charles in Launceston, great place to stay!!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank f4ntom
Leon W, Manager at Best Western Plus Launceston, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear f4ntom

I regret that you are uninterested in our attempt to rectify your poor experience here at the Best Western Plus Launceston, but as in any other industry there will always be good experiences and bad experiences. My job as the General Manager is to do my best to ensure guests leave my property satisfied with their experience, and on the occasion that product or service may fall short of expectation it is up to me to go as far as need be to rectify this.

While we aim to present exceptional service to each individual guest I do apologise that on this occasion we are unable to meet your expectations.
We have had very good feedback about our rooms that we are refurbishing and we are moving through to the bathrooms in due course. Since your comment about room service we have had a new chef start with us.

It is only through guests such as yourself that we can continue to improve on the previous standards and experiences.

I would like to discuss this matter with you and get you back into experience a true Best Western Plus experience

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back

Kind regards

Leon Wood

Travellers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Devonport, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Ambivalence? Yes, 'fraid so!
As is always the case, there are good and bad points with any place of accommodation. The good were very good: Presentation, cleanliness, proximity (only 50-odd paces from hotel to theatre for a performance of 'Phantom') and a comfortable bed. But no air conditioner (our room was equipped with a small pedestal fan and an even smaller portable panel heater). The room was small, as was the table but, for one night, just ample.
Biggest shock was the disparity in breakfasts. A continental breakfast was excellent: Good sized bowls of natural yoghurt and Bircher muesli, followed by half of the nicely done toast were excellent for the most accurately named of all meals. But the cooked breakfast, poached eggs? Lifting the lid from a huge (35-odd cm) plate, there were two - perfectly cooked - pullet eggs clustered together in the centre for company, accompanied by not one thing more…! No triangles of toast. No slice/s of tomato, no sprig of parsley. That's where half the toast from the continental went!
Basically, for the price, it deserved two stars but we agreed on three because of the good points; it had to be rated at least average. We won't stay again. There is better value only half a block away at the Balmoral… and at a vastly better price.
PS - What is the smell through the building? Our floor (two) had a strange almost musty sweet odour. Is it the cleaners/air fresheners used…?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JJCR_1_13

I was pleased that you found the hotel facilities good and that the staff looked after you. I have passed on your comments to our team about Breakfast. This is not our normal standard so my apologies.

With regards to the sweet odor on level two during your stay, we had a guest flood a room at the end of the Hotel. The smell was the carpet cleaning.

Kind Regards